International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 09-11-2000, 04:08 AM
Bryan Niese

Wink

Got a chance to really use 4 low on my 1988 GW this weekend (attempted to pull a medium duty International & w/a flatbed that was high centered) although I was unable to even budge the truck, I noticed that when I really jumped on it in low range it would make a horrible grinding sound for about 2 seconds then it would stop. It doesnt do it in neutral or in 4 or 2 high. After poking around under the hood for a while, I noticed that the fan shroud on the upper left side (passenger side) was partly shredded, then I noticed that the tips of the fan blades had scrape marks and were bent. My first thought was the motor mounts but they appear to be in excellent shape. Can this thing produce enough torque in low range to cause the engine to twist that much? Or should I just assume motor mounts even though visually they appear ok.

------------------
Donzi
1988 GW
Totally Stock
Old 09-11-2000, 04:12 AM
Master Mechanic

Wink

Yes I think that there is enough power on these very heavy vehicles to even snap off a motor mount or worse.. (in 4 low)

------------------
88 Grand Wagoneer
D44's front\rear
Warn 20990 Lockouts
AMC 360
TF 727
NP 229 (Funky)
Custom Hacking Via S.P.A. (Standard Polish Archetecture)
Old 09-11-2000, 06:19 AM

Wink

I pulled an 84 GW with my 88 GW this weekend. Went up a really steep hill from a dead stop in 4 low. I had no problems at all.

Make sure that the fan shroud is secured on the radiator, and that it is centered on it. I've seen a fan shrouds that have broken where they bolt on to the radiator causing them to sag and touch the fan.
Old 09-11-2000, 10:57 AM
AcelaTech

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JERRY88GW:
I pulled an 84 GW with my 88 GW this weekend. Went up a really steep hill from a dead stop in 4 low. I had no problems at all.

Make sure that the fan shroud is secured on the radiator, and that it is centered on it. I've seen a fan shrouds that have broken where they bolt on to the radiator causing them to sag and touch the fan.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jerry...Glad to see ya got the 84GW home..sorry I couldn't help with the trailer..hope ya didn't have any problems?

Old 09-11-2000, 04:16 PM

Wink

a broken motor mount may not really look broken. a buddy of mine just got new rubber ones for his 79 for about $13 each.i think its cheap enough that id go ahead and replace them,just for peace of mind. when i first got my amc eagle,it took me alot longer than it should have to figure out that the driver side mount was broken-the metal had completely seperatd from rubber. when it was sitting on the mount,it looked just fine. fnally i was watching the engine while someone revved it in gear,and actually saw the engine twist over toward the passenger side! definately not good. my 258 mounts were dirt cheap-about 5 or 6.99 at the 'Zone. on my grand wag ive got new rubber mounts and chains on each side of the engine. this may be overkill,but i didnt want to part with the $$$ for poly,and it spends most of its time in 4lo.

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258 with motorcraft 2bbl/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/welded amc 20
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd

possible small block chevy "test" swap in near future