• Show
Clear All
  • spduffee
    232 I6
    • Jul 20, 2017

Is a 304 Compatible with a 727?

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing ok.
    I hope this is an easy question: Could I easily pull out my 360 and drop in a 304? Will it bolt right up to the 727? If not "easy", how hard would it be?

Thanks and take care,

Shawn
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

may need the correct flexplate

Comment

• spduffee
      232 I6
      • Jul 20, 2017

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
      may need the correct flexplate
      Thank you.

Comment

• SC/397
        Administrator
        • Feb 01, 2010

Asked and answered correctly.. That was perfect!
        The flex plate on both the 304 and 360 have a dual bolt pattern so that you can bolt them up to a 904 or 727. So, if you are trying to find a flex plate for a 304 that bolts up to a 727, the stock 904 flex plate is the same thing.
        There are pictures of them in this thread.
        http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_flywheels.htm Eddy's site gives a pretty good explination and part numbers of the various flywheels but, I thought I might show a little more informatio
        The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• spduffee
          232 I6
          • Jul 20, 2017

Ok, that makes sense. I figured since they are essentially "the same" it couldn't be too much effort.
          Thank you both for your help.
          Stay safe,
          Shawn

Comment

I replaced the seized 360 in my ‘73 J4000 with a ‘77 AMX 304. I discovered there are 3 different flexplates for 304 in Jeeps (and one different one in ‘71 only AMC cars with 304 and stock Borg Warner Auto) Early TH400 (nailhead Version with AMC adapter ring and crank spacer that fits the ‘71 only 304 and 72 to ‘79 304 as well. Same 304 flexplate balance until AMC patterned TH400 in ‘74) Torque converter was different too.

‘72 to ‘79 304 Works with amc TH400 case and later flexplate.

Last but not least ‘72+ AMC car and ‘80+ CJ with 304 auto have the correct Flexplate for 727 or 999. You can upgrade a bit further depending how far you want to go. I got to the point that I “hate” the Ford style starter and would rather score an ‘87+ 727 with XJ style starter and have the later flexplate rebalanced for the 304.
            I had planned to put my 304 with an AW4 ($100 to rebalance 6 cyl flexplate) and run a Mopar Dana/Spicer 20 TCase off an IH behind it.

Don’t use the 360 harmonic balancer on the 304. It’s slightly too heavy offset.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• spduffee
              232 I6
              • Jul 20, 2017

Thanks for that...Now I'm totally confused...
              I checked the serial number and it is a '72-80. The rest of the stuff the seller had was all Jeep stuff, so I assume it came from a CJ. The starter is Motorcraft. It had a flywheel on it, but when I said it was going in a Wagi with a TF727 he kept it. The engine is complete with the harmonic balancer.
              So, which flexplate should I be looking for? Do I just search for the year-range?

Thanks,
              Shawn

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                350 Buick
                • Feb 15, 2010

easiest to look into amc cars with the 304 and 727 trans for the flexplate, maybe early to late 70's?

Comment

• SC/397
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 01, 2010

The 304 and 360 have the same crank shaft. They are just balanced differently.
                  The 1970 & 1971 crankshaft has a flat flange and will not work with a 727/904 flex plate unless modifications are made.
                  All 1972 and later 304/360 crank shafts will work with the 727/904 flex plate.

The only thing to remember is if you are using a engine that was mated to a TH400 and installing it to a 727/904, there is a sizing ring in the end of the crank that has to be removed.
                  It is all in here: https://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com...els-flexplates

Comment

• SC/397
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by spduffee
                    Thanks for that...Now I'm totally confused...
                    I checked the serial number and it is a '72-80. The rest of the stuff the seller had was all Jeep stuff, so I assume it came from a CJ. The starter is Motorcraft. It had a flywheel on it, but when I said it was going in a Wagi with a TF727 he kept it. The engine is complete with the harmonic balancer.
                    So, which flexplate should I be looking for? Do I just search for the year-range?

Thanks,
                    Shawn

Your best bet would be to find a used one. The counter weight size is noted in the post. To do it right, the new flex plate should be match balanced to the original flywheel. You could buy one of these but more than likely the engine will vibrate unless you get it match balanced.

Or, you could have a machine shop match balance your 360 flex plate to the 304 flywheel.

904727flexplate by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                    Last edited by SC/397; 03-28-2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Ristow
                      • Jan 20, 2006

Pioneer makes the flexplate you need. inexpensive and well made.
                      Originally posted by Hankrod
                      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• spduffee
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 20, 2017

LOL, this reminds me of the American Treaure films with Cage & Voight...One clue leading to another clue, to another. But in both of those, Cage's character was heavily financed, went through a nasty divorce but did get the treasure (and win the girl, again).
                        Is there anyway to further pinpoint the year of the engine? 70-82 is a big spread. I did see a big S stamped next to the serial number, but clearly not part of it. Does it have any meaning? Is it a secret ancient Mayan code?
                        I do appreciate the links and comments. I did a quick search for used flexplates: Some are awfully proud of theirs, yeesh.
                        Thanks,
                        Shawn
                        Last edited by spduffee; 03-28-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• SC/397
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 01, 2010

LOL, this reminds me of the American Treaure films with Cage & Voight...One clue leading to another clue, to another. But in both of those, Cage's character was heavily financed, went through a nasty divorce but did get the treasure (and win the girl, again).
                          Is there anyway to further pinpoint the year of the engine? 70-82 is a big spread. I did see a big S stamped next to the serial number, but clearly not part of it. Does it have any meaning? Is it a secret ancient Mayan code?
                          I do appreciate the links and comments. I did a quick search for used flexplates: Some are awfully proud of theirs, yeesh.
                          Thanks,
                          Shawn

Yes there is but it really doesn't matter. From 1972 to 1982 they are all the same. There are casting numbers and the year embossed on the cylinder head under the rocker arm cover. I didn't find a Pioneer brand that was just for a 304. The ones I saw, listed the same part number is for a 304 and 360. Again, the best bet is to have your 360 flex plate match balanced to the 304 flywheel if you can borrow the flywheel from the guy. Post up a picture of the back of the 304 crank and we can tell you if it is a 1972 or later engine.

Comment

• babywag
                            out of order
                            • Jun 08, 2005

since 304/360 crank(s) are same I imagine an off shelf flexplate probably be fine.
                            a new rebuild obviously best to have balanced but for a swap probably be fine to just buy/use flexplate ya get.
                            Tony
                            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• joe
                              • Apr 28, 2000

Is there anyway to further pinpoint the year of the engine? 70-82 is a big spread.
                              Thanks,
                              Shawn
                              The "FSJ Tech Library" is your friend
                              The largest resource for full size Jeep information on the net! The IFSJA is a community of owners and enthusiasts of SJ series Full Size Jeeps.
                              joe
                              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Working...
                              X