International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Master Mechanic

I didn't know they made Cherokees in that kin of condition. AMAZING starting point. Wow.

Chief for sale - contact via PM if interested.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Progressing Well

Looks like your getting to the meat of it.
1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Grease Monkey

Great truck to start with, but we really need more pictures.
What someone had to say it.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Grease Monkey

I love the full restorations!!!
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1981 Jeep Scrambler Laredo CJ8 (sold)
2000 Jeep Wrangle TJ Sahara (sold)
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Master Mechanic

Jared and I pulled the motor and tranny. I thing I know is I will not be reusing those 12 point, crappy, whatever they call u-joint strap bolts. Jeez

The transmission has a Jasper sticker, seems it may be a replacement from the previous owner. Jared helping pull it. Trans and TC going to the shop to be freshened up.

Everything else was removed. I found a good local supplier for abrasives and supplies (F&S Equipment). Tried a bag of the course Black Beauty and worked to dial in the sandblaster. I hope Jared can finish the frame during spring break. It worked well so far. Funny how the flash turned the sand white.

Motor is on stand as I plot a plan for it. A buddy has a good engine builder for me. I would love to let Jared actually help me build the motor but I want this thing to be perfect and have a useful life. We will tear it down and all and visit the machine shop to watch though.

....and what would a rebuild be without a shop dog hanging out and helping.

'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Grease Monkey

This is how memories are made. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM

how did that sandblaster work and what kind of compressor do you have running it? im thinking about buying one but dont know anyone who has tried it.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Master Mechanic

Cool project. I cant wait to do one with my daughter some day
Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
BJ's Off-Road

very cool project, and even better that you're tackling it with your boy
Old 03-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Grease Monkey

hands down..without a doubt...BEST THREAD IVE SEEN ON IFSJA..
THIS IS THE KINDA OF THING AMERICA NEEDS MORE OF!!
"10-4 rubber duck"
"In GOD we trust..all others pay cash"
-mat. 21:42-
Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBoomenstien
how did that sandblaster work and what kind of compressor do you have running it? im thinking about buying one but dont know anyone who has tried it.

I bought that sandblaster at Harbour Freight probably 10 years ago. This is the third project using it and he has done well. The first two projects I was using a 5hp portable compressor and it did ok but put to much pressure on the compressor. I now have a IR 20HP 35cfm compressor and the blaster works great. It can be a hassle getting everything dialed in just right bu once you do it works really good.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Master Mechanic

I have not updated in a while. Progress takes a back seat to baseball, wife, band, golf, and work. Not necessarily in that order..lol.

The sand basting has been completed on most all hard parts and frame. All hard parts for replacement are in stock, save for a few odds and ends.

We cleaned the frame well and then applied the after blast product from eastwood. I think it may end up working really good. You can see the color difference below. It really cleans and etches the frame well.

We did the same for the diffs, brake parts, spring hangers, u-bolts, calipers, shields, etc. All will get primer and top coat same as the frame. We are using the Eastwood extreme chassis primer and chassis blaxk satin products. I have used Por on my previous restore and was happy but wanted to try something different. The frame came out well.

I will get some pics of the hard parts and diffs next update.

I am glad this part is done. Now we at least get to start rebuilding something. Next step is to put on the springs and diffs. Then start reassembling the axles, ujoints, and brakes and getting back to a rolling chassis. With baseball over, and the boys out for summer I expect to progress a little quicker....maybe.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBoomenstien

To update you....the blaster is still going strong. I originally went with the fine black beauty media and had continous clogging issues. I switch to the xfine and it is blasting like a champ. That media change made all the difference in the world!
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Master Mechanic

We finally where able to get some more work done. This is the part I enjoy; putting things together.

We finished the frame and attached the diffs. We are putting a 2" lift on it. I did that prior to starting the project and I liked the stance. Like mentioned before, if he wants to go wheeling he has several other options.

