• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pineymike
    327 Rambler
    • Feb 22, 2008

big lug nut studs

After breaking lug studs on several FSJ's I went searching for a cure?I don't know if anyone else has addressed this problem but it seams simple I went to"my guy" at a localy owned auto parts store handed him a stock stud and asked for a larger one that fits the same hole! heres dorman product part #610-073 should be available any where it fits rite into the front hub the rear flange needs to be drilled out as there even smaller on the rear!
  • jamesdart
    258 I6
    • Jan 05, 2013

what are they, 1/2"?
    1978 wagoneer, jasper 360 performer intake holley 600,700r4, twinstick dana 300, dana 44s with 4.10s and Yukon zip locker, York oba, 4" rusty's spring lift, 33x10.50 km2, ramsey ford front bumper with worm drive ramsey winch, 4" pipe air tank rear bumper with spare tire swing out.

Comment

• pineymike
      327 Rambler
      • Feb 22, 2008

I think so I'll be measuring them tomorrow to see what size drillbit to use on the rear.

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

WOW that's cool I never have broken one.

How are they breaking? Just driving down the road tightening. What are you tourqing them to?

Are you modifying the wheel? Do you have to?
        Last edited by serehill; 08-25-2013, 07:38 PM.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by pineymike
          After breaking lug studs on several FSJ's I went searching for a cure?I don't know if anyone else has addressed this problem but it seams simple I went to"my guy" at a localy owned auto parts store handed him a stock stud and asked for a larger one that fits the same hole!
          Seriously you're consistently are breaking lug bolts???? Is "your guy" the same guy that sold you the wheel spacers or the totally inappropriate wheels for your car?
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

LOL

I was kind of leaning in the same direction.
            I've never broken one.
            I had a nephew with a ford F-250 that lost several wheels off of his truck he went through a ton of scenarios & then he had a wheel fall off a few hundred miles from home. The mechanics that repaired it told him to fire who ever his wheel guy was. There had only been one which was a tire chain. They were torqueing his wheels to 160 lbs. & stressing the studs. That was 4 years ago & he hasn't broken one since. With the same wheels.

That's exactly what I was thinking that or magic adaptors.

Make sure you modify the wheels.
            Last edited by serehill; 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• grandjeeper
              232 I6
              • Mar 06, 2008

Too much preload, too much shear, or both

Are they breaking while tightening or during use?

If while tightening, then either from significant over-torquing with dry threads, or from using standard torque values with lubricated threads.

If breaking during use, already mentioned were spacers and wheel choice.

Are there other possible causes?
              1962 Willys Station Wagon
              1989 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• arter
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 07, 2001

My right rear lugs sheared off driving down the road, 40 mph or so. AL Centerline 15x10 wheels with 35x12.5 Radial Swampers. Hand tightened with 1/2" ratchet. Checking lugs around the truck found another couple loose. Now I check them before any road trip.
                M715NT; TBI 401, 400, 1339, 44's, 4.10's, ARB's, 35's, wag frame

Comment

• mdill
                  Gone. Not Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2000

Originally posted by arter
                  My right rear lugs sheared off driving down the road, 40 mph or so. AL Centerline 15x10 wheels with 35x12.5 Radial Swampers. Hand tightened with 1/2" ratchet. Checking lugs around the truck found another couple loose. Now I check them before any road trip.
                  On alloy wheels there is no nut locking dimple like on factory steel wheels, your nuts are coming loose allowing the studs to flex -> work harden -> snap.
                  Torque the lugs, take a short spin