International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 02-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtball
Can someone walk me through the procedure of getting the old one out (well, just push it on out, I know, but the rubber) and the new one I'm getting in? Will/should/can I use my old rubber, or is there a source for new? I haven't checked BJs, but I'm hoping I won't have to.

Get inside and work it out with a screw driver. Get a buddy to catch it on the outside. It's really easy. I reused my old gaskets with new window sealer.
1969 AMC Javelin SST 390
1968 AMC Javelin SST 290 (Parts)
Old 02-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Can someone walk me through the procedure of getting the old one out (well, just push it on out, I know, but the rubber) and the new one I'm getting in? Will/should/can I use my old rubber, or is there a source for new? I haven't checked BJs, but I'm hoping I won't have to.

I don't think you need BJ for the rubber, or is that the other way around
Sorry I had to say it.
Seriously how old is your rubber?
If it's still plyable and not weather cracked it should be fine.
If it's hard or has weather cracking it's time to change it.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:30 PM
258 I6

Quote:
We have a feral cat hanging around the house yowling at all hours. I go out with my bb gun on ONE pump, shoot at it, and hear a "thunk" from the area of my Cherokee... now I wasn't at all shooting in the direction OF my Cherokee! I figured it somehow ricocheted and hit it; what I DIDN'T figure was that IT HIT THE LEFT SIDE REAR GLASS AND TOTALLY SHATTERED IT!! I don't have the sliding windows. I'm sick... just sick...

My dad did that several years ago. BB hit the cat, ricocheted off the cat and into the rear side window of their new Dodge Caravan. Insurance agent/neighbor just laughed and told him next time to tell him it was a rock thrown from the lawnmower.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Master Mechanic

I don't know why you guys are so amazed... I know what I'm about to say has happened to most, if not all of you.

You know when you're working on your Jeep, or anything else for that matter, and you're under the hood, and drop a bolt or nut, or anything that you NEED to complete the job, and it's just GONE! You search everywhere, on the ground, on the engine, the body, nooks and crannies, your pockets, your left ear, YOUR RIGHT EAR! Your shoes, and finally, you give up, get pissed and go get a new bolt, either from your stash, or at the hardware store. You drive for 3 years, and one day, the bolt falls out at your feet while you're changing the oil or something. The improbability boggles the mind!

I'm always amazed that something I drop can fall 3 inches and end up 25 feet away, under something that is impossible to move without massive expenditure of energy. That includes things like wrenches, that do not roll, but seem to be able to bounce unbelievable distances and damage something when they land. Sockets run away from you, and laugh, while you call them names. With stuff like this, I do not find it hard to believe that a BB would ricochet and hit a truck. With my luck, the BB would not only break a truck window, but would cause a massive tree to fall on my house, and utterly destroy it while the cat stood on my lawn and laughed.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

That sucks Paul...sorry to hear it....

80 W/T Cherokee - "Liz"....4bt??
69 J3000 DRA Dump - King Triton!!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 AM
Master Mechanic

haha, found a socket on the frame rail the other day after 3 off roading trips, i know it stayed there because thats where i had put it, how it stayed.... who knows

but i see the main problem with the cat is that you weren't using the .40 and even then it should've been a .45, lol
Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 AM

Nice shootin Barney Fife.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNOFEAR
Get inside and work it out with a screw driver. Get a buddy to catch it on the outside. It's really easy. I reused my old gaskets with new window sealer.

How 'bout stoppin' at the Oneonta/Ashville exit one trip down I-59 and showing me how... or, you probably go down 75 to Atlanta and down 85, don't you?

Seriously, thanks... I'll figure it out now that I kind of understand...
6 inch Hell Creek all spring lift
34x10.50 Super Swamper LTBs
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1394.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1390.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...100_1387-2.jpg
Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by imiceman44
I don't think you need BJ for the rubber, or is that the other way around
Sorry I had to say it.
Seriously how old is your rubber?
If it's still plyable and not weather cracked it should be fine.
If it's hard or has weather cracking it's time to change it.

It's original, so I'm pretty sure it's going to be hard as a rock. I'll also check the doner's rubber...

Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:57 PM
258 I6

ITS LIKE MY MOTHER ALWAYS TOLD ME GOD DONT LIKE UGLY NOW YOUR PAYING WITH YOUR CHEROKEE WINDOW NEXT WILL BE THE TRANSMISSION
Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by []V[]AXX
I don't know why you guys are so amazed... I know what I'm about to say has happened to most, if not all of you.

You know when you're working on your Jeep, or anything else for that matter, and you're under the hood, and drop a bolt or nut, or anything that you NEED to complete the job, and it's just GONE! You search everywhere, on the ground, on the engine, the body, nooks and crannies, your pockets, your left ear, YOUR RIGHT EAR! Your shoes, and finally, you give up, get pissed and go get a new bolt, either from your stash, or at the hardware store. You drive for 3 years, and one day, the bolt falls out at your feet while you're changing the oil or something. The improbability boggles the mind!

I'm always amazed that something I drop can fall 3 inches and end up 25 feet away, under something that is impossible to move without massive expenditure of energy. That includes things like wrenches, that do not roll, but seem to be able to bounce unbelievable distances and damage something when they land. Sockets run away from you, and laugh, while you call them names. With stuff like this, I do not find it hard to believe that a BB would ricochet and hit a truck. With my luck, the BB would not only break a truck window, but would cause a massive tree to fall on my house, and utterly destroy it while the cat stood on my lawn and laughed.
NICE RANT, my friend, my hat is off to you - and yes, it happens to me all the time.

It's obvious what happened - you shot, cat smiled, and it bounced off it's teeth.
1985 GW, 360, 727, NP229, D44, AMC20, HEI, SOA/shackle flip 7" lift, Quick Lok locker rear, Aussie Locker front, 4.10 gears, 37 X 13.5 Interco SS-M16's, Warn Premium hubs, Tuff Stuff 12,000 LB winch, rear disc brakes === stripped down street legal off road toy
Old 02-23-2010, 04:17 AM

Not sure this holds true for all the years for that rubber but with my 78's I pulled the chrome stripping that is embedded into the rubber. That is what locks the window in from what I've been told. Once that is out just push the windows and rubber out. I did mine by myself with no issues.

The rubber is no longer available that I know of but finding some good used stuff shouldn't be too bad. I may have some still here with the extra side glass I have.
1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT
Not sure this holds true for all the years for that rubber but with my 78's I pulled the chrome stripping that is embedded into the rubber. That is what locks the window in from what I've been told. Once that is out just push the windows and rubber out. I did mine by myself with no issues.

The rubber is no longer available that I know of but finding some good used stuff shouldn't be too bad. I may have some still here with the extra side glass I have.

Hmmmm... that would be nice. I'll check it out... don't know what year the donor is though... might work out nicely!!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

Its strange what BBs do. When I was 10 years old, I was in the back yard shooting my Daisy BB gun. Had some blocks of 2x4 on the wooden fence about 60 ft. away. Just as I was about to shoot my first shot my dad came up behind me and kicks me in the butt and knocked me of the bench. I was not wearing shooting glasses and he chewed me out real good. So I went and got my glasses and the first shot hit the block and came right back at me and hit me in the ear. It hurt real bad but did not bleed. I did not tell anyone about it and when I was about 18 we were all talking about dumb shooting things and I confessed to the BB hitting me in the ear ..... Dad says I know, because I was watching you from the kitchen window and I laughed my fao and could not bare to give you a I TOLD YOU SO! So theres the lesson for the day. Sorry to hear about your window. Oh and I shoot the stray cats at my house with my Beemen 5mm. They allways run away and hopefuly die. Hankrod
Old 02-25-2010, 09:54 AM
232 I6

My dad was trying to get rid of the squirrels on the place with a 22 rifle. I found out they ricoche very easily. he was shooting squirrels on the ground and put a dent in our truck door and in another car's door we had sitting in the yard, lucky it wasn't a window or tire. he just put new tires on the truck. a shotgun is loud but better, once i got lucky and got 2 squirrels at one time.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:05 AM

I've got a '76 cherokee parts truck with good glass in Jackson, TN.
You can have the rear windows for free if you want to come up here and take them out. I'm gonna scrap it once I ever get time to finish removing drivetrain, windshield and dash pad.