As can be seen, the diff slide off the jack and pushed a dent in it. Heck, those things must be recycled pie tins. It barely fell. I will look at it and see if I can fix it. If not then decide do I go with something more study? He is a kid after all and I don't want to take a midnight trip to the woods because he hit a rock or stump. If someone has a stock AMC 20 cover let me know I may want to buy it.

The internal gears all looked good so I don't have to do anything there. It has 3.31 gears. I have not decided everything I am doing to the motor, so I am holding off on gears. I want best mileage, great torque, moderate speed/quickness and smooth sailing.....not much to ask for..LOL. I may get the seals and all replaced anyway but they looked good and I have no leaks.

This is the next step. We are prepping hard parts. We will complete front and rear axles; Axle seals and bearings, new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, brake parts, rotors, same calipers, new pads, bushings, and ball joints. The hubs were fine so we will just rebuild those. Jared gets to do ball joints. He may learn a few cuss words with that job! He should get some good experience with brakes too. That alone will save him tons of money over the years!

So far, I think we are into it for about $1500.00, including bushings, front end parts like tie rods, new brake lines, hitch, etc. That isn't bad for a new and complete rolling chassis. I am doing my part to help the economy. At this rate the guys at BJ's won't have any problem buying the kids a new pair of shoes come winter.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Last edited by CJ5 : 06-24-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
350 Buick

Nice Father/Son project.....
Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Murphy's Law Poster Child

Awesome Jeep! That frame is clean enough to eat off of!

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Old 06-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Master Mechanic

Thanks! We are making some headway on this part of the project. We have not touched the body yet and I anticipate that is where we will get clogged down. There is just a ton of body panels to sand and get ready for paint. The good news is there is not much by the way of body work to be done.

Like I mentioned, I still have to determine what all I am going to do to the motor. I have the Tranny and TC at the shop getting refreshed so that much of the drive train is done.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Master Mechanic

We are making progress. The rear axles are in, backing plate and wheel cylinders. I am waiting to finish the brakes with Jared. We didn't have any issues pressing the old bearings off and the new ones on.

Rear end buttoned up. I am debating a lunchbox locker for the rear but will deal with that later. A buddy owns a shop and we will decide when I send it for the exhaust.

We got the ball joints pressed in no problem, but we had an issue with a mismatched split ring seal so we could not install the knuckles.

Axles ujoints are in and ready to install once we get the knuckles installed.

We have the calipers, drums and rotors ready. We did paint using high temp paint and will clean all machined surfaces prior to install.

Once we get the ball joint issue resovled we can finish up front axles and button it up. We have the steering linkage, sway bar, spindles and rear brake parts prepped and ready to install.

We are awaiting the replacement brake lines to finish the brakes. Then we can blast the gas tank coffin and prep the tank and it get ready to install. While we wait for the final parts to arrive, we are going to start prepping the wiring harness than runs the length of the frame to the rear.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Last edited by CJ5 : 07-08-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Master Mechanic

That's some quality work! I love to see FSJs get full restorations, I don't know why people are complaining so much. Plus you get some good father/son time...I wish my dad were handy but at least my grandpa is.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."
Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 PM

Awsome, just awsome

Do you need another son? One that can go to the Quikie Mart and buy the beer? One that will bring his own truck to the restoration party?

On a serious note, I'd always thought that if I ever did a frame off resto that I'd Line-X/Rhino Line the entire frame and under body.

I'm just curious, did you think about doing that?

If so, what made you decide not to? If it's a good reason, you might help me save some $$ in the future.

MSD 35859 8.5MM
MSD-6425 6AL DIGITAL BOX
MSD-8227 COIL
MSD-8414 CAP-A-DAPT
MSD-8869 ADAPT HARNESS
Edle 2132 Cam
Edle 1406 Carburetor
Edle Perf RPM Intake Manifold
Flex-A-Lite Variable Speed Fan Control
Dual Elec Fans