International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 07-24-2000, 01:52 PM

Unhappy

I have been puttin off this job for almost a year know, I'm just waiting for the y pipe to get here from parts.com. All of the studs on my exhaust manifolds are rusted so bad that the threads will not hold the pipes in tight contact at the metal to metal seal there. I am going to try to heat them up as hot as I can without removing the manifolds from the engine. Has anyone tried this before and have you got any suggestions.

------------------
Brazzy
Formerly abused 87 G.W. 162k stock
TOW,PKG,727,229,360
THE ROLLING REBUILD
Old 07-26-2000, 12:53 AM

Wink

I had this same problem... tried heating them with the manifolds still on... no luck. Just not enough room to get a good grip/leverage on the studs. After I got the manifolds off I realized why the studs wouldn't come off. They were practically fused to the manifold. I had to take them to a machine shop that had a much hotter torch than mine in order to get them off. Good luck!

------------------
1987 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360/TF727/NP229

All Stock Except:
Edelbrock intake & carb.
MSD 6A
MSD dist. w/var. timing control
Flowmaster Muffler
Old 07-26-2000, 07:37 AM

Wink

I posted a reply to this earlier but it doesn't look like it came through.

Anyway, hopefully your studs are not fused to the manifolds as mine were. I had just finished my engine rebuild and ran into the same problem you are having. I tried heating with the manifolds on, but just didn't have any luck. Not much room to get any decent leverage once you get it hot enough to hopefully break loose. I ended up taking both manifolds off and still had a heck of a time getting the studs out. Had one of the studs break off inside the manifold at which point I decided to take them to a machine shop to get the studs removed (cost about $20). Hope you have better luck getting yours out!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brazzy:
I have been puttin off this job for almost a year know, I'm just waiting for the y pipe to get here from parts.com. All of the studs on my exhaust manifolds are rusted so bad that the threads will not hold the pipes in tight contact at the metal to metal seal there. I am going to try to heat them up as hot as I can without removing the manifolds from the engine. Has anyone tried this before and have you got any suggestions.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
1987 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
AMC 360/TF727/NP229

All Stock Except:
Edelbrock intake & carb.
MSD 6A
MSD dist. w/var. timing control
Flowmaster Muffler
Old 07-27-2000, 05:57 PM
RudyC

Wink

they HAVE to come off the heads. then you soak them in liquid wrench overnight becaose the WILL, WILL, WILL BE FUZED in place and will fight you tooth and nail to come off. use a pipe wrench as visegrips will not work. and do this early on a day that the machine shop is open because you will snap at least one like I did. oh yea buy the new studs first since they are hard to find.