International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 12-06-2003, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bigun:
If I hazzard a guess I would guess if you looked atthe dwell angle the amount of time that the 401 stays at top dead center on the compression stroke you would find that it is longer than that of the 454. I know there was a company in the 80,s that was building longstroke 351 windsor fords with a pretty radical roller cam that had a tork horse power curve that was assume. kind of like the old offy engine that would idil at 400 rpm but wind al the way through 10,000 with a flat tork horsepower curve. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Ahhh, thank you! So there is a replacement for displacement.... cam design The 401 responds exceedingly well (for a "barely acceptable design") to cam build and rest of the motor is suited to the high torque it is capable of as well.</font>[/quote]actully the dwell I am talking about is the amount of time the Piston stays at top dead centerthis allows for a longer and cleaner burn there by extracting more power out of the same amount of fuel and converslygetting more exho aust gas's out and pulling more fuel in but this is just a guess on my part as I am not an engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
The birth of CROM is recorded here
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778
Old 12-06-2003, 03:30 AM
Master Mechanic

Elliott, I'm with ya man! My barely acceptable 78 401 (stock) that I paid 175.00 for the whole rig. Beat a 2001 ford 3/4 v10 just a week ago! And he had a manual trans to boot!
Old 12-06-2003, 04:42 AM

Well How bout a decent cam for that 401? I'm guessing Edlebrock. They are coming out with a set of aluminum Amc heads in a few months for under 500 bucks. I have a dodge dart with a 440 mildy modified motor. That thing screams monster torque and horses at low rpms. It tops out around 6400 rpms @475 horses. I've never raced it but when I get around to it should be in the 11's. I just wanted to know about the 401 because I bought one running for a great price. I'm told they are extremely rare to find, I'm also told that unlike other amc motors, This one if set up right can peak around 7000 rpms plus. That is a lot more rpms than my dart. If that is the case I don't care what any horse power specs or any chilton manual says. That motor is capable of mad horses with the right carb/intake/cam and pistons that and a good balancing job. I guess I'll keep it. Any way how about cam ideas?
75 Jeep J-20 \"the Grunt\" 360,holley 600, edlebrock intake 4\" Trailmaster suspension lift/t18/dana20/dana60/dana44 waggy leather int. 88 Grand wagoneer stock cherry (my wife\'s), 72 wag \"THE RAT\"<br />68 dodge dart GTS 440 fully modifed too much to list\"The Ground Shaker\"
Old 12-06-2003, 06:48 AM

I have another question Did AMC purposely detune engines in jeeps?
75 Jeep J-20 \"the Grunt\" 360,holley 600, edlebrock intake 4\" Trailmaster suspension lift/t18/dana20/dana60/dana44 waggy leather int. 88 Grand wagoneer stock cherry (my wife\'s), 72 wag \"THE RAT\"<br />68 dodge dart GTS 440 fully modifed too much to list\"The Ground Shaker\"
Old 12-06-2003, 08:01 AM
Junk Collector

Yup...all AMC engines came from the factory detuned. ROFLMAO!
Old 12-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbo:
Elliott, I'm with ya man! My barely acceptable 78 401 (stock) that I paid 175.00 for the whole rig. Beat a 2001 ford 3/4 v10 just a week ago! And he had a manual trans to boot!
That "state of the art" Ford only puts out 310hp/425ftlbs, he's going to be heavier too.
Geez, now we have worn out 401's taking V10s Maybe Ford should swap in the Cosworth? pppfffff
Old 12-06-2003, 09:12 AM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGBEARJ20:
Well How bout a decent cam for that 401? I'm guessing Edlebrock. They are coming out with a set of aluminum Amc heads in a few months for under 500 bucks. I have a dodge dart with a 440 mildy modified motor. That thing screams monster torque and horses at low rpms. It tops out around 6400 rpms @475 horses. I've never raced it but when I get around to it should be in the 11's. I just wanted to know about the 401 because I bought one running for a great price. I'm told they are extremely rare to find, I'm also told that unlike other amc motors, This one if set up right can peak around 7000 rpms plus. That is a lot more rpms than my dart. If that is the case I don't care what any horse power specs or any chilton manual says. That motor is capable of mad horses with the right carb/intake/cam and pistons that and a good balancing job. I guess I'll keep it. Any way how about cam ideas?
It will also stay together at 7000 which is a big plus if you are into running on a regular basis. Check out Dave Allen Racing and his 700hp 401 at:
http://www.davidallenracing.com/cherokee.htm
http://www.davidallenracing.com/
I'm sure he'd give you some pointers on getting it set up right. Just bear in mind that these are marginal engines to begin with and that there is no replacement for displacement and you won't be too disapointed with the 600ftlbs of torque.
You can get to 500ftlbs pretty darn easy and even with a performer intake, that's higher then any stock net rating out there... for any of the big blocks I have ratings on.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:44 AM
304 AMC

360/401, able to climb tall buildoings at light speed, 25 mpg.......................aaahhhhhhhh, we do dream.

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed
Old 12-06-2003, 09:45 AM
Junk Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
It will also stay together at 7000 which is a big plus if you are into running on a regular basis.
Yeah...First..you have to get it running....then....
Old 12-06-2003, 09:46 AM
Junk Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by GWDriver:
360/401, able to climb tall buildoings at light speed, 25 mpg.......................aaahhhhhhhh, we do dream.
I think Larry is catching on. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2003, 10:02 AM
304 AMC

Caught on a long time ago, just been listening to all of you guys.........Chuckle.

Still a bit ticked about losing all my previous posts and having to start over again............Oh Well, as I said............we do dream..

