International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 02-01-2019, 06:59 AM
232 I6

new jeep truck commercial

I wonder who was the genius in marketing that told Fiat that destroying a classic Jeep Truck would attract potential Jeep buyers? The only way I'd be interested in buying one would be if they ran the commercial backwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naq2yFTwA_c
Old 02-01-2019, 09:31 AM
258 I6

Wow they didn't even put a disclaimer that "No original Gladiators were harmed in the filming of this commercial".

I could have gotten on board with the new truck if it was an actual two door truck and not this chevy avalanche looking thing.

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
"Soon" is a relative term, also cracked cylinder put a hurt on me
Old 02-01-2019, 10:14 AM
350 Buick

Resurrection of the name Gladiator just bumped the value of J trucks. Small price to pay.
J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 AM
232 I6

Disgusting. Looked straight and not much rust
Old 02-01-2019, 12:06 PM
350 Buick

Old 02-01-2019, 12:32 PM
327 Rambler

The instrument cluster wasn't Gladiator. The fuel filler bezel was last generation also. So not an original. Still makes me sick seeing kittens getting killed.

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene
Old 02-02-2019, 10:13 PM
327 Rambler

This saddens me tremendously even though it seems to be a later model disguised as an older one.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Meh. Advertisers seem to see some value in being provocative. They'll do whatever it takes to get your attention. The fact that we are all standing around discussing it means that FCA is getting their money's worth on their advertising campaign.

This was a later model J-truck hastily gussied up to look like an early Gladiator. I imagine it was rotten in a few places and probably headed for the wrecking yard anyway.

We can all complain it being crushed, but assuming it was rough enough to be on its way to the JY, the real question is how many of us would actually have blown the cobwebs off our wallets and bought that truck.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:06 PM
230 Tornado

I feel like a lot of us would have jumped in and bought it if it meant saving it from being crushed. Even if it ended up just being parted out it's still better than just throwing everything away. How many rhino grilles are still out there?

I've run into a lot of people discussing this commercial and the best explanation I saw is that people like us aren't the target market for the new Gladiator. Jeep loves to capitalize on the image we bring to the brand by fixing things up ourselves, customizing, and keeping the old rigs running long after they should have returned to the earth, but the fact of the matter is we're not likely to run out and buy new Jeeps right off the lot, so they don't really care about us when it comes to a new vehicle being introduced.

This commercial which is deeply offending Jeep purists but getting a bunch of attention for their new vehicle launch just shows that clearly, as does the pricing for the new truck. Business is business, and Jeep is no different from any other major car manufacturer, despite any claims about heritage or tradition.

For us, it's really all gravy as the renewed attention on Jeep trucks can only increase the value of ours. Plus there's now one less of them! (I'm being sarcastic there).
Old 02-03-2019, 02:10 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga77
...people like us aren't the target market for the new Gladiator. Jeep loves to capitalize on the image we bring to the brand...
BINGO.

Unless we are buying and driving their current products, our opinion is of no interest to anyone at Jeep, or Chrysler, or whoever owns Chrysler this week.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:40 PM
230 Tornado

Very disappointing, but true.

As far as the new truck I'm not super impressed. Seems more like a reboot of the Scrambler than the Gladiator to me, seeing as it's really the same size as a wrangler. I really wish they had used the grille from the Nukizer concept from a few years ago too, especially since they named it Gladiator. They missed a real opportunity to make something unique there. Maybe somebody will come up with something in the aftermarket.

Overall the truck looks kind of weirdly proportioned to me too, but a lift kit might help that.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:36 PM

Chryco/Fiat.
Save Corp/stock holders a bunch of money and resulting in a ton of po'd dealers and customers. Regurgitating old model names is just lame marketing fluff.
Please sell the brand name/rights to an outfit that gets what a Jeep is supposed to be...please.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:04 PM
327 Rambler

one of the most disturbing things to me about that commercial is the weird Christine type vibe where the truck comes to life. Someone should show a continuation of it where the new "Gladiator" attacks and kills the junk yard employees trying to crush it.

The biggest problem I have with the "truck" itself is it doesn't even give the slightest nod to the real Gladiator. Doing the concept grill would have gone a long way towards my willingness to accept it.

