Old 07-11-2020, 09:08 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Size Jeeper
Looking really good.

Thank you
Old 07-11-2020, 09:13 PM
327 Rambler

I couldn't help myself, This evening I had to clean everything up, turn the truck around drop the gas tank, remove all the wood and clean and prep the frame so I can finish painting that. Then it started raining so I quit for the night. In the morning I will finish painting the frame and get ready to start installing the bed.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:21 PM
327 Rambler

Today my wife and I managed to wrestle the bed into place

I didn't do it in the garage because I was afraid I would damage the paint if I lifted it by the rafters and it was already on the cart so I pushed the cart out to the truck, lined it up and with some ratchet straps and some 2x4s we managed to work it into place without too much difficulty. There was a little bit of a clearance issue with the extra bracing I had added in line with the wheel wells but it wasn't hard to clearance.

Now I'm off to Lowe's to buy some bolts to get it mounted and start looking for where I put the rubber pads that go between it and the frame

It feels really good to finally be at this point Soon I might even be driving it again
Old 07-13-2020, 09:05 PM
327 Rambler

I didn't get a whole lot done today because I was waiting for unemployment to call me back, which they didn't . All I got done was to get the rubber pads under the bed mounts and the bolts dropped in place and got the areas that need touched up sanded so I can do the touch up in the morning.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:15 AM
Administrator

It looks sooooo awesome!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 07-14-2020, 06:36 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
It looks sooooo awesome!

Thank you Rang
Old 07-14-2020, 06:52 PM
327 Rambler

I didn't make a whole lot of visual progress today but I got the all the touch up done and it looks really good while I was at it I mixed up enough of the red to do the lettering on the tailgate so I shot that too.

I still need to add the Gladiator logo but I need to find my templates and need to get the right tape. I also need to go through my shed because apparently when I moved it around rearranging the shed I lost one of the hinges and I need to find it before I can put it on.

The last thing I did was tighten down 4 of the 8 bed mounting bolts. I need to find a 1/2" drive socket so I can tighten the other 4 down without recruiting any help.

So next steps, finish bolting down the bed, install the chrome on the bed and passenger door, install the gas tank, then tail lights. Last thing will be installing the bumpers and it will be complete...well mostly ...I do still need to repaint the wheels and fix the exhaust but those won't stop me from driving it

Oh there is one more thing the nut that fastens the antenna down is stripped so I need to find a replacement for it of figure something else out.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:40 PM
327 Rambler

Cranky

Your Jeep is looking fantastic, It's amazing how quick you did this. I still don't have my jeep running! I has been cool watching you fix and fab on the go. the paint looks great. be sure to figure out how to theft proof that tailgate. It is like the cherry on top. I might have what you need for the antenna. Is the mount different on the older jeeps? I'm just a little confused about what you are looking for. I have tons of spare parts.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:16 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 WIDETRAC
Cranky

Your Jeep is looking fantastic, It's amazing how quick you did this. I still don't have my jeep running! I has been cool watching you fix and fab on the go. the paint looks great. be sure to figure out how to theft proof that tailgate. It is like the cherry on top. I might have what you need for the antenna. Is the mount different on the older jeeps? I'm just a little confused about what you are looking for. I have tons of spare parts.

Thank you, It doesn't seem like it has gone fast but it's getting very close to finished.

Pre '73 tailgates don't just lift out like the later ones, they are actually captivated by the hinges so to remove then you have to remove a hing which requires an Allen wrench and a little more time than most people would want to spend.

Yesterday when I went to work I got a tap and cleaned up the threads on the antenna nut so hopefully it will work now but if it doesn't I'll get some pictures up and PM you. I don't know if the early ones are different than the later ones.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:40 AM
327 Rambler

Yesterday I got the rest of the bed bolts tightened, all the chrome trim on and the back side markers. I started to put the tail lights back on but ran into an issue with the wires being cut short. I don't even know why the so called professional removed the tail lights but when he did instead of disconnecting them where they disconnect or cutting the wires where they are easy to reach he cut them about 3 inches from the light which makes the difficult to reach to splice. The housings also needed cleaned up...actually one is all jacked up, it was bent up and someone replaced the socket by hacking a hole in the housing and sticking a replacement piece through it. I'll try to get pictures of that butchery later.

I went through my shed and found the missing tailgate hinge. Apparently I put it in the other tailgate for safe keeping.

So I took the tail light housings and tail gate hinges to work, sand blasted them and extended the wires and I should get them painted this morning and possibly get them installed today but I might work on the gas tank instead.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:51 PM
327 Rambler

Today wasn't very productive. I couldn't find my solder so I couldn't get the tail light wires connected. but the lights are in and tested, I just need to get a bit of solder to finish the wiring up. I didn't get anything done with the gas tank because I need to cut the hole larger that the filler neck goes through and couldn't find the stuff to do that. I left my Allen wrenches at work so didn't get the tailgate installed. I really wanted to post a pic of the back end with the tailgate and brand new light installed. Finally the threads on the antenna nut are too far gone and it won't tighten down but I got a 1/2 - 20 nut and that did, so that will do for now until I find the right thing or make one.

