International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Selling FSJ's on Craigslist

Due to needing some money for a Ring and just running out of motivation and money for this jeep i have been trying to get rid of her for about a month now.

I have had it on this site and some others with no luck and am thinking of using Craigslist but am a little leary, becuase as it sits right now i can't drive it on the road to a location away from my house and don't feel like loading it on a trailer to meet someone all the time.

What are ya'lls experience in selling vehicles like the FSJ on Craigslist, and not being able to take it to locations away from your house.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

I've bought & sold both

Careful screening talking to the folks like any other medium you would use to sell something on local paper Ebay have the exact same dangers. There was someone down in Waco looking for a good runing 360 a few days ago that might be a possibility. Post your link so we can see what your talking about.

EDIT:
I went & looked at your ad. You'll never get that much money for it unless you part it out. Then it would be a crapshoot. Sorry but the price is what is stagnating your sell. I'm just saying
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=161465

your compitition
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3415226347.html

Honestly which one would you buy.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 11-28-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM
out of order

I had zero luck selling vehicles on CL.

Tried several times with several different vehicles including FSJ's.

Total freakshow/waste of time, however your mileage may vary?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:44 PM

Craigslist is a crapshoot. Expect lowballers. Expect spammers. Be very careful with what you reply to. Common CL scams are: Offering help to sell it, asking if its available to get your real email address, offing crap trades like tattoos or legal services, taking payments and the standard nigerian princesses. I have sold dozens of cars on craigslist, but I have to weed out complete idiots to do it. Its hit or miss. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM
350 Buick

when i was looking for a Chief, i searched 90% trough the Craigslists.
You have to make a good marketing, means correct describtions, correct spelling, and some pics where the folks can see the Jeep outside and inside.

I found a lot of rednecks, the wrote "Cherokke Cheif, Jep Wagoner, Jeep FSJ" and so on....with this you are falling through some typical searchings.

Furthermore, a lot of the seller do not answer to emails, or calls, not motivated for any little work and so on, thats the other side

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink
Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 PM

Just FYI - Serehill has it right. The only way to make that kind of money from that car is to part it out. That would be a nice car if it were all fixed up, but I don't think you'll find a buyer at that price. Uncompleted projects sell for an 80%-90% discount usually. And the smashed rear quarter raises the skill level needed to fix it a lot ...
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 PM

CL is good for local sales and if what you're offering is valid and at a fair price the prospective buyer will come to look at your vehicle. If you're paranoid about privately giving your home address to the interested party then you got personal issues that most buyers won't deal with. Trailering to a meeting place is acceptable but them are hoops you may have to jump through if you're a seller. If the car is not at home...drag it home. I and most buyers "will not" deal with any seller who's name is not on the title as the legal owner. Crap like it's at my dads house and "he'll do the transaction" unless he's the legal owner that BS don't wash. As a seller you don't have to haul/trailer a rig to the buyers house but you and the rig has to be in the same location when a buyer arrives. Cars that don't run are parts cars period,so price accordingly. Selling is a PITA for sure and the buyer is making the effort/drive to come look at your stuff so be honest, be reasonable and be patient, it'll sell. Unless you got a market acceptable rare car like a dead but cherry body SuperBee etc selling non-runners is not an easy route to quick cash...that's what junkyards are for.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Turbocharged Quandary

Why would you want to trailer it to undisclosed locations? You'll lose a lot of leverage in negotiation. See, buyer will see, you went all this trouble to load it up and trailer it out to a parking lot. Now, I can low ball you. Walk away....

1997 Mercury Mountaineer

AIM: derektjeep

dereksbicycles@gmail.com

224 805 0773 text message is the king!!!

Find me on facebook under Derek Troy
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM
258 I6

craigslist worked for me

thats how I found and bought my waggy...all the folks on here are giving great advice. I have noticed alot of people lately that don't follow thru with the deals, I have never sold a vehicle, but I have sold lots of other stuff. I don't mind if people come to my house to get it, but, I am a cop, so I don't worry too much about people. Lately, I have met people in public places when buying something from them, but, you kind of have to go someplace like a car lot or a residence to look at a vehicle.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Not being Hateful & it is Christmas.

