International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 02-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Gear Head

78 chief WT with a 401

So what is that thing worth?
I am not really looking at keeping it, I like my four door waggy, rust and all.
I would be getting it if I can resell for profit, anything I can do to keep going these days.
I could part it or sell it complete.
Any ideas what it's worth and is there anybody interested in it complete or parts of it?
I will get pics when i go there to look at it.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Gear Head

need alot more info....color, rust, stock?, interior condition, miles on engine, and as everyone states...lot easier to tell with pictures...so go look at it and let us know id be interested in 401
Couple parts jeeps
66 chevelle ss-396
66 chevelle clone 396

Stuff for free.....is worth saving up for
Old 02-14-2010, 06:10 PM

Worth is a local thing. So far as parting it out consider hassle/shipping cost? Agin it's a local thing unless you're selling rasdio knobs.
If money is tight and you're looking to "keep going" buy a CD or bond.
Lotsa pitfalls with buying rigs you can't afford to buy and planing on a later profit. Biggest one is you're stuck with a large yard planter or mailbox mount especially if you're in a hurry for the profit part of this venture.
Do your homework so far as investment up front, parts in demand value, and parts not in demand value. Parting rigs is not for the poor or folks in a hurry to profit.
G'luck.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Gear Head

id be interested in 401[/quote]

you don't have to go that far for 401

unless you got the vehichle at a steal parting it out might be tough.not alot of money floating around.

Last edited by dajeeps : 02-14-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Master Mechanic

hmmm... If it doesn't pass smog then that really takes the value down - maybe $200-$500 but if it passes then more like $1500-$2500?

especially if the body is straight and good and interior is clean.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Worth is a local thing. So far as parting it out consider hassle/shipping cost? Agin it's a local thing unless you're selling rasdio knobs.
If money is tight and you're looking to "keep going" buy a CD or bond.
Lotsa pitfalls with buying rigs you can't afford to buy and planing on a later profit. Biggest one is you're stuck with a large yard planter or mailbox mount especially if you're in a hurry for the profit part of this venture.
Do your homework so far as investment up front, parts in demand value, and parts not in demand value. Parting rigs is not for the poor or folks in a hurry to profit.
G'luck.

Well I have been into automotive as a hobby for 30 years, and I never thought of it as investment until I lost my job in 06 and was able to keep going by selling rare parts and vehicles I had aquired along the years.
I even bought some when I got the chance or exchanged partial trades as long as I knew someday I would be able to make money off it.
I would never tie up my money if I felt I would need it in the near future.
I know I could be sitting on it for years, and It could sell the next day making a couple C notes in the process.
I have successfully done that since 06, by being less greedy, and flexible.
I also will not buy anything that I would mind keeping if it doesn't sell.
I will get pics no matter what the outcome is, waiting for the call back from the owner.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I can tell you that if you're willing to work with a prospective buyer to get shipping worked out you can sell a rig like that out this direction and parts further east for more than you'll make right there locally. Vehicles like that don't exist around here unless they're imports from your direction...

80 W/T Cherokee - "Liz"....4bt??
69 J3000 DRA Dump - King Triton!!
Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imiceman44
Well I have been into automotive as a hobby for 30 years, and I never thought of it as investment until I lost my job in 06 and was able to keep going by selling rare parts and vehicles I had aquired along the years.
I understand "rare" stuff but there is nothing rare or highly sought after about any FSJ other than maybe the Super or Panel. Rarity/number built is a factor but there also has to be a demand for the stuff. The 401 prolly isn't too hard to sell but what ya gonna do with the carcass. The little doodads left over aren't big money items.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
I understand "rare" stuff but there is nothing rare or highly sought after about any FSJ other than maybe the Super or Panel. Rarity/number built is a factor but there also has to be a demand for the stuff. The 401 prolly isn't too hard to sell but what ya gonna do with the carcass. The little doodads left over aren't big money items.

I didn't say this was rare, just saying if the price difference between purchase and possible resale is worth the risk, and parts or trucks are in demand, I take a risk.

By the way rare is relative:
I sold some GM 205's for insane amounts of $$$, I happened to aquire them for cheap.
Sometimes offer and demand fluctuations make something completely common become rare, look at GM D60 kingpin axles.
Who would have thought I could sell them for $1300 a piece.

Last edited by imiceman44 : 02-15-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Grease Monkey

i have done this with a few cars. the most profit i made was when metal prices were high.

things of value to recycle
-catalytic converter (sell on ebay for best $$)
-aluminum and copper
-the steel in it is pretty much worthless right now unless you have 500 carsto crush.

78' Jeep Wagoneer (Tank), Built 360, 330 Miles, QT
360 V8 (fresh rebuild), Summit Racing 8600 cam, GM TBI Conversion (in progress), 31" tires no lift, 2.5" exhaust system,dual batteries, T-Max 9000 lbs winch, many plans empty pockets
Old 02-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by getlost4x4
i have done this with a few cars. the most profit i made was when metal prices were high.

things of value to recycle
-catalytic converter (sell on ebay for best $$)
-aluminum and copper
-the steel in it is pretty much worthless right now unless you have 500 carsto crush.

Catalytic converters I know are valuable but for some reason I have trouble finding buyers for them.
I have a brand new complete with Y pipe Dodge RAM 93-94 CAT that I couldn't even give away for $50.
I also still have a bunch from cars I parted, I guess I should look at ebay.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Grease Monkey

ebay is alright. you might try craigslist

the value of metal has really taken a dump during the last two years. so much so, that i don't bother doing anything unless its copper. copper is the only thing of value right now. aluminum is still rather low compared to 2 years ago when i recycled about 5 aluminum wheels and 2 aluminum radiators and got over $200 for it all. I also made about $200 on ~50 lbs of copper.

cats are really hard to sell, unless you do it on ebay.

78' Jeep Wagoneer (Tank), Built 360, 330 Miles, QT
360 V8 (fresh rebuild), Summit Racing 8600 cam, GM TBI Conversion (in progress), 31" tires no lift, 2.5" exhaust system,dual batteries, T-Max 9000 lbs winch, many plans empty pockets
Old 02-15-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imiceman44
I didn't say this was rare, just saying if the price difference between purchase and possible resale is worth the risk, and parts or trucks are in demand, I take a risk..
I thought you were thinking of buying it to beak up but it seems you've already got it so yeah part it if you must.