International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 09-12-2000, 08:30 AM
327 Rambler

Red face

Uhhhh....

My air pump is non-functional, and the DSPO disconnected the pump-to-manifold hoses. So the ports at the manifold are just open to the engine bay. My question is, are there any problems that this will cause? Can I just cap off the ports and wait to replace this (Probably why there's a lot of exhaust smell in the cabin)?
TIA,

------------------
Langdon
'79 Cherokee (PO)S
360 2bbl, TH400, Q-Trac
Old 09-12-2000, 11:33 AM
Master Mechanic

Wink

It would be ok if he had left the check valve on each side. but in my case recently one check valve fell off in my hands.. the other is still there.. so the tubes that were hooekd to that vavle have screws stuck in em.. it is an exhaust leak and will vent exhaust wherever it can get too. In the past I have taken out the bolts in the manifold and put in brass plugs.. havent gotten around to that yet as i have been soaking the bolts with non-flammable penetrant every few days
Old 09-12-2000, 11:56 AM
Grease Monkey

Cool

The PO of mine just cut the tubes off 2 inches from the manifold and brazed 'em shut.
Old 09-12-2000, 12:50 PM
327 Rambler

Thumbs up

Thanks,
I'll probably just make a short, capped-off piece of hose for each one.

------------------
Langdon
'79 Cherokee (PO)S
360 2bbl, TH400, Q-Trac
Old 09-12-2000, 01:11 PM
Grease Monkey

Wink

I recently pulled out the AIR system on my as part of an upgrade to a Holley projection EFI. One side the bolts came out and I was able to replace them with 9/16 fine thread. I remember the size because is was a royal pain in the you know what to find bolts to replace the stock banjo nuts. Unformtunately, the bolts all broke apart on the left side so I tapped them out and screwed in 5/16 regular thread bolts -- this may be wrong but I think that's the correct size. However, one of the holes left by the broken banjo bold has a 1/4" tap extractor broken off in it. A failed attempt to pull out the part of the bolt that broke off. Hind sight being what it is, I would not have done that again. Unfortunately, a tap extractor makes a lousy plug and I hear the exhaust on acceleration. One of these days I'll pull off the manifold on the left side, drill out the old bolts but, that will be a day when I'm feeling a little brave then at the present. However, the engine compartment is a whole lot neeter without all those tubes running all over the place!

------------------
1987 GW "Christine"
AMC360 / NP229 / TF727
Holley Projection 2bbl
TFI Ignition upgrade
Old 09-12-2000, 03:24 PM
Third Member

Wink

Lanierboy, I bought Edelbrock headers that have the AIR tubes welded in place. The cost of those, and trying to retain my original emissions equipment, is the main reason I've put off switching over to a Holley EFI system. Also, I spent $250 to have the headers Jet-Hot coated, so I don't want to start cutting the AIR tubes off and welding the holes shut.

Do you think I could cap off the AIR tubes where the check valves now are? How about using those same openings to hold O2 sensors?

Old 09-13-2000, 04:26 AM
Master Mechanic

Wink

I think those banjo bolt look an awefull lot like hydraulic fittings. I am goin to check into the hydraulic world also when looking for plugs for mine.. Of if anyone was to replace theyre.. this may be a trade that uses similar fittings.. just an idea
Old 09-13-2000, 12:33 PM
Grease Monkey

Cool

Ralph,
I would think that capping off the air tubes at at the check valves would work just fine. Theoretically, disconnecting the AIR pump will in effect make the check valves into caps. As far as O2 sensors, If I understand what you're looking at, the sensor would not project adequately into the exhaust flow. For the Holly projection unit that I used, it only supports one sensor which I located at the Y pipe junction as to read a sample from the whole engine. As I'm sure you are aware, more sophisiticated EFI systems have an O2 sensor in both manifolds and one down stream before the Cat. I believe that only a multiport fuel injection would take advantage of such an elaborate setup. That is much more technology than the Holley throttle body system supports. The low-tech system I installed has screw pots to adjust the different settings. Non-the-less, I'm very happy with the improvement over a carburetor.

------------------
1987 GW "Christine"
AMC360 / NP229 / TF727
Holley Projection 2bbl
TFI Ignition upgrade
Old 09-13-2000, 04:56 PM
Master Mechanic

Wink

My air tube to my cat is plugged at the cat.. the driver side air tubes have screws stuck in them as the check valve and larger piece of tube that it lived on rusted away. Howerver.. on the pass side of my motor I still have all air tubes and the check valve.. and it does not leak.. so if you dont get in past this point they wont leak. (unless the check valve is bad of course)

------------------
88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
Warn 20990 Lockouts
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Custom Hacking Via S.P.A. (Standard Polish Archetecture)