International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Going to sell my GW.

I decided to sell my 1990 GW. I have poured a ton of time and money into it. Over $20k anyway. One thing I haven't done is replace the wood grain, I keep meaning to, I just haven't done it, I have the kit already and everything. Wanted to ask the group if you thought my time or expense of replacing the wood grain would greatly improve the value. It has fresh metallic blue paint already, only about a year old. What do you think? New wood grain for the sell? Or just hand the boxes to the next owner?

Thanks,
Kevin
1990 Resto Mod Grand Wagoneer, S&J long block, stock intake and carb, Proform HEI, Elgin RV cam, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, 3" Flowmaster 40, Nations 170 amp alt, Rough Country 3" lift, BJ's brake lines, Katzkins leather seats, 1200 Watt/12 speaker Soundstream audio system, sunroof.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM

Just my opinion. I don't see it adding to the value but it may make it easier to sell. Im biased though. A/ I don't like the fake wood look anyway, B/ It's not rocket science hanging the stickers but it does take some skill and patience. It's expensive to have a pro do it but less risk of botching the install. Lotsa folks like and expect a GW to have the shelf paper on it so it may be easier to sell but I don't see it as a value added thing.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Señor Jackhead

To me, it would depend on how much I would like to get back out of it on the sale. Since you have a quite a bit of money into it and probably want to recover as much as possible, replacing the wood grain would help justify the price. If it was a $2500 Jeep, I would say skip it and sell the wood grain kit to someone who wants it.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 AM

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies guys. Good point on the easier to sell aspect. Looks like I'll be stripping and rewooding soon.
1990 Resto Mod Grand Wagoneer, S&J long block, stock intake and carb, Proform HEI, Elgin RV cam, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, 3" Flowmaster 40, Nations 170 amp alt, Rough Country 3" lift, BJ's brake lines, Katzkins leather seats, 1200 Watt/12 speaker Soundstream audio system, sunroof.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:19 AM
FSJ Maniac

From the picture on your avatar (too little) I cannot see the condition of the woodgrain, but like said if you want try to recover as much money you spent into it, a new woodgrain will make the Jeep looks better and sure easy to sell.
The pain, is to remove the old woodgrain. A body shop owner (now retired) told me that sometime for save time/cost on scraping off the old woodgrain, and the body of the jeep was nice, they applied the new woodgrain on top of the old.