International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 10-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Master Mechanic

Sorry, guys about the final update. I have been working on getting all of the bugs out and didn't want to do a final update until it was really finished.

The motor is strong and have no issues except fine tuning. I have a spreadsheet started and noting all changes and results. I am trying to get it perfect. I have changed jets, rods, mixture, etc. At the same time, I am noting mpg and what each change has done there. I have not touched the timing but will be doing that also. We have been driving it everyday since we picked it up from the shop. I just wanted to tinker with it more to get it perfect. I am almost there. It is running smooth and is at 10.3mpg. I think with some timing adjustment I can get a little more quickness and a little more MPG. I can live with anything above 10.

I had issues with the AC switches. First was the thermostat, then the fan. I waited on some used parts only to find the fan switch was different. I installed a new thermostat switch. The fan switch will only blow on high so until I can find a rheostat that will work I will have to live with it. The drain nipple was broke and it appears my fix didn't work so I am trying to find a solution for that so the water doesn't leak onto the carpet.

Dash LED strip has shorted somewhere. Not sure how or where. I have to removed the instrument panel to fix. Of course that means taking the steering wheel lose enough to drop it some. This is unfixed as of yet.

I had a issue with the alt. but that turned out to be a bad crimp on a wire. Other than electrical is fine and show no issues except the cheap arse loom as shown signs for degrading in high heat areas.

My windshield is leaking at the passenger bottom corner. Same place it was before the rebuild. I am looking for solutions there but have made some stop gap measures to keep the carpet dry. Gasket problem likely.

The brakes were not as good as they needed to be for a 16 yo driver and I worked on those. I found I had one side of shoes in wrong and fixed that. I replaced the master cylinder. The one I originally put on there never did seem like the right one to me. Then because of such low vacuum, I replaced the booster to a dual diaphragm and that made the biggest difference. I did not want to mess with hydro.

Last night I had to go back in the door and replace the clip for the regulator. I should have did the retro fix on the doors and didn't. I did do it for the tailgate. If I have to go back in there I will pull the regulators and upgrade.

I have one slight oil leak around the filter. It appears to be the lower piece on the oil pump assembly around the pressure spring. I think I can remove it and just put another gasket or sealer without getting into a big deal. Only leak so far.

Other than those and a few odd issues it has been about as expect. I knew there would be some odd and ends.

Oh....he cut it too close getting in the garage and scraped the rear fender flair against the bricks. I have to sand, bondo and repaint it.
'91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Last edited by CJ5 : 10-07-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 PM
304 AMC

That is his truck now, have him do it with you and tell him "this is the last time I help, it's your now." Great to hear the final report, seems like a long way off to me right now.

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 10-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Hack-Priss

Sounds grand Sir,

Please post some pictures of the rolling Cherokee, I know that you want to have it all complete, but people are hanging waiting for them!

Pictures will not show that the timing is off by 1/2 degree!

Again Sir, Salute, job well done.

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHSII
Sounds grand Sir,

Please post some pictures of the rolling Cherokee, I know that you want to have it all complete, but people are hanging waiting for them!

Pictures will not show that the timing is off by 1/2 degree!

Again Sir, Salute, job well done.

What he said!
'82 CJ-8 Scrambler
Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 AM
232 I6

I just read through this again. It is one of the most detailed rebuilds here. Outstanding. Can you post the completed photos for us?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Grease Monkey

Any update on this build? I would love to see the finished product!
'82 CJ-8 Scrambler