As far as target audience, when I bought my truck I was actually looking at brand new trucks when I bought my old one but I couldn't find anything that I liked. Today there are several options that would have met my requirements but the new "Gladiator" doesn't. I hate 4 door trucks and have no use for one so that right there is a non starter because the "Gladiator" is not offered with only 2 doors. Another thing is since I bought my truck and rebuilt the engine I have saved the equivalent of more than $12,000 in what would have been paid on a brand new truck, not to mention the crazy ST3 tax here on newer vehicles. $6,000 a year in car payment savings allows me to customize my old vehicle and I have exactly what I want not some package the manufacturer requires me to get in order to get one or 2 things out of it I want.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:54 PM
350 Buick

And it won't even carry a sheet of plywood on the floor. Some truck.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:28 PM
232 I6

Damn. That's poor form.

I intentionally went from a TJ to my Waggy because I wanted something bigger and disapprove of the 4 door Wranglers....
: Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg
Old 02-05-2019, 09:08 AM
350 Buick

crankyoldman .......you gave me a good laugh

when you said it did not show the gladiator

attacking the salvage yard worker.

as entertainment, the commercial is enjoyable and well done.

I like the Christine vibe,.....

but like many have said, could we not have at least got a rhino inspired grille ?

prob a lot of reasons we don't know about, money, rights, ???

when you meet the new truck on the road it will look like a regular jeep.

the aftermarket potential is a good idea for rhino-like conversions.

jeep knows this and may do it themselves if allowed.

I agree it will re new interest and spark new interest in saving the old ones

and it makes me more proud to drive an original j -truck since we have an imitation to chastise......

( no disrespect to the great engineers working at jeep corp.
they would have prob done it like we FSJ guys wanted if corporate would allow...but they have to follow orders, and this is prob the best corporate would allow...I know for a fact an IFSJA member works on these jeep designs and he loves the old ones as much as we do. )

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 02-05-2019, 09:29 AM
304 AMC

yea, that sucked, but look at it this way, the old Jeep lovers that have the real Gladiators can now have a stickers made

"This is the Real Jeep Gladiator"

"Gladiator, nothing beats the original"

"This ain't your plastic Gladiator"

"Gladiator, can't ever remake the original"

"There's no school like Old School"

humm, might get my son a make a few of these with his vinyl stuff

07 Sea Ray 205

71 F-250 Camper Special 390

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 AM
350 Buick

new gladiator

ZORM

we think alike

I have been tossing around ideas for smart ass sayings about newer jeeps too

although I have an 04 rubicon
I have always called it a plastic jeep

one decal I thought of = "no computer on board "

one -= "look mommy, a real jeep " .... or "look daddy a real jeep "

or a plain decal with AMC logo at left and instead of just Jeep beside the logo

put: Real Jeep beside the logo.

just having fun.
dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 02-05-2019, 06:57 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
one of the most disturbing things to me about that commercial is the weird Christine type vibe where the truck comes to life. Someone should show a continuation of it where the new "Gladiator" attacks and kills the junk yard employees trying to crush it.

The biggest problem I have with the "truck" itself is it doesn't even give the slightest nod to the real Gladiator. Doing the concept grill would have gone a long way towards my willingness to accept it.

As far as target audience, when I bought my truck I was actually looking at brand new trucks when I bought my old one but I couldn't find anything that I liked. Today there are several options that would have met my requirements but the new "Gladiator" doesn't. I hate 4 door trucks and have no use for one so that right there is a non starter because the "Gladiator" is not offered with only 2 doors. Another thing is since I bought my truck and rebuilt the engine I have saved the equivalent of more than $12,000 in what would have been paid on a brand new truck, not to mention the crazy ST3 tax here on newer vehicles. $6,000 a year in car payment savings allows me to customize my old vehicle and I have exactly what I want not some package the manufacturer requires me to get in order to get one or 2 things out of it I want.

They do offer the new two door “Gladiator” it’s called a two door Jeep Wrangler JL. Guess the new “Gladiator” Jeep is pushing really isn’t a “Gladiator” after all
Old 02-05-2019, 07:43 PM
304 AMC

SOLSAKS, i love this.
"one -= "look mommy, a real jeep " .... or "look daddy a real jeep "

hahahaha

07 Sea Ray 205

71 F-250 Camper Special 390

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.