International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 09-26-2018, 08:59 PM
232 I6

Loving the story! The bike is pretty killer.
1965 mustang fastback
1972 international travelette
Yes I have a problem that’s why Iam here
Old 09-27-2018, 08:21 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Your garage looks awesome! Are you a Navy veteran? The colors look like Haze Grey and deck grey. Your bike is legit!!! I love the tires and bare metal tank! Your work sound like a typical job on these: Pull it up to find/fix the oil leak, end up replacing the clutch, fixing exhaust leaks and rebuilding an axle. Oh, then the oil leak comes back.

Not a vet sir, just liked the color combo.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:18 AM
230 Tornado

I REALLY need to work on providing more regular updates. A lot has happened since the last one. So picking up right where we left off:

Got the transmission and transfer case pulled off. Found out what that awful noise was when pushing in the clutch. Looks like the input shaft sleeve was rubbing on something creating a lip, one that prevented the throw out bearing from coming off. I ended up having to grind it down to change it out.

Video here -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/hRegMnNrA8vBnL2z9

Clutch and pressure plate out. The heat markings are mesmerizing.

Pilot bushing is completely effed.

New parts in. Went with the cheapest set at Autozone, about $100, and bought a new flywheel from Amazon. All in, about $250 in parts. I cheaped out since I will be converting this to an automatic, I only needed it to last about 4 months.

After that, she ran great.
THEN, she starts running a little hot

Last edited by nstevic01 : 03-20-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 AM
230 Tornado

…at least according to the gauge. Before this the gauge didn’t work, but I narrowed it down to a wiring issue and got it up and running. The needle tended to live right in this area, occasionally creeping into the red. Either the sender is bad, the ground is bad, or the gauge is bad.

I testing the resistance at the sending unit and everything seemed to be ok. It did hesitate a bit when the gauge read hot, but everything was within spec. I had read somewhere if the timing was off, it could cause the same symptoms. So I got out the trusty timing light and got to work….until that is, Jo gets hungry and decides to eat my timing light…

So reluctantly I bought another one and was a little more cautious with the routing of the wires. Timing was off by a couple of degrees. Once that was done, I got my newly acquired muscle grill installed! Took me the better part of a year and parts from 3 grills to get the mustache, chrome muscle combo I needed.

Next up was tackling the install of the correct mirrors. I had bought these about a year ago and have been waiting for the right time to install them. One of my friends had picked up a rivnut tool awhile back and I was fascinated by it. So I ordered one of my own off of Amazon thinking it would be perfect to install the mirrors with. $60 later and it was at my door.

Took off the old mirrors, masked off my holes, drilled them out, and installed the nuts with some silicone. Came out pretty good.

Things were good for a while, then about 2 weeks ago, disaster struck. I was driving home from work and it just dies while driving. I had to push it into a gas station. I was getting no spark at all. So I had to call my tow service through Hagerty and about an hour later, I was on my way home.

I dug into it the next day after work. Not knowing exactly where I was going to start, I figured the ignition module would be the best place to begin. Organized rats nest was the best description of this setup. While acceptable, the previous owner had installed the MSD 6A piggybacked off the stock ignition module’s tach output. It works, but if the stock unit fails, the whole thing fails.

Ewe…

So I took a look at the distributor while I was in there. Something tells me this reluctor is not supposed to be digging in to the pickup…

Got all of the ignition parts replaced, new reluctor, cap, rotor, pickup, and plugs. I was finally able to get it to fire up, but the starting was very laborious. Eventually my solenoid started glowing red hot and started sparking. I think its time to replace all of the battery, starter, and solenoid wires.

Fired right up….then it died. Ugh… the brand new reluctor split in half. Most likely due to a poor casting.

Once I got that squared away I started work on the roll bar. There needed to be a tab welded on for the cb antenna. I just happened to have something that would work perfectly in my scrap box.

Added a few coats of paint.

Got the bar mounted up and installed the 6x9 and 4x6 lights.

So that’s it for now!

Last edited by nstevic01 : 03-20-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:26 PM
350 Buick

How about resizing your pichers? Really hard to see what you're up to.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:39 PM
258 I6

Update...

Its that time! Also noticed the Pasco plate, you're not that far from Manatee co. and I need some help and advise!
Looking good though.
'19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21
Old 03-20-2019, 05:44 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
How about resizing your pichers? Really hard to see what you're up to.

I'm not seeing a way to resize them. I posted them on a couple of other forums and they are normal size. Not sure what's happening.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman1
Its that time! Also noticed the Pasco plate, you're not that far from Manatee co. and I need some help and advise!
Looking good though.

What did you need help with?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:11 AM
230 Tornado

So I found a way to resize the images, however, now its not letting me fix my earlier posts. It ended up erasing most of one of them. Ugh..
Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 AM
327 Rambler

nice j-10

IT HAS A GREAT STANCE

you have done some nice work

enjoyed your photos and posts.

keep us informed on next steps

dve in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstevic01
I'm not seeing a way to resize them. I posted them on a couple of other forums and they are normal size. Not sure what's happening.
What I do after I take my pictures, I save them to my desktop, open them in paint and resize, re-save them, then upload them. I use an Iphone SE and re-size them to 20% of original and that comes out pretty well.

The only way I know to fix the old pics is to repost them. So once you have them uploaded into whatever service you use (google, photobucket, flickr, whatever) get you link, go edit your post, and put the new link in where the old link was. There may be easier ways but that is the only way I know how.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 03-20-2019, 04:27 PM
230 Tornado

Quote:
What I do after I take my pictures, I save them to my desktop, open them in paint and resize, re-save them, then upload them. I use an Iphone SE and re-size them to 20% of original and that comes out pretty well.

The only way I know to fix the old pics is to repost them. So once you have them uploaded into whatever service you use (google, photobucket, flickr, whatever) get you link, go edit your post, and put the new link in where the old link was. There may be easier ways but that is the only way I know how.

The issue Im running in to now is editing the old post doesn't retain most of the info. It's like its hitting some sort of limit without telling me. I have backups of all my posts with the links, but when I paste it in, it only saves about a paragraph and thats it. I reached out to the site admin to see whats going on.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:08 AM
350 Buick

Quote:

Rang, download this free app. You can save the pics to your desktop in different sizes without having to resize them. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi...380326191?mt=8
Old 03-22-2019, 06:38 AM
232 I6

You "Only need it to last 4 months"?
Is that the trans or what?
Are you going to an auto? I might be interested in the flywheel/clutch assy
I'll PM you.
Thanks
Errol
Old 03-22-2019, 09:16 AM
230 Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockosocko
You "Only need it to last 4 months"?
Is that the trans or what?
Are you going to an auto? I might be interested in the flywheel/clutch assy
I'll PM you.
Thanks
Errol

4 months is what I needed to get out of the clutch setup before switching to the auto trans. Ill look for the PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:51 PM
230 Tornado

Does anyone know an admin that can reach out to me? I submitted request through the contact us link, but have heard nothing yet. I need to figure out what is breaking my posts on the first page.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:58 AM
258 I6

Cool build man! Definitely following this one.

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old 06-02-2019, 12:54 PM
230 Tornado

Twister truck

I took a photo with a truck on Memorial Day that says it is the #2 of four different trucks used in the movie. Apparently this one is from Guthrie where some of the movie was shot.

https://instagram.com/p/Bx5JwArJ8f4/