International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Introduce Yourself.

Old 12-17-2019, 04:19 PM
232 I6

New Member with a New Toy

Hey all, looking forward to diving into the forum to research my new-to-me 1988 GW with the factory ASC sunroof (ugh...), purchased early last month.

History: Originally a California vehicle, then moved to Arkansas, then onto Vancouver, WA where I drove from Boise to buy it and trailer it home for $1,200. Dumped gas down its throat when it failed to start, then ran long enough to get it loaded onto the trailer. Didn't smell of oil or coolant the brief time I inhaled the exhaust.

It's my favorite Baltic Blue exterior with Tan interior, but it is pretty beat up (can't expect much for $1,200). It had an earlier non-headrest driver seat (with power), no right rear passenger window motor or lock actuators (piece of wood held up the window), and no tailgate motor (straps held the window up). As luck would have it, I was able to score all 3 of those off an 82 being parted out locally in the Boise area (it had my correct updated seat for some reason).

Thus far I've stripped the interior out (not the dash... yet) and begun sanding the floor pan rust. Got lucky and have only one small pinhole eaten thru one portion of the front passenger floor, but quite a few pockmarks.

I'll do some research on picture hosting sites and upload something soon. Figure I'll create a build post at some point soon too. Looking forward to learning and helping as I go.

Last edited by MysticRob : 12-19-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:07 AM
232 I6

Sounds like a start to a great ride. Baltic blue is a sharp color on those.

This is a great group of folks with lots of knowledge, experience, and a willingness to help! Welcome.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 12-18-2019, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the board! I'll be moving to Boise in the summer of 2022 (already bought a house off S Five Mile and W. Lake Hazel).

There are a few folks on here in your area so keep an eye out on the locations of folks posting. Also, if you post from an apple product (iphone, ipad, etc.) don't use apostrophe's, semi colons, etc. your post will get cut off.

Your truck sounds awesome! Looking forward to some pictures! Here are some how-to's for posting pics.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=170876
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=185569
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 12-19-2019, 01:55 PM
232 I6

I decided to join Flickr since apparently there's no way to publicly link from google photos.

Onto the eyeball candy.

On my buddy's trailer. In the market for a left front fender at this point. That and the front grill are the only things really needing replaced from damage.
The rear tailgate has a large and shallow dent from someone likely kicking it, and can be worked out. Otherwise it's very straight (other than areas mentioned), and has ZERO rust anywhere on body or frame:

As she sat once pushed into the garage. Rear passenger door damage can be seen from forcing the door open at some point with a broken door hinge. I bought a replacement door so that'll be quick work:

Put her up on jack stands to remove old wheels and tires from 2002 -- one tire was so old and cracked it leaked out from the sidewall. That 5-Series BMW wagon in the background held the recently-purchased tailgate, rear passenger door, and driver seat -- love that car...:

First of many things I removed, figuring engine work and diagnosing interior rust (from sunroof and maybe roof rails) were first on the list. Front left of hood damage can be seen here. It also hit the grill area there, so those will be replaced at some point:

Next up was gutting the interior and taking stock of the floorpans. Obvious surface rust that ate into the metal in many spots, but has only 1 small pinhole on the passenger side just right of the trans tunnel, where I just don't see how water could've even pooled there. The sunroof drain lines are clogged (I hate sunroofs!!) which is obviously what caused all the floor rust. Headliner is long-gone from sunroof water damage. Cargo area looks really good, just some random screw holes from other-than-trim-pieces, and a bit of surface rust in 2 low areas where the rear seat rubber sits:

Harbor Freight angle grinder and 4.5" polycarbonate disc to the rescue:

Last edited by MysticRob : 12-19-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:11 PM
232 I6

Got tired of black boogers from sanding floors so decided to jump into some mechanicals. Front and rear brakes were pretty hosed, though pads on all 4 corners look brand new.

Both original front brake lines:

Dust seals on both front calipers were toast, and bleeder screws were all rusted and trashed, so I spent $40 total for 'new' zinc plated jobbers from O'reillys.

Also spent $26 total for both rear wheel cylinders:

Some new DOT3 brake fluid and a great brake bleeder kit from Harbor Freight that works with the air compressor, and I was able to turkey baste the reservoir, and drain all the old blackened brake fluid -- here's the link to the kit:
https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-...der-92924.html

Brakes are done!

Last edited by MysticRob : 12-20-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:19 PM
232 I6

Bought some used tires for $150, then spent $228 getting the older GW wheels and caps that came on the GW blasted and powder coated in semi-gloss black:

Had new valve stems and cores put on the 'new' tires, and got 'em mounted & balanced, so they're ready to get put on. Had to buy a new 7/16-20 wheel stud and installer tool for the right rear, since it was busted off when I bought it too. I'll paint the wheel weights semi-gloss black shortly to match the wheels (installer didn't have black weights... WTF?):

Last edited by MysticRob : 12-19-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Looks great! Those rims look super awesome!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 12-20-2019, 12:00 PM
350 Buick

WELCOME to IFSJA

just a suggestion

I would use
POR-15 on the floor

it gets rock hard
and will make the floor pans last another 50 years.

nice work

it will be a nice wagoner.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 12-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Señor Jackhead

Wow, you jumped right in the deep end. I like Baltic blue also and have owned 2 of them. The 2nd one was a hard core rust bucket from Maine so it became a parts donor. You are making good progress. Good luck on all the work.

This picture of my "good" one after it got painted in 97.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
will make the floor pans last another 50 years
Maybe 20.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 12-20-2019, 10:40 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
WELCOME to IFSJA

just a suggestion

I would use
POR-15 on the floor

it gets rock hard
and will make the floor pans last another 50 years.

nice work

it will be a nice wagoner.

dave in NC

Great forum here!

Corroseal and POR-15 are sitting in the garage waiting for me to finish the prep work, plus some welding of oddly placed screw holes (must've been used to tie down crap in the cargo area). I'll upload more pics later. Too tired now, spent 4hrs on the cargo area hammering small dents and sanding surface rust.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:42 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Wow, you jumped right in the deep end. I like Baltic blue also and have owned 2 of them. The 2nd one was a hard core rust bucket from Maine so it became a parts donor. You are making good progress. Good luck on all the work.

This picture of my "good" one after it got painted in 97.

Maybe 20.

Beautiful. Love these things!
Maybe less than 20 years if I don't get that damn sunroof fixed at some point.