International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 02:09 PM
232 I6

79 cherokee grille question

it's supposed to arrive tomorrow or tues, being shipped from ATL-->PHX.

it has the egg crate grille. i've got a complete rhino grille setup i could put on it. however...is/was there a different hood that came on FSJ's with rhino grille vs other grilles?

i'm not an egg crate fan but i also like the razor grille. if the rhino needs a different hood i'll grab a razor grille and convert to round headlights. jeeps with square lights is just wrong.

thanks for any info.
cheers, md
Old 07-14-2019, 03:07 PM
350 Buick

The hoods are basically the same, the ones for the razor grills and egg crate grill will have holes on the leading edge to mount the hood bar. early and later hoods do not. The original hoods that had the rhino grills are supposed to be slightly different and fit better around the grill. Now if you decide to get rid of that rhino grill, let me know. I have a nice razor grill also and I am in the Surprise area, thanks, Tim
Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 PM
232 I6

hey tim,
i dont plan on getting rid of the rhino, those things seem to be a dying breed. and dying breeds are expensive.

so was there a some sort of 'beauty' trim around the middle of the hood that helped it fit better around a rhino grill or was the hood actually formed different in the center section?

do you want to sell your razor?

thanks, md
Old 07-15-2019, 03:45 AM
350 Buick

No trim ring, just supposedly the early rhino hoods are form slightly different to fit better with the rhino grill than later hoods. The later hoods still fit pretty good around the razor grill. I will hold on to the razor till I find a reasonably priced rhino grill to replace it, so if you would be interested in a trade and some cash then lets talk, if not its ok. thanks, Tim
Old 07-15-2019, 05:55 PM
232 I6

hey tim,
i'm going to hold on to the rhino...just in case.
i'd be interested to chat though about what you have may done on your SJ.

i had a GW in the early to mid-2000's, it was an '83...i think. but i never did anything to it before i sold it. (big life regret there.) had jeeps since high school but this is the first FSJ that i'll really be putting time, energy and money in to.

if ya wouldn't mind talking on the phone i'd appreciate it...if not, no prob.

thanks much, md
Old 07-15-2019, 09:05 PM
350 Buick

no problem, pm me for phone number.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:16 PM
360 AMC

Yeah, the hood is curved differently between Rhino and non-Rhino hoods. The other thing to consider, you will have some brackets to remove and if you look at the bottom of the radiator opening, after about 1975, they are REALLY wavey.

So here is an actual Rhino installed for reference to my other points (not becuase you don't know what a rhino grill is but so you can compare them):

OK, so looking at this picture you can see the brackets I am talking about circled in yellow (they are on both sides, but I only circled the one side), Wavey area on the bottom circled in green, a gap created by the different curves of the hood scribble circled in green at the top, and the different curve pointed to with the blue arrow. You can also see the holes Tim is talking about.

And here is another install but without the scribbles all over it.

All that to say, the grill "fits" but to have it look "Factory" you need the hood and radiator support as well. IMHO, none of those issues are that big of a deal and I think they look fine like that (like the second and third pictures). The only ones that ever notice are folks that spend way to much time on this forum (like me). BTW, you stabbed me in my heart:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madduck
...jeeps with square lights is just wrong...
HAHAHAHA!!! I love my pignose grill! I think XJs would look wrong with round headlights, and I think one of the best looking FSJs of all time are Muscle grilled/pignosed, Step sided Honcho's with Brows, too.

09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 07-16-2019, 06:54 PM
360 AMC

oh, and.. 79 Cherokee would have been pignose'ed. The brackets at the bottom were different between pignose and razor and there are some other brackets you would need to remove at the top; so razor/eggcrate won't just swap straight across. You won't have the holes on the hood for the hood bar so if you install a eggcrate or razor, you will need to drill them to install the hood bar.

The linkage is also different between razor/eggcrate/rhino and pignose to open the hood so you will need to source that stuff, too.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 07-17-2019, 04:21 PM
232 I6

Quote:
BTW, you stabbed me in my heart:
oh no man...chocolate vs vanilla, blond vs brunette vs redhead vs dont care...we CAN all get along in the jeep-o-sphere.

my first love when i was growing in the 70s n' 80s was with the cj so round fenders and round headlights were what hooked my on this dysfunctional, and expensive, lifestyle.

those j-trucks...are freaking sick! the good kind that is. and i love the trucks with the brows. i'm not a fan of step-sides tho, but again, that's ok. i can appreciate a well resto'd or taken care of jeep, be it a step-side, have round headlights or square. theyre jeeps at the end of the day. i'm just so fortunate my wife doesnt mind my jeep addiction. i think she secretly likes it in fact.

thank you so much for the pics and explanation of the different grills, really appreciate the time you put into this. and you are correct, my sj has a pig-nose not an egg-crate. i think i'll hold off on installing the rhino and work on getting a razor. although...i think i'll install some round headlights in the pig and see what she looks like. i do prefer the round light as i said plus i'm going to drop the coin for some nice Speaker lights. i put a pair in my lj and absolutely love 'em. my eyes aint getting any better and i love the illumination they provide at night.

thanks so much for the info...and your trucks look mahhhhh'vah-lous.

Last edited by Madduck : 07-17-2019 at 06:25 PM.