International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-17-2001, 03:12 PM

Question

I'm trying to resurrect a 67 Gladiator with a 1970 232 (Hoo-Ah 1 barrel!). I've replaced all electrical, and it will run now, but only with the gas held halfway to the floor. My first concern at the moment (or my second counting lack of time to work on it) is that it rather sounds like a lawnmower, and I'm thinking that one or more of my cylinders are either not firing or are frozen / otherwise inoperable. My first question is how can I determine what is and is not happening in each individual chamber. My second question is sad: how do I start and run the motor from under the hood as opposed to in the cab? It's sad because I've done this before, but it's years since my last Jeep, and I've forgotten.

Thank you very much
Old 06-17-2001, 03:21 PM

For the second question, if its ford setup like later fsj's with the solinoid on the passenger fender. you turn the keyy to on, then have a screw driver and cross the front two post. Make sure its insulated, becausse you will get a nice xzap if it isnt. I had to start my mustang like this for a while when my neutral start switch went out. Just dont leave your key on for to long, because you can burn stuff up.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
1975 Cherokee
360 w/ Edelbrock Performer Intake and Carb
T18a
Spicer 20 T-Case
Dana44 w/3.54 Gears[/list]
Old 06-17-2001, 04:09 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I would suggest checking the timing to see where it is at. Has the carb been rebuilt??

Kerry

------------------
87 GW - Stock (but it looks like RiverBeast when I'm sleeping)
TFI upgrade
360,727,NP229
Old 06-17-2001, 10:29 PM
Gear Head

You say that you changed all the wiring. Did you do a tune-up? I.E. plugs, plug wires, dist. cap, rotor etc.? I would start there and then move on to putting a timing light on it and see where it's set at. Then I would worry about the carb. Sounds like your carb needs a rebuild. Start with the tune-up and it will get you going I believe.

------------------
'78 Chief 360/quadra-trac
D-44 f&r/3.55 r&p/31x10.5x15 G/Year Mt's
dual exhaust
Mallory Unilite Dist.
Edelbrock 4bbl 1405 carb
lined gas tank
free rust/new body soon
Old 06-18-2001, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the responses.
I replaced rotor, cap, wires, plugs, and coil, but I can't check timing, because it's as yet unwilling to run without my assistance on the gas pedal.
As far as the carb goes, it needs replacement (preferably with a 2 barrel if I can find a match), but it was running reliably when it was parked in '96. ???
Also, WRT Stuka's reply, I have the simple relay (it's 34 y/o).
Thanks again
G
Old 06-18-2001, 03:38 PM
304 AMC

For whatever reason AMC calls the starter relay a solenoid. I assume thas cause internally there is a solenoid in it. Same idea anyway. Jump the hot from the battery to the heavy wire going down to the starter.

To keep it going while you tinker with it, try turning the throttle speed adjustment in a whole lot.

Did you clean the carb? Old gas turns into a sticky varnish - messes up all the little air and gas passages.

Think a cyl. is dead? 1. You can pull off spark plug wires one by one. 2. You can remove the plugs and look to see if they give you a clue. 3. Do a compression test.

and
Be greatful its a pre-emmissions vehicle
life will be much simpler!

------------------
360 727auto-trany, NP229
body by beer (PO)
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside

My other car is a fish
Old 06-19-2001, 04:09 AM

I have the same problem with my jeep...it started about three days ago. At first it was having trouble starting, I had to hold the pedal to the floor until it cranked. After it cranked it would run fine. I cleaned the battery posts and terminals thinking that was the problem. It didn't help and then it started running like crap. It runs but it sounds like its missing and its running really rich. If I don't keep the pedal pushed down halfway it will stall out. My question is can the timing jump off that much without warning? I checked all the wires to the plugs and they're good. The plugs and wires are less than 6 months old. The carb was rebuilt by holley and I put it on about 7 months ago. Can the carb idle jump off that much to make it run like this? I don't know that much about the timing so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

------------------

Charlie Nimitz
'77 Cherokee Chief W/T
360/TH-400,
QT w/low range
31" x 10.50" General Grabbers

My FSJ page
Old 06-19-2001, 11:59 AM

AMC doesnt use a starter with the solinoid on the starter. There is only one wire going to it (GM's have 3, one power, and one for each side of the solinoid) AMC uses a ford starter. The starter on the 360 will also fit a Ford 460. (or at least the one on my 75 does)

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
1975 Cherokee
360 w/ Edelbrock Performer Intake and Carb
T18a
Spicer 20 T-Case
Dana44 w/3.54 Gears[/list]