I will be needing a new engine in my GW when I get back to the states though. Not sure yet what to put in. Might take awhile though. Doc says old wounds and injuries are coming back to haunt me now. Can't move as fast as I'd like.

Do appreciate all the posts though, Who knows, I might just learn something.

Good Lovin', Good Beer, and a Grand Wagoneer. What more could one want?

1984 Grand Wagoneer My therapy
1988 GMC Suburban soon to be retired. . .SOLD
2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS/LX Wifes DD
2003 Dodge TD 4x4 long bed
Old 12-06-2003, 10:09 AM
Sloppy Shifter

I put on my rubber pants, may ass is smaller, and I now have stitches in my side......... Doc asked if I was playing CRANIUM he has seen advertised on TV.............NO DOC, I read this! I hand him a printed copy of this topic. He has turned it over to some other Guys that have couches in their offices, several of you now have apointments! LOL.
If one feels adequate doing more with less....GREAT!! as long as she is.............. Nope I asked........I was told there IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR DISPLACEMENT!!! Imagine that!!
Old 12-06-2003, 10:36 AM

Cray_jeep man,
I asked the qwestion about putting a caddy 500 in a FSJ. Have you taken any measurements to see if it will fit. I have read some impressive stats on the big block caddy's
Old 12-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
Originally posted by honcho 77:
Cray_jeep man,
I asked the qwestion about putting a caddy 500 in a FSJ. Have you taken any measurements to see if it will fit. I have read some impressive stats on the big block caddy's
Yes it will fit rather easily, the 500 is not much bigger than the AMC V8. Here is one member that did it in a J Truck Marc's Caddy Powered J Truck I also have a lot of Pics and Measurements and mounts, when I fitted a 500 into a Wagoneer. However that was just to get the position right and with a different drivetrain. Caddy 500 TH400 NP205. If its something that interests you feel free to email me with any questions.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally posted by honcho 77:
Cray_jeep man,
Stay away from the '75-'76 which only had 180hp, some motor thatn' fo' sure.
Hey, did they put forged rods and cranks in those Caddy's?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Junk Collector

I always assumed that AMC added the forged parts in order to lessen the damage caused by spun bearings. Probably helps with the thrust bearing grooving problem too.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Sloppy Shifter

Why stay away from the 75 and 76? News to me. You mean my 76 Caddy 500 is JUNK? How come. What is the differance from the 74? Do you know? All engines need a Forged Crank and Rods? Hmmmm Wish I had consulted with Elliott seems he knows everything about everything. Mistakenly, I instead called Courteny Hines 28 years Caddy Wrenchin and with a 4500 LB Class car running 10's and Al Becker another Caddy Junkie owner of MTS and earned some of my $$$$ for his services and parts, advice more geared to what I wanted. Courteny seemed to want my Jeep to Fly and I was not needing it to do that, though he knows how to do it I am sure. When I was deciding the Caddy swap I thought they would have the info and advice I would need to decide to swap a Caddy in. Gees I even bought Doc Frohmader's book Big Inch Cadillac Another mistake? Dam from now on I will consult with ELLIOTT!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

This is getting funnier by the post. [img]smile.gif[/img]
#1881 just for the record.
FSJeepless for a short time.
Need a J10 tho.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Cowboy Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
Why stay away from the 75 and 76? News to me. You mean my 76 Caddy 500 is JUNK? How come. What is the differance from the 74? Do you know? All engines need a Forged Crank and Rods? Hmmmm Wish I had consulted with Elliott seems he knows everything about everything. Mistakenly, I instead called Courteny Hines 28 years Caddy Wrenchin and with a 4500 LB Class car running 10's and Al Becker another Caddy Junkie owner of MTS and earned some of my $$$$ for his services and parts, advice more geared to what I wanted. Courteny seemed to want my Jeep to Fly and I was not needing it to do that, though he knows how to do it I am sure. When I was deciding the Caddy swap I thought they would have the info and advice I would need to decide to swap a Caddy in. Gees I even bought Doc Frohmader's book Big Inch Cadillac Another mistake? Dam from now on I will consult with ELLIOTT!
You should I guess, I read it on a Caddy build site. Ought to look it up for yourself if yer so darn sure of the '75-'76 Caddy, evidently not and ain't been advised either. Hmmm, read up then you'll know I guess. I can't explain what you don't know, I don't know much either, but... stay away from the '75-'76 Caddy 'cause like the man said "it's junk"... like the 454 and a lot of the (not all of the) big block fantasy.
Remember how so awesome bad that 455 was for all those years.... until they looked at the Gross numbers through reality... Net.
I don't really think you can build the 401 to the max torque some of the big blocks make, but it'll match or outdo some bone stock and tie most of the others up to probably 600ftlbs and after that what difference is it going to make in YOUR Jeep?
Don't just whine about what you don't know about the Caddy, look it up.
BTW, you didn't answer me if the Caddy used forged crank and rods stock... that was a serious question. I know the 440 did, or at least the crank in that'n. Maybe you don't know?
Dare I ask what year your Caddy is, do you know, or did you just pull the first one you found?
Oh, there, read back and you did buy a '76. Hmmm, guess that explains some attitude.... don't worry, it was probably mostly in the smog heads and cam, shouldn't cost too much more then a rebuild on a 401 to straighten out. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ December 06, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Elliott ]
Old 12-06-2003, 03:05 PM
All Makes Combined

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/P.../Engineid.html

-GASP!- If that chart is true, why the low HP and torque, even for NET ratings???? I don't know much about engines, but that does seem a bit low?!

The Southern California FSJ forum