International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
350 Buick

BAD news

Just talked longdistance with my mechanic. looks like my 360 engine is seized or locked up somehow. just after I invested in the new manifold and carb too!
he has not been able to get it inside to get under it but a breaker bar and socket on the pully nut won't turn it. He'll try to get to it tomorrow.

It was running really fine, acting real healthy, no odd noises, squeals, clunks, smoke, or anything, it just died like somebody took wirecutters to the ignition system. its not leaking any oil and looks perfectly OK externally. thats why I assumed it was electrical.

Any WAG as to what could have happened?

Assuming I'll need to either rebuild or replace----and pay him to do it. what are good sources for replacement 360shortblocks?

seriously upset,
DWS
Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Master Mechanic

Where do you need one? I have a couple rebuildables sitting about here in MC....
Old 01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
350 Buick

thanks a whole bunch Jeremy, I may need to take you up on that, depending on what he finds. he's an experienced FSj mech and owner and I have a lot of confidence in him.

Maybe I'm pushing the panic button too quickly. seems really strange to me for it to suddenly freeze up without any noticible warning signs. It seemed really odd to him too since he had been working on it and driving it around town himself just the week before after doing the manifold/carb change. he'd commented when I picked it up how clean it looked under the old manifold and how strong it was running.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM
360 AMC

Location: Just S. of Branson (in Beautiful Razorback Country)
Actually it's that cold as................heck weather you have up there!
The machine don't like it cold.

You may be jumping the gun, but you should know more by dropping the oil pan.

Wayne S

1971 J4000 Buick 350/TH400 "Terra"
*STATUS Down as a summer project*
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynestiles

Any WAG as to what could have happened?
DWS

Does WAG mean... Wild A55 guess? Have not heard that in awhile.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM

If it wasn't leaking oil, that's because it was empty.

Sorry, I had to say that. Hopefully you find a fix!

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 PM
350 Buick

yup, its Wild A$$ Guess----- though it could also seriously apply to the 87GW as well. My only previous experience with an engine going bad was a VW diesel rabbit the blew catastrophically--a 6" hole in the side of the block.

Engine oil is fine, I h ad it changed about 2K ago and the dipstick level is right at normal. he hasn't pulled the pan yet. I'd been watching the oil level carefully. there were a few drips on the ground under the engins and the bottom looked well oiled. however we put new dress-up valve covers on w/new gaskets when he did the carb/manifold change. there were no more drips so if figured they were the old VC gaskets leaking.
A little bit of tranny fluid -- very small patch on the ground--from between the tranny/transfer case. it was noted when I had the tranny serviced but was told it was probably not worth the cost of repair--just to monitor it casue the tranny and t-case were real good.

Keep on WAGging.

after all life is a learning experience.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynestiles
thanks a whole bunch Jeremy, I may need to take you up on that, depending on what he finds. he's an experienced FSj mech and owner and I have a lot of confidence in him.

Maybe I'm pushing the panic button too quickly. seems really strange to me for it to suddenly freeze up without any noticible warning signs. It seemed really odd to him too since he had been working on it and driving it around town himself just the week before after doing the manifold/carb change. he'd commented when I picked it up how clean it looked under the old manifold and how strong it was running.

The mechanic was driving it, then it all of the sudden seized? Makes me a little nervous, especially if he'd just done work to it. Did he drop anything down the engine with the top open? Maybe he got a little too liberal with the sealant, and a chunk got loose in the oil system clogging it all up? Anyway, let me know if you need one.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:25 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
The mechanic was driving it, then it all of the sudden seized? Makes me a little nervous, especially if he'd just done work to it. Did he drop anything down the engine with the top open? Maybe he got a little too liberal with the sealant, and a chunk got loose in the oil system clogging it all up? Anyway, let me know if you need one.

x2 on that if you're saying it happened while the mechanic was driving it and not while you were

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL
Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 AM
350 Buick

sorry for any confusion. but then, I'm pretty confused and frustrated right now myself. I had a 1000 mile road trip planned for it later this month.

It didn't happen while he was driving it. He did the carb/manifold transpalnt and the valve cover replacement, retuned it and started going over the vacuum system. He had driven it around town doing some parts running and test driving it at the same time.
I picked it up and drove it for several hundred miles over christmas week without a hitch until it died, I got it restarted drove it for a few more days--maybe another 150--and it died again (see my previous threads---all engine electric oriented).
We had planned on him adding a couple minor new parts we were waiting for completing the vacuum system and doing some testing and evaluation I wanted done.
I've been totally focusssed on the electrical issues. I never gave a thought, or checked, to see if the "2nd death" was a locked up or frozen engine.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:02 AM

pull the starter first!

i bought a bronco with a "locked up" 302. had the heads off before i found out it was simply the starter was locked up,bendix out. pulled the starter and the engine rolled over like a dream.ran very strong after i put it back together.

electrical problems? maybe the starter kicked in,overheatedt the bendix,and siezed up,and now it's holding the engine. i had my coil hot wire chafe on my start stud on my solenoid,kicking it in. my un-mechanical friend was driving it,didn't notice it and smoked the starter. this time the bendix retracted before it siezed,but the starter was smoked bad.

check all belt-driven accesories for siezure too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Last edited by Ristow : 01-10-2008 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Master Mechanic

So has it started since this: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=79785? You going to be messing with it this weekend? You're probably around 20-30 minutes from me, I could swing up that way if you wanted another set of eyes on it.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Gear Head

if its below 30 and you had some moisture in the tank its possible that you have water vapor in your cylinders. this used to happen to some of my rigs in montana if i didnt run them enough the water vapor would freeze up in the cylinder and that little chunk of ice was all it took to keep things from moving. once i got it in a shop and warm for 3-4 hours it would fire right up

also did he put the tranny in neutral before trying to spin it? sorry i had to ask.

starter could be bound up on flex plate.

i have doubts that you siezed the motor without realizing it. could be a spec of rust in a cylinder too from sitting

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."
Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 PM
350 Buick

still no news, its a small shop and he's got a line of cars ahead of me that need to be on his hoist. We talked for a while this afternoon. I'll be out of town for about the next three weeks, so he'll have time to sort it out. Thank goodness I have other cars. He really feels it is not a major issue, more likely an odd combination of a couple smaller things. It was just running too well and strongly with no bad noises drips or anything--and to just quit--no rattles no misfires etc. just flat out quit and coast to a halt.
He has pulled the plugs and the starter and put a long breaker and socket on the crank pulley. Only got a very small amount of play with a solid "clunk". next step will be to drop the pan and check the lower end.

Any more WAGs?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:21 PM

WAG would be a broken crank or rod.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Dragin Az

I bought my J-10 with a bad 401. It through a rod cap and dinged up the crank but did not damage the block. But then again thats all my info on this one. I hope it turns out to be something small.

46 cj2a

51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service bed
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/
Old 01-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

you did not take it to walmart or Jiffy lube did you?