• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by nstevic01
    I'm not seeing a way to resize them. I posted them on a couple of other forums and they are normal size. Not sure what's happening.
    What I do after I take my pictures, I save them to my desktop, open them in paint and resize, re-save them, then upload them. I use an Iphone SE and re-size them to 20% of original and that comes out pretty well.

The only way I know to fix the old pics is to repost them. So once you have them uploaded into whatever service you use (google, photobucket, flickr, whatever) get you link, go edit your post, and put the new link in where the old link was. There may be easier ways but that is the only way I know how.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• nstevic01
      232 I6
      • May 11, 2017

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
      What I do after I take my pictures, I save them to my desktop, open them in paint and resize, re-save them, then upload them. I use an Iphone SE and re-size them to 20% of original and that comes out pretty well.

The only way I know to fix the old pics is to repost them. So once you have them uploaded into whatever service you use (google, photobucket, flickr, whatever) get you link, go edit your post, and put the new link in where the old link was. There may be easier ways but that is the only way I know how.

The issue Im running in to now is editing the old post doesn't retain most of the info. It's like its hitting some sort of limit without telling me. I have backups of all my posts with the links, but when I paste it in, it only saves about a paragraph and thats it. I reached out to the site admin to see whats going on.

Comment

• bkilby
        350 Buick
        • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang

Rang, download this free app. You can save the pics to your desktop in different sizes without having to resize them. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi...380326191?mt=8
        1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• rockosocko
          232 I6
          • Jun 20, 2014

You "Only need it to last 4 months"?
          Is that the trans or what?
          Are you going to an auto? I might be interested in the flywheel/clutch assy
          I'll PM you.
          Thanks
          Errol

Comment

• nstevic01
            232 I6
            • May 11, 2017

Originally posted by rockosocko
            You "Only need it to last 4 months"?
            Is that the trans or what?
            Are you going to an auto? I might be interested in the flywheel/clutch assy
            I'll PM you.
            Thanks
            Errol
            4 months is what I needed to get out of the clutch setup before switching to the auto trans. Ill look for the PM.

Comment

• nstevic01
              232 I6
              • May 11, 2017

Does anyone know an admin that can reach out to me? I submitted request through the contact us link, but have heard nothing yet. I need to figure out what is breaking my posts on the first page.

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 15, 2016

Cool build man! Definitely following this one.
                '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
                (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• Cowboiler
                  230 Tornado
                  • May 25, 2019

Twister truck

I took a photo with a truck on Memorial Day that says it is the #2 of four different trucks used in the movie. Apparently this one is from Guthrie where some of the movie was shot.

Comment

• nstevic01
                    232 I6
                    • May 11, 2017

Mega-Post time. 10 months worth of updates!!

March 2019
                    So…A LOT has happened since I last posted. Life got in the way a few times, but for the most part the truck is making some significant progress.
                    Starting just after getting the lightbar repainted, she went to her first car show. My son’s school hosts an annual car show to help raise money for the school. I ended up not placing in any of the categories, despite being one of the coolest vehicles there. I’m not biased or anything…

Right after that, I finally got the alert I was waiting for on eBay. The Panasonic e330 with the correct faceplate, in working condition no less, popped up for sale. I immediately purchased it, and a few days later I now have the last of the screen accurate interior electronics.

Some time passed and I eventually got tired of running the carburetor. It was giving me nothing but issues during the colder mornings and no matter what I did, always seems to suffer from vapor lock. I tried spacers, clothes pins, wrapping the lines, etc… nothing seemed to work. So I pulled the trigger on the Sniper EFI. Had it installed in the better part of the afternoon. Since it was put in, it has run like a dream. The only issue I had after the install was with the in line fuel pump. That is something I will not be keeping.

April 2019
                    Fast forward a bit, work begins on the body. My buddy came over and started on the tailgate, which at the time seemed like the biggest issue. More to come on that statement later in the post.

A couple of months go by, and a fuel pump later, something seemed off with Jo. I was playing with the timing one day to dial her in for the summer heat and out of nowhere it just died. I set the timing back, wouldn’t fire. I set the timing 180 degrees off, fires right up but dies with throttle. I disconnect the vacuum advance, plug the hole, fire it up again. It now runs and revs. Very odd. I reconnect the vac advance, give it throttle and it dies immediately. I basically come to the conclusion that the timing chain jumped a few teeth. I leave the vac advance disconnected and just decide to send it until it dies.
                    In the mean-time, I started looking at options for drivetrain replacement. I figured I would need to rebuild at some point anyway, so why not just do it all while Im in there. I toyed with an LS swap, a Cummins swap, a 401 swap, full electric, etc… Eventually I settled on just rebuilding the existing 360. Sure it will cost more, but in the long run I loved how the 360 sounded, and I wanted to keep her mostly original. The came the choice I needed to make on the transmission. My inner elitist said accuracy was key and I needed to swap to an automatic transmission to be screen accurate. I like the manual, but it gets in the way of all the dash mounted components and would not work out in the long run. Anyway, after MANY posts on the FSJ Facebook page, a generous member ended up bringing me a complete 360/727 auto drivetrain. It came with EVERYTHING. Wiring harness, cruise control, all of the trans linkages, a new radiator, it was amazing.

I figured this was a fantastic score. I had everything I needed to begin the process of rebuilding the drivetrain while still being able to drive the truck. I almost immediately began tearing everything down.

I made some calls to machine shops within a 50 mile radius trying to get quotes on getting work done to the block and crank. The block was in ok condition, but there was oil sludge in the pan and valve covers. It needed to be rebuilt. By the time I got the machine work done, and did a full rebuild, the motor alone was going to run me over $6k. I started looking at remanufactured motors just to price it out. BJs Offroad offers remanufactured short blocks through S&J at a slight discount. With a more aggressive cam, the oiling mod done, and paint, it came out to be around $2980 to my doorstep after the core was refunded. The price for the short block work was comparable, but the key was that it came with a warranty. The internal struggle was real, the motor sat in my cart at BJ’s for a good while before I finally pulled the trigger. And pull the trigger I did…I spent a good portion of my budget getting a bunch of other goodies from them as well. More on that later.
                    Up until this point I had to commute for work. Around March of last year, I finally got to start working from home full time. This meant that I could start to get some serious work done without having to worry about being able to drive to work the next day. If I didn’t finish something over the weekend, it could just sit.
                    In my down time, I figured I would work on a way of reproducing the A/C vents. Since there is really not a supplier that sells these, you basically have to wait until you find used ones in decent shape. I had one perfect one, and 3 broken ones. Between the 4, I had everything I needed to flex my modeling skills to get these made up and printed.
                    This is what one looks like in good shape.

I started by modeling the linkage that connects all the blades together, simple enough, and a straightforward design. I think I only had one version of this, since the first one printed so well.

Next up were the vent blades themselves. These were a little bit of a pain to model, since I really did not have any experience doing this before. I went through a few versions before finally ending up with this.

The inner vent body wasn’t as bad. Ended up doing at least 4 different models before I got it right.

Lastly, there was the outer body of the vent. I hated this one with a passion… but persistence paid off after only 3 redesigns.

This is the final product of about a week of modeling and printing.

Ill have to figure out how to print in ABS since the PLA will most likely not hold up to Florida summers.

May 2019
                    Another fuel pump bites the dust. These inline pumps that come with the Sniper master kits are huge piles of junk.

The first one developed this obnoxiously loud whining noise when running, so loud that you could hear it over the sound of the engine running, and even while driving.
                    Take a listen here -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/U1ank2JewoawstVz7
                    I was able to get that one replaced under warranty fairly quick, but soon after the replacement was installed, same thing. It still works, but Ill need to replace it soon. I had kept hearing good things about surge tanks, specifically the RobMC ones that the Jeep guys seem to like so much. So after some research, I ended up placing the order. Couple weeks later, this guy arrives.

Basically the way it works is that you can keep the existing mechanical fuel pump mounted on the block to feed the surge tank. I’ll also re-install the old low pressure in-line electrical pump as a backup. Once the tank is full, the high pressure fuel pump inside of it will feed the fuel injection at the correct pressure. All you have to do is find a place in the engine bay to mount it. Ill have to install this at a later date.

July 2019
                    Since my A/C didn’t work, and the heater is fairly useless in Florida, I deciding to rip out all of the factory stuff to make room under the hood. Didn’t really take any pictures of this process.