I would give a grand for it in january only because I could use the motor & tranny if you still have it in January. That's going off your discription. I'm not trying to be a rip off but for what I need that is generous for what that is.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 PM
258 I6

ive sold a ton of vehicles on CL over the years...you just have to be smart (as with anywhere else) and specify in your listing what you will take (no trades, etc). keep in mind you can list a car for free for 30 days on ebay now which will get you more nationwide hits.

FSJNetwork Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, what would y'all consider resonable.

I didn't realize these things are worth basically nothing coming from, broncos and 50s Chevy trucks where you can get more money for not even complete vehicles.

It really makes me never want to get another knowing they are worth nothing even with new parts.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM
jamesdart

if you have a title anything like in nj, your address is on it anyway
Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

the coin has 2 sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexjeeper
Thanks for the advice guys, what would y'all consider resonable.

I didn't realize these things are worth basically nothing coming from, broncos and 50s Chevy trucks where you can get more money for not even complete vehicles.

It really makes me never want to get another knowing they are worth nothing even with new parts.
Cheap, but cheap to work on Not a classic insurance is cheap.Most of our rigs will never win a car show but we aren't scared to break it. Classic definition is in the eye of the owner. I'm very happy mine isn't a 25K bronco that cost 2 times more for aftermarket parts. It depends on how you look at it. If you think the car hobby is an investment then your screwed.
Rarest vehicle in the world is a trailer queen FSJ. If you make a profit @ Barrett Jackson it's probably because you screwed someone. B&J is Craigslist @ 300K.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Last edited by serehill : 11-28-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
What are ya'lls experience in selling vehicles like the FSJ on Craigslist, and not being able to take it to locations away from your house.

I haven't sold any vehicles, but have sold a bunch of bikes, atv's, parts, etc...

Pretty much standard procedure is all negotiation happens outside or in the garage. The wife stands inside the entry door to the house and listens. That way, anything goes down she's dialing 911 in seconds.

Secondly, I always have a firearm concealed on my person. There's too many crazies out there that can/will gain access inside of your house through a craigslist ad/sale. If they want to just rob me, that's fine, just take the junk and go, they can have it...if they want inside of the house, that's another story...

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 PM

Oh i don't think of them as investments just giant money pits no matter what it is, just didn't think they were this bad about resale value.

My fear of craigslist comes from two seperate employees of mine that were killed over selling their cars on craigslist. The people came back at night broke in and shot the employees and stole their stuff. Both were unrelated and by different people.

Last edited by centexjeeper : 11-28-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
258 I6

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL You are in "Waco", Texas. "We Ain't Comin' Out"
2009 GMC Canyon,3.7,Auto, 2.5" lift/leveling kit
all with a looney DAV behind the wheel.
"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Always Broke

Quote:
Oh i don't think of them as investments just giant money pits no matter what it is, just didn't think they were this bad about resale value.

My fear of craigslist comes from two seperate employees of mine that were killed over selling their cars on craigslist. The people came back at night broke in and shot the employees and stole their stuff. Both were unrelated and by different people.

Yeah, that would make me nervous too.

We don't normally allow people to comment on what folks are asking, it often is not done in a constructive way. I removed one constructive comment from the actual for sale thread.

The advice provided in this thread is pretty accurate. Even with the new parts you are selling a non-drivable rig with serious body damage, bad paint and not much in the way of the interior. That's a hard sell when there are so many more available.
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

That is perfectly undrstandible

Quote:

Makes more sense now.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs

Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will e
Yeah, that would make me nervous too.

We don't normally allow people to comment on what folks are asking, it often is not done in a constructive way. I removed one constructive comment from the actual for sale thread.

The advice provided in this thread is pretty accurate. Even with the new parts you are selling a non-drivable rig with serious body damage, bad paint and not much in the way of the interior. That's a hard sell when there are so many more available.

It does have the whole interior leather buckets up front and leather bench in the back only thing interior wise that is missing is the carpert. I even still have the chrome strips that go on the floor in the tailgate area.

My hope was that someone would be looking for a off road rig or even a hunting lease vehicle as it would be a great candidate for that, since all you have to do is hook the exhaust back up and fix the power steering leak and it would be in working order.

Thanks for the help guys, the fsj community is a great community and maybe one day down the road i will look at getting another one as i love these old rigs as this one has taught me alot, but this one might just end up at the scrap yard.

Last edited by centexjeeper : 11-29-2012 at 03:39 PM.