International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Master Mechanic

Dumb little thing looks scared!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 AM
258 I6

One of those vehicles leaks more than the other, tho.....

Rich

401, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30, amc20, D.U.I. HEI, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, 'glass tub, 1 pc tilt nose.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
Old 02-15-2010, 09:30 AM
258 I6

I saw a similar picture with these same 2 cars over on the go green site and they were saying something to the tune of "Big American SUV must be a big poluter!"

Just kidding! I laugh whenever I see one of those.

Ed
Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
Theyre actually VERY safe...check out the crash tests on youtube. And also check out the guy who replaced the engine with a hyabusa (sp?) engine for poops and giggles

Here is a video of crash tests done by the show Top Gear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bFhVvdlaI

What I take away from the test is the lack of sheet metal in front of the car to absorb the crash can cause faster deceleration and that isn't good for the passengers. Yes it is rigid, but how good is rigidity if you're dead? Like they said the forces are transferred to the passengers

Also notice the fact that your legs would be gone! They are outside the safety cage.
'88 Grand Wagoneer, towing package, 360 .030, Holley Street Dominator intake, Holley Projection, rv cam, double roller timing chain, HEI, CS144, oil pump mid plate, Thorley Headers, BJ's 3" exhaust, and more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWWCj...layer_embedded

Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 j10
yea on there web site you can opt for a full electric one as well. http://www.smartusa.com/smart-fortwo...ric-drive.aspx

I think the starter in my Jeep puts out more torque than that. Probably weighs more too.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 02-15-2010, 02:30 PM
327 Rambler

if its a high torque it probly does. i see people driving these on the highway where eveyone is doing 75-80

01 xj 3" and 31's
Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I second the suggestion to put it on the snow pile... Whenever I drive the waggy to work in tyhe winter I park it on the piled up snow in the lot thus ensuring a close parking spot even though I start later than most people... No one else can park there

I saw a brand new looking 4wd mercury mariner parked with one side so high up on a snow pile it looked like it was about to flip over in the parking lot of outback yesterday... Made me smile to see someone using an SUV like its supposed to be used even if it was in an urban enviroment... That and I like the newer fords... Still my jeep would have done a better job

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing
Old 02-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddio
Here is a video of crash tests done by the show Top Gear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bFhVvdlaI

What I take away from the test is the lack of sheet metal in front of the car to absorb the crash can cause faster deceleration and that isn't good for the passengers. Yes it is rigid, but how good is rigidity if you're dead? Like they said the forces are transferred to the passengers

Also notice the fact that your legs would be gone! They are outside the safety cage.

Well that reinforces my beliefs, I was fortunate/unfortunate to be in a K5 blazer that had the same fate, we were going at 70 MPH when someone cut us off and My brother just headed straight into a concrete barrier, we didn't feel a thing, it felt like we drove into sand and ground to a halt.
The radiator got pushed into the fan a bit making it lose most of the coolant, we put some more in it and drove it 30 miles to home.
I would always take a bigger car/ truck that has more mass which could absorb the hit, not me.
I hit a car that just jumped out of a street in front of me while riding my bike and even though I flew over it on impact, my nuts and legs were hurting for a few weeks from the impact.
These cars were designed for european cities where they are the only size available and speeds don't exceed 25 MPH.
I see them here all over CA on highways going 65-70MPH
Crazy people