International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Street & Performance

Old 08-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Noob!

88 GW carb question

Just purchased my first Jeep. Very excited.

Knowing that I am a noob at all of this, I have enlisted the help of two different mechanic friends to help me. One will work for beer but not sure how much I should trust him yet and the other used to own a GW and owns his own shop, is very busy, and will have to charge for anything I can't do. Which at this point is everything I can't figure out using this forum.

The engine will start but will not run. It is not getting any gas. I have purchased a new fuel pump and fuel filter and will be installing that soon.

The 2150 carb was filthy and looking like it was leaking so I bought a rebuild kit and decided I would have that be my first project. With Ristow's Carb rebuild thread, (thank you Ristow! It was really cool acting like I knew what I was doing) I was rolling along with the break down. I dipped it, and then pulled it out. Right before I was heading over to wash it, I decided to look for cracks. Sure enough...

Thanks to Ristow, I knew, A - to look for cracks, and, B - that since I found one, I don't have to ask the stupid question "can I fix it?" and get that "you're and idiot" look!

So now my question,
The shop owner friend says I should get an Edelbrock 1406 and the Edelbrock 7531 Manifold.
My other friend says 600 CFM is too much for what I need and that 500 CFM is more than enough.

I want it to be a driver every other day or so. My restaurant was founded in the 80's so I want this wagon to be the mascot. Take it to caterings and such. Additionally for cruising with the family and hopefully easy trails . Don't have much to tow now but might need to if the catering takes off.

I have heard a lot of negatives on Edelbrock. I don't have an opinion on the type but I need guidance on the size, and If I am to take suggestions on Carb manufacturers, manifold suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, the only thing both of them agree on at this point is to get all of the emissions junk off. I am in San Antonio, Texas so I don't think it matters... yet.

Thanks in advance....
Old 08-06-2015, 09:25 AM

Personally I don't hate Edelbrocks. Not a terrible 4v but not a great one either. You don't need a 4v carb, the 2v 2150 is an excellent simple carb for these motors. Find one that's worth rebuilding, rebuild it and tune it.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 AM
out of order

Do yourself a favor, install a TBI fuel injection system.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174766
Old 08-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
Do yourself a favor, install a TBI fuel injection system.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174766

I am willing to consider it. I went to your link and have seen the cost difference. I would be doing myself a favor because it is more reliable?