International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 06-07-2019, 03:14 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

anyone here into 3d printing?

I feel the need to rid myself of some troublesome extra cash i happen to have lying around.......

I think i would like to dabble in 3D printing for making widgits and small replacement plastic parts. I think i want to spend about 500 bucks for a starter printer, i would like one that is dependable and can use any brand filament. some sort of included autocad software would be bonus. I looked on amazon and cant wrap my head around the reviews.

what are "must haves" when looking at printers - and is there a good forum out there for newbies?

Any suggestions?

Steve

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 06-08-2019, 08:43 PM
232 I6

I haven't bought a printer, but did figure out how to turn an MRI of my shoulder when I needed surgery into a 3D printable file. Sent it to these guys: https://www.shapeways.com/

Was like $80 and now I have a high resolution model of my actual bones on my desk. It's kind of neat - could see where the actual break was. Also, the centers of the bones are hollow where the marrow is. Pretty weird!
Magnum Roller Rockers
Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
Performer Intake
Holley SA 670
MSD 8523
Dakota Digital custom cluster
Serehill headlamp harness
NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
...but the parts live on
Old 06-12-2019, 03:47 PM
230 Tornado

I'm not an expert on 3d printing, but I've thought about getting into it too.

From my understanding most printers have their own software (typically proprietary) which takes the 3D model (usually in a generic format like .stl, .x_t, or .step) and uses it to set up the machine parameters and generate the code to run the machine. To make your own 3D models you'll need CAD software and the know how to use it, otherwise you're stuck downloading models or having someone else create them for you. There are some free online CAD systems (like Onshape.com) but I'm not sure if they let you download to .stl or another format for use in the printing software. Professional CAD software is way too expensive for hobbyists.

There's also a lot of considerations in exporting / importing your model (like with the resolution of the solid mesh, stress points in the design) and with its positioning on the print bed (like the grain of the print, where the scaffolding needs to be, etc.) which can get really technical. In a lot of cases you have to tailor the design to be 3D printed (sometimes over / undersizing certain features, no threads, etc.). When you're starting out I don't think that's a major concern though.

As far as the actual physical printer I'd think about the largest part you want to make and get a printer with that size of print area. The larger the area the more it's going to cost.

I'd also look for one with a full frame (U-shaped top bar) rather than the single stick type since there's a big difference in the stability of the printer head, and therefore the quality of the printed part.

The bed type is another consideration which should be chosen to match the material and part size you're printing.

I also would only ever get a printer with some kind of recovery built in for if there's a power interruption. On a larger and more complicated part the print time can be on the order of days, so I wouldn't want to have to scrap a part because of a power blip.

Not an endorsement, but this is the one I'm pretty close to buying: https://www.creality3donline.com/off...ter_p0117.html

Once you're set up you can join an online group where people can send you models and pay you to print them for them, which is pretty sweet. Not sure if it would be profitable for you though!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:05 PM
350 Buick

I don't know anything about 3d

but I do know EPSON always gives a Big Bang for the buck

( if they make 3d printers )

good luck.

if any more troublesome cash Is found

send some to me, to put into this 76 j10 I am working on.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Check out this FB group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Crea...?ref=bookmarks

This is the printer I bought, have been too busy with the CNC to play with it.

Here's a link to a site that you can download a lot of cool stuff that is already to print

https://www.thingiverse.com/

Once you get your printer you will have to tweak it in. Also learn some software like Cura.

https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ul...-cura-software

Do you have a makers space in your city or near by? We have Factory Two in Flint,Mi. Which has four 3D printer and CNC and Laser cuttter.
If you join the space you can use the equipment.

Look under reservations to see all the equipment they have.

Here's the link https://factorytwo.org/en
Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Last edited by men in black : 06-13-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:05 AM
327 Rambler

I have 4. The learning curve for these never ends. Each different material has it's own learning curve. Automotive materials would be PETG or ABS not PLA it can't take the interior temps and wilts. These aren't at the set and forget it level yet like 2D printers are. The parts that these make are not as strong as injection molded parts because of being made in layers.

I my honest opinion the best beginner 3d printer is the Monoprice Select Mini V2, less than $200 sometimes cheaper, 120mm cubic build volume, can do PETG and ABS with some machine mods.

Use the free open source solid modeling software like OpenScad or Tinkercad to model parts with and the slicer software that comes with printer to generate the g-code for the printer. Engineering background helps.

It's a hobby for me.

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene