International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 05-27-2020, 05:31 AM
232 I6

I am loving the build. I will have to work on my emblems now that I have a better idea about "restoring" them. Thanks for sharing that.

It is a small interwebs. I saw the Bones Fab bus on the Hoonigan channel a while back and fell in live with the idea. Maybe one day I will have something like that to carry my toys around. I think it is awesome that your daughter works there. Maybe a there is a future fabricator lurking around?

Here is the DT 192 link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap9o9C5P054
Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWNashville
I am loving what you are doing.
Thank you sir! Now I just need to convince the wife!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J76137
I am loving the build. I will have to work on my emblems now that I have a better idea about "restoring" them. Thanks for sharing that.

It is a small interwebs. I saw the Bones Fab bus on the Hoonigan channel a while back and fell in live with the idea. Maybe one day I will have something like that to carry my toys around. I think it is awesome that your daughter works there. Maybe a there is a future fabricator lurking around?

Here is the DT 192 link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap9o9C5P054
I had seen that video a while ago too! He daily's that bus! i see him around town (mostly at the dog park) all the time. I wish (daughter fab'ing). There is NNNNnnooooo interest there.
I got sidetracked. 78 WIDETRAC had these center caps (all 4 of them) and I PM'ed him asking if he would be willing to sell them. He was super cool about it and now they are going on here!

I have always been bugged by the front wheel having my warn hub in the middle and the back is just a black blob. The front was a closed hub I cut open and it always looked like geoduck to me. jsinajeep sent me a few cut off Jeep ends that he had removed from closed caps to make open caps a couple years ago and I was going to weld them onto my black blob hubs in the rear but never got around to it and was not confident I could do a very good job anyway.
So I bought these from 78 WIDETRAC and super stoked on them! They showed up at my door yesterday, and I dropped everything to install them. I had to drill my wheels to accept the bolt on caps. These are going to look amazing once I have my new flares on (they are sitting in a box in my garage) and the sides have been waxed and stickered!

09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 05-27-2020, 12:02 PM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Thank you sir! Now I just need to convince the wife!
Always! Especially when it's her Waggy! The caps go very nicely with the wheels.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 PM
232 I6

Looks sick!
Old 05-28-2020, 12:38 AM
Cherokee Outlaw

Thanks for covering how you dealt with the seam rust, Marc! I have the same issue on mine. Luckily I've had my windows out a few times and there is no rust under the gaskets either.

To be honest, when you told me about the black center caps on your black wheels i was skeptical. I WAS WRONG! They look fantastic!
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed
Old 05-28-2020, 05:00 AM
Señor Jackhead

I had a set of those caps still in chrome on my GW for a little while. One day I was talking with an avid Toyota wheeler dude and he was eyeing my Jeep. When he looked at the rear wheel, "ohhhh, full floater, huh"... Yessir
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 05-28-2020, 07:39 AM
258 I6

Love the caps with those wheels!

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
"Soon" is a relative term, also cracked cylinder put a hurt on me
Old 05-29-2020, 05:58 AM
232 I6

I reread your post and paid closer attention to the rust and seam sealer. I am currently fixing rust on mine in those same places. Hopefully I have some success. It is good to know that seem sealer does belong in those areas. Very helpful.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Always! Especially when it's her Waggy! The caps go very nicely with the wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty76
Looks sick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneer Taylor
Love the caps with those wheels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
To be honest, when you told me about the black center caps on your black wheels i was skeptical. I WAS WRONG! They look fantastic!
Thank's gentlemen! I agree! Thanks again 78WIDETRAC!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
Thanks for covering how you dealt with the seam rust, Marc! I have the same issue on mine. Luckily I've had my windows out a few times and there is no rust under the gaskets either....
Quote:
Originally Posted by J76137
I reread your post and paid closer attention to the rust and seam sealer. I am currently fixing rust on mine in those same places. Hopefully I have some success. It is good to know that seem sealer does belong in those areas. Very helpful.
I found a better picture of the rust (below). I am not saying this is "THE" way to deal with it, but it is the way I dealt with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
I had a set of those caps still in chrome on my GW for a little while. One day I was talking with an avid Toyota wheeler dude and he was eyeing my Jeep. When he looked at the rear wheel, "ohhhh, full floater, huh"... Yessir
hahaha! I will be listening for that!!
Like I said before, I found a better picture of the rust I was attacking in the first place.

Lesson learned: POR15 is a bear to sand! I took 320 to the seam sealer and the POR15 to clean it all up. Then the whole black area got 400 grit before getting painted. I took my side windows out and scrubbed up the gaskets with warm soapy water and steel wool. The steel wool got all the oxidation off the rubber and cleaned out the channels. It came out great!

While the gasket was off, I found the frame had cracked. There is a little bar that holds the 2 ends together and the screw holding one side had snapped. Found a screw in my magic bolt box and put it all back together.

I had a replacement plug for the flipper winder bolt from wesdog. Check out the difference in the two. Rusty is what I had on there.

Then I put the window back in. I will hang the "4 Wheel Drive" emblem later but the Cherokee S emblem will be going down below on the lower stickers where it was in 79. The passenger side paint it still drying so nothing juicey there.

I used good ol' Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X Ultra Cover flat black. Two coats were plenty. I wish it was a tiny bit less flat but it looks pretty good overall. The satin sheen was too shiny. I am happy with it overall. Here is where that rust WAS. Most of the black you see mixed on the yellow area is old sticker that I sanded down too. It should look super sharp once those upper stickers are on the yellow area. I am pretty jazzed about all this.

Passenger side will get the same window treatment tomorrow then
I am heading out for travel for a week. Hopefully when I get home I will get the 4WD emblems installed and those upper stickers on. Cross my fingers!

Last edited by rang-a-stang : 05-31-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:13 AM
327 Rambler

Marc- You're totally welcome for the caps. They look great on those wheels! and on your Jeep.

This is such a great build. Thanks for all of your updates.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:37 AM
Shakes hands with danger

That's looking really good. Rust-Oleum has a dizzying variety of finishes in the Painter's Touch line, including a matte finish. They appear to be ordered on the website from glossiest to least glossy, which would make satin the second flattest after flat, but the matte may be worth a try.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 PM
304 AMC

The center caps look really good.

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 06-25-2020, 10:43 PM
232 I6

rang-a-stang

That Cherokee is looking nice, love the wheels. I'm surprised they allow you to put a big Cherokee sticker on your vehicle in California (Just Sayin').
1989 Grand Wagoneer 360 c.i.
727 Transmission
Serehill Rear Glass and Fog Light Harness.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 WIDETRAC
Marc- You're totally welcome for the caps. They look great on those wheels! and on your Jeep.

This is such a great build. Thanks for all of your updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
That's looking really good. Rust-Oleum has a dizzying variety of finishes in the Painter's Touch line, including a matte finish. They appear to be ordered on the website from glossiest to least glossy, which would make satin the second flattest after flat, but the matte may be worth a try.
Now that it has cured all the way, it looks much better. I agree (TONS of Rust-Oleum options). It will get a good wash tonight and that will really tell me how it looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Size Jeeper
The center caps look really good.
Thanks, Darin! I love them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWNashville
That Cherokee is looking nice, love the wheels. I'm surprised they allow you to put a big Cherokee sticker on your vehicle in California (Just Sayin').
Thank you, sir! haha! Good point! I think as long as it has a mask over the stickers and I keep them quarantined, Cali will be ok with them. But (Prop 65 Warning), they do cause cancer.
Nothing juicy. I fixed a leak at my Vacuum Modulator on the trans but have been traveling like mad so no real updates. My son is daily driving it and its been doing well!

My Mazda's Turbo puked on my way home from a camping trip about 2 weeks ago. I could have fixed it for cheap but where's the fun in that? I plan to drive this Mazda forever so I ordered an up-sized turbo and all the fixins to go with it. My little dude will have about 310hp to the front wheels when it's done!
Then, when I get to Idaho (no smog) in 2 years I can swap 2 more parts, update the tune, and it should have about 360 at the wheels. That's a lot for a little 2800# FWD ricer!
Old 06-26-2020, 01:04 PM
258 I6

Thats awesome about the Mazda, that will be killer power for that car. People can say what they will but these cars are darn fun!

In all honesty I miss my SRT 4, which was around 250 HP but man so fun to drive. The Merc is just a totally different animal. AKA not as fun honestly.

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
"Soon" is a relative term, also cracked cylinder put a hurt on me
Old 06-28-2020, 06:47 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Then, when I get to Idaho (no smog) in 2 years I can swap 2 more parts, update the tune, and it should have about 360 at the wheels.

Ada County has had a vehicle emissions testing program in operation since 1984. The program is managed by the Air Quality Board. Sorry!
The jealousy in me rages!!!
1979 Wagoneer