Comment

• nstevic01
                      232 I6
                      • May 11, 2017

November 2019
                      I FINALLY FOUND A PAINT/BODY GUY!! For the better part of a year I have been trying to find someone that will work with me on doing body work and painting Jo. In the very beginning I had looked at a local MAACO shop that was highly reviewed. I know what you are thinking, cheap paint jobs. BUT, after reading all the reviews and talking with the guy, he does not do cheap. After looking everything over, he quote me $6k if I brought him the bare body ready to be worked on. At the time that was over half my budget and I kept searching. During that car show I had taken Jo to, one of the classic car paint guys had come over and given me his card. I had filed it away and didn’t think twice about it. One day, when I had some time, I ran down there. Guy has a shop in his back yard and all he does is classic vehicles. After he looked it over, he gave me a quote of $10k, if I did all the prep work… At this point I was seriously entertaining just doing the whole damn thing myself. Fast forward to now, I had made acquaintances with a guy that owns a Jurassic Park Jeep replica locally and we got to talking about his paint. He found a local guy that also paints stuff in his back yard as a side business. Catch is, he only does movie cars and vehicles he finds interesting. This is the JP Jeep in question.

I went out to see it in person and the paint is flawless. He said the process was hassle free and he just paid as he went. At that point, I made an appointment to go meet the painter. Turns out, he has a J2000 in the backyard, pretty much the same truck. We went over everything and he agreed to do the entire truck, bodywork and all for $5k. It was a hell of a deal.

Not too much longer after that, Jo’s electrical system had had enough. Wires were constantly melting, fuses blowing, battery not charging, lights not working…. It was time. I pulled her in the driveway and shut her off for the last time.

I began the tear down that weekend. I managed to get all of the bolt ons and the bulk of the interior out in practically no time at all.

A couple of weekends later, my buddy Lee came over and we got the front clip and bed off. I managed to capture a time lapse video on this one.
                      Front clip and bed removal -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCZGFdLdPug&t=1s

By the end of Saturday, we were left with this. Just looking at it…I think it would be kinda cool to drive it around like this.

The next day he came back over and we got the drivetrain out.
                      Drivetrain removal -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NRGiAEF6NE

Garage is getting really full.

Comment

• nstevic01
                        232 I6
                        • May 11, 2017

About a week later, the paint guy came and picked up the bed to work on. Since this needed the most work of the entire truck, he wanted to get a head start on it.

It didn’t take long for him to message me. Upon arriving at his place he found that two of the wheels on the cart I made had busted. Other than that though, the bed arrived safe and sound.

A couple of days later, the pictures of the bed started rolling in.

He slowly unfolds the years of damage, ty fixes, and layers of paint and bondo.

Comment

• nstevic01
                          232 I6
                          • May 11, 2017

He determined that he will need to take off all the paint just to see what’s hiding after seeing the above. On to the stripper!

So that is where the bed is at right now.

Comment

• nstevic01
                            232 I6
                            • May 11, 2017

December 2019
                            Now that the bed is out of the way, on to the remanufactured motor. After pulling the trigger on the motor from BJs, it arrived right at the beginning of December.

I got it uncrated and up on the stand to start inspecting it closer. Turns out the paint job was crap, lots of areas were missed and there was overspray on parts of it.

I ended up going back to them and showing them the pictures. They agreed that it was less than ideal and ended up sending me a full can of paint to take care of the problem areas.

Next I had to move on to the core return block. I ended up using the one that came out of Jo since it was already assembled. Once I got the timing cover off, I soon had my explanation for the timing being off so much. The chain was incredibly lose…

Boxed up and ready to head back.

January 2020

Time to kick it in to gear on the cab. I need to have it ready for the paint guy by the end of January. So the first weekend was spent pulling out all of the glass. It went surprisingly well and I did not end up breaking anything.

This past weekend was spent starting panel repairs. First up are the floor pans. Whoever did this repair… it turned out to be a tin sheet riveted to the floor and covered in resin. There was tar sandwiched between the body and the plate. I suppose it worked since the rot didn’t spread. But it needs to go.

This week I’m working on getting the floor cut out, then welding in the new panels. Then moving on to the firewall to get all of those holes welding up.

So there we are, almost a year’s worth of updates in a single day.

Comment

• nstevic01
                              232 I6
                              • May 11, 2017

It seems as if the forum gods hate me, most of my page 1 posts are corrupt and missing lots of info.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 31, 2016

Hm. (post 1)

You have done amazing work here! I have your youtube links open in new tabs and am looking forward to watching them.

He only works on movie cars?!?! THAT is SUPER COOL!!!! $5K for a paint job?!? That is a STEALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! Your bed looks pretty darn good! I assume you were posting those pics thinking they were terrible but I have seen MUCH worse!

So glad I subscribed to this thread! It is really fun to watch!
                                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                                X