X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Holy smokes! A 4 in 1 drott bucket AND a backhoe That's a machine there. How cool to have both. Does the hoe have a drum swing frame or is it an open cast one? You can do a lot of different things with that machine. Great picture. And very interesting on Grainger having the part. It is very important to shop around. JD is more than proud of their parts and often they are the exact same.

Mine is a 1975 6405 6 way blade with ROPS.

I am putting a LOT of unintended work into it. Today was the start of a new wiring harness with tinned marine wire. I am waiting on that injection pump to button up the new 4239 motor.
    Here is the new block with a kit in it. 8 gears on the front of that motor and yours too. All timed together.

And the parts waiting for install.

Just about the last of it all here.

This is the only time ever that it will be this clean.
    Thanks for posting fleetfox! That is a handy looking machine.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
      Ha,ha... You got it Rang. My username over there is oldmetalmender.

EDIT: I was able to post pictures this morning. In case you are bored...
      I am really enjoying following this along! I never thought an old tractor would be so fun to see "restored". Now I kind of want one...
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

The best advice I could ever give is don't do it. Unless you had property that needed a lot of work, and paying someone to perform the work for a break even costs of purchasing one, run like hel*.
        We have been saving for 5 years for what I predicted.... A replacement engine.
        I have blown that budget so far away it is unnerving. I keep finding stuff that is to messed up to leave alone. Like this... Splines wiped down to a knife edge and probably a weeks worth of work from failure. One of the mounting bolts was stripped and it was always moving. Replacement splined shaft 120 bucks and not to be found anywhere. NLA. 950 bucks for my only option, a new pump.

Another example. My shift knobs are all worn and sun bleached. John Deere wants 78 dollars each for them. Holy moly they are a plastic phenolic round ball with no metal insert even. I found perfect replacements on McMaster Carr for 3.72 each. Stuff like that is a nice find, but some things can't be substituted. I absolutely love fixing things up. I am enjoying the repair work on this crawler. But I simply don't earn enough money to support this machine to keep it in the reliable condition I prefer. Soooo, realizing I really don't need it after some property clearing this summer, and finding it leaves a huge mess moving snow, I am going to sell it later. I am pretty sure of that. I get by fine with my plow truck, snow blower, and an old backhoe I paid a very low price for. Keep watching for the final product. I should get my injection pump and the turbo that started this thread in a couple days. I can button it up and turn the key. But unless you need a tool like this one, don't bother. I have mixed feelings every time I wrench on it.
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
          The best advice I could ever give is don't do it. Unless you had property that needed a lot of work, and paying someone to perform the work for a break even costs of purchasing one, run like hel*.

yup. had a TO35 fergusen. used it quite a bit but dont miss it. now i have a case sr200 skid loader. much more useful.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Your tach looks AMAZING!!! I love the little crankcase emblem at the bottom! So cool!
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

Hey you saw it. Cool! I was wondering if I had ruined it. But it glued back together just fantastic. Never mind using a 1/2 teaspoon of a 34 dollar tube of urethane glass adhesive. I put the dash back in this last weekend. The gauges tie together just perfect. I hope to finish assembling the engine this week. If you look at the vandalism cover thread, I ended up building two new ones from scratch for username BTown. One for me and one for him. I will be painting them tonight. So delays happen. I am pretty jazzed about having a good running crawler. At least part of it is purdy.
              Melford1972 says...
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• FleetFox
                258 I6
                • Apr 04, 2018

Pulling for you here! Get it done so you can shake it down before spring comes. Then you be ready to put it in the dirt and have some real fun! I know my list is waiting after the spring rains are done!

Fleet Fox

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                  360 AMC
                  • Oct 02, 2002

Funny how many things keep coming up that keep me from working on it. At least I am not doing it for someone else and the self imposed guilt is almost not there.

I am finding I should have taken more before pictures. The manuals only show so much and I am having trouble with a few things.

I got all 8 timing gears and injection pump on and timed yesterday. The timing cover is on and sealed. I need to hang it from the chain and get the rear adapter on with the million pound flywheel. Then finish painting the block.

I was wondering how to get after the elaborate break in procedure in the manual. How to load the engine. Well I took a look at the 11 very large snow piles here and got that one figured out.
                  Melford1972 says...
                  -----------------------
                  I make wag parts
                  1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                  1968 M715 restomod
                  2001 Dodge 3500
                  2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• FleetFox
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 04, 2018

You know what they'll say on the crawler forums. find a really big stump and run it full throttle against it for a while... But really, it's a small , low HP diesel that is going to spend it's new life running in a narrow power band. It's not a fragile high HP engine, that's going to see a variety of operating environments like a truck motor would. I would guess run it hard for a bit until your convinced all the rings are well seated then just vary your throttle position/ rpms for a few more hours to prevent any "flat spots". The hardest thing on the motors in these machines I think is the driveline shock from the direct drive over time. That, coupled with dirt ingestion and poor maintenance over time.

Fleet Fox

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

Well here is the break in procedure. Looks like the stump is last. A dynamometer.... yea RIGHT>>>>!

P.S. I'd never try that. I would worry about breaking the transmission. All that raw new power.
                      Besides, the trees here blow over if a deer farts in the same zip code. I would just have a big burn pile.
                      Melford1972 says...
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• FleetFox
                        258 I6
                        • Apr 04, 2018

I've seen your work, I bet you could build a dynamometer out of a broken toaster oven...

Fleet Fox

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 02, 2002

I laughed so hard there my wife had to ask.
                          Now you got me thinking.... 3 thousand bungee cords, an old hose reel, a ten speed bike, and some duct tape!

The good news is, that set of axles I missed out on meant that I stayed home today and got the entire diesel engine painted a super bright corvette yellow. OK so it's really John Deere old construction yellow, but it's darn close.
                          I just might land it tomorrow if the paint dries enough.
                          Varoom!
                          Melford1972 says...
                          -----------------------
                          I make wag parts
                          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                          1968 M715 restomod
                          2001 Dodge 3500
                          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                          X