International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-03-2019, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel
For those with AW4s, other than having an overdrive, how do you like it compared to the 3 speed auto it replaced? (in terms of gear ratios, gear spacing, shift patterns, lock-up in the lower gears...)
Thanks.

I can tell you that with my Javelin I had a 3 speed auto with a 2.87 rear end and a 304 and it was pretty boring and slow. I swapped in a AW4 and 3.54 rear end which made the final drive ratio 2.79 in overdrive. The car has the best of both worlds now. It really moves out nice and I can run it on the highway at 75 mph without killing the engine with rpm's. It is the best thing that I ever did to the car.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:18 PM
232 I6

Just got done pulling the A727, flexplate, and all the other stuff out. I have the transmissions side by side and started comparing linkages and what not.

Good news, the shifter lever on the AW4 is the same distance from the bellhousing as the A727. I think that will make things easier since I can use the same length shifter rod. The goal is to avoiding welding so I'll be searching for parts. Hopefully something fits the bill.

The kick-down cable looks like it can attach directly to my TBI throttle arm. I just need a way to mount the cable. It seems to use the same type of mount as the engine throttle cable.

As for the T-case.... the vacuum line on the 4WD switch just needs to be lengthened..fairly straightforward. But, I need to think about the HI-LO lever. I don't know what to do about that just yet.

Will follow up with pictures and a check list for transmission removal. There was some little stuff to look out for.
Old Today, 07:58 AM
232 I6

Flexplate off to SC/397 for balancing. Huge thanks!

My NP229 housing needs to be resealed. I plant to use loctite 515 to seal this. Any other tips when taking this apart? I'm not replacing all the seals and rebuilding it... just resealing the main housing because it leaks.

Also, I was never able to switch it into LO. Is there a way to bench test this?

Someone had dropped the transmission before (Missing and different bolts on the x-member) and replaced the torque converter. It looks pretty new. My transmission never really grabbed in 1st and 2nd... just 3rd. It made for some scary moments trying to merge with traffic. I suspect the torque converter was replaced in an attempt to fix that, but I think the real issue is that the A727 needs a rebuild. It had enough trans fluid and I adjusted the throttle rod to see what effect it had. While it got a bit better, nothing fixed it. Too much slippage. Also adjusted the bands as well to spec (book neglected to mention the 1/2? turn out). Curious what you guys think.