International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 08-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Noob!

Gas Tank Leaking I think...

So still trying to get my J10 to run. First the fuel pump when out, so changed that. Then wasn't getting gas to carb. I knew the fuel gauge never read accurately so I thought maybe I remembered there being more gas in the tank than there is. So, tonight I went and got 15 gallons and started to fill it up. I got maybe 9 gallons in and I start hearing dripping. I look under the truck and out is coming fuel through a rust hole in the skid plate under the tank. So I stuck a bucket underneath fearing the worst and watched until it stopped. There's only maybe 1 gallon in the bucket. So, there's still whatever fuel was in the tank plus roughly 8 but I have fuel that leaked out from an unknown location. Anybody have any clue what I do next besides tow it to the mechanic and have them drop the tank and replace it.

***Update, tried to start the truck again. It starts with gas poured in the carb but dies when it runs out. Still no fuel to the clear filter. I can't imagine by now the new fuel pump isn't primed. Also, when I started the truck up the gas gauge now reads full and when I send a tube down into the gas tank I hit fuel right away so I'm definitely full. Why would gas leak out over I'm assuming the top of the tank and through the rust hole on the skid plate? And what in the world is blocking it from getting through the lines? I've looked at all the lines and they look fine. I actually think upon further inspection that they may have been changed prior to my aquisition of the vehicle. Mind you, this truck ran fine up until a few months ago when I couldn't get it to start. Tracked the issue (or so I thought) to a bad fuel pump. The diaphragm was actually ruptured so I was sure this was my problem. Anybody who has some knowledge of this kind of problem...please help!

Last edited by Rocket2314 : 08-01-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:00 AM
350 Buick

I'm no mechanic but I'll shoot.

Test fuel pump by taking the hose after the pump and put into clear pop bottle. Crank motor once or twice and see if fuel squirts onto bottle. If it does then clog is after fuel pump. If it's weak or nothing then it's fuel pump or before it.

Pull the hose between fuel pump and tank and blow through it to see if it's clogged. Also a good idea to put a paper towel to sift the gas that comes out of the lines to see if there's a lot of debris. Check the fuel filter again. Take it off and blow backwards through it onto a paper towel again to see if there's a lot of debris. Cloud be uber rust in tank that's clogging things up.

Fuel sending unit may be clogged or the sock on the end of it. Again pull it out and blow backwards to see if any crap comes out onto clean paper towel.

Tank may have a hole but unlikely, more like a hose leak somewhere.

Good luck, have fun.
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 08-02-2016, 01:47 PM
327 Rambler

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=179981

These tanks develop cracks on top and leak.

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene
Old 08-02-2016, 04:12 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Actually seems to work to repair it. I did it to my tank. I had a leak still after I used a polyethylene rod. I couldn't physically see it; and it held water.. but it wouldn't hold gas. My guesss is that there was a micro-hole somewhere. It was only drips.

So I applied the epoxy from above - and it seems to hold onto polyethylene just fine. No leaks from gas yet. ( Has only been about a week since I've applied the repair. )

So the mechanic said, "it looks like you blew a seal" and I said, "you leave my sexual preferences out of this".
Old 08-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Noob!

Tank issues

Does anyone know if the fuel sending unit can be accessed on the J10's without dropping the tank?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:57 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket2314
Does anyone know if the fuel sending unit can be accessed on the J10's without dropping the tank?

It can be. It is on the front side of the tank.

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene
Old 08-03-2016, 08:45 AM

Ya know, it depends on what you mean by "access." You can see it and touch it, but I believe the sender will not come out unless you drop the tank.

It's no big deal to drop the tank if it's empty. Some work, but it's not hard. You may need to move the driveshaft aside. Siphon out all the gas so it's not heavy.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 PM
304 AMC

I had to drop the tank to replace the sending unit on my '86. The hardest part was getting the filler hose and other lines loose. Just don't mess up your filler hose, they are hard to come by. Yours is different from mine due to a change in the fill location in '85 or '86. Here's a link with some photos:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...hlight=sending
'79 CJ5(in pieces)
'86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
Correction- it just needed a water pump!