So maybe tomorrow will be more productive.

In the mean time, here are some pics of the hacked up tail light housing

I painted then white before I installed them hoping they would shine a little brighter and installed a bonding jumper so the grounds are better.

And here are some pics of the antenna and the part I need

This first one is the nut, it's basically a cap nut with 1/2 - 20 threads

It threads on to the antenna where I have this nut

It would be nice to have the right part but I suppose if worse comes to worse I can probably drill a hole in a cap nut, or make a rubber cap for a regular nut, or possibly fabricate a new nut out of some of the aluminum I have put back.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:28 PM
350 Buick

I might have an original antenna base on my 72 parts truck. I'll try to look this weekend.
Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock
Old 07-16-2020, 10:22 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk
I might have an original antenna base on my 72 parts truck. I'll try to look this weekend.

That would be appreciated
Old 07-17-2020, 11:38 AM
232 I6

[quote=Crankyolman]

/QUOTE]
Cranky, that looks incredible! Can't wait to see it with the "Gladiator" painted on!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 07-17-2020, 02:00 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbinius
Cranky, that looks incredible! Can't wait to see it with the "Gladiator" painted on!

Thank you, I had planned on hanging the tailgate today but had some free time at work yesterday so made up some new templates for the logo and decided I need to wait on hanging the tailgate until I got the logo painted on
Old 07-18-2020, 09:06 AM
327 Rambler

Yesterday I didn't get a whole lot done. Morning rain kind of slowed me down. I just didn't feel like working in the rain but once it stopped I went out and soldered up the tail light wires, so that's all done and I I got the fuel filler neck mounted.

I wanted to paint the logo on the tailgate and get it mounted but decided to wait so I could plan out the best use of paint. That's a real problem with 2 part paint, once it's mixed it has to get used or thrown away and because you have to mix in certain proportions, I can't just mix up a spoon full so I have to plan out any possible other uses for the paint so it isn't wasted. Yesterday at work I did get the final copy of the logo template drawn out so it's just a matter of placing it, cutting it out and painting.

I had actually planned on including the logo when I did the tailgate lettering but when I did the touch up on the body I had a lot of leftover paint even though I mixed the minimum amount I could so I decided to quickly mask and paint the letters before the paint set up. So now I need to give the red parts one more good going over and get fully prepared before I mix any more. That won't happen today because today's plans don't include the truck but it's my Friday and there isn't much left to finish so hopefully It will be all finished by Wednesday when I go back to work .
Old 07-19-2020, 03:55 PM
327 Rambler

I don't have anything in my parts that look like the antenna you have. All of mine are newer.

I have a rust spot on my project that you would have already fixed if it were yours. I need those skills! It's cool watching the fab work happen so quick on builds like yours.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:55 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 WIDETRAC
I don't have anything in my parts that look like the antenna you have. All of mine are newer.

I have a rust spot on my project that you would have already fixed if it were yours. I need those skills! It's cool watching the fab work happen so quick on builds like yours.

I think my skills are average at best but I have access to a pretty decent sheet metal shop at work and am fairly motivated right now and have watched a bunch of videos from a guy who goes by Urchfab and another one called Trev's blog on Youtube and learned a lot.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:47 PM
327 Rambler

Today was a good day on the truck I finished and installed the tailgate, got the last little bit of red touched up, made all the wiring nice and neat and got the gas tank reinstalled.

The truck now runs and drives

Next on the list is paint the bumpers and reinstall them. That shouldn't be difficult and isn't necessary to drive it but I will try to get the paint done tomorrow. I got the back side painted today and just need to sand, prime and paint the outside now.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:31 PM
327 Rambler

Looks like Cubeupload is back up so here is the picture of the back end of the truck

all painted and pretty with the Gladiator logo and new tail lights and backup lights. One of the guys I work with found what he says are the correct NOS tail light lenses when he was in Juno and a while back and when I lost a backup light lens a while back I found some NOS ones that were identical to what it had. I don't know if these are stock because I have seen several '72s with these lights but many have the beehive lights. Stock or not, these lights work better than the backup lights on my Escape so It's easy to see when backing up in the dark.

My wife said I should have written this on the tailgate

To take a shot at the new Gladiators but I thought that was a bit over the top.

My plans for today are to clean up the front yard and driveway and possibly try to get the bumpers painted and if time allows try to get a coat of paint inside the bed but my wife and I both have medical appointments to deal with so I may not get much done.

I got back from my appointment and was waiting to take my wife to hers so I quickly sanded down the bumpers and got them ready for paint. When I get back from this appointment I hope to get the bumpers painted, which will get them reinstalled tomorrow and I will be able to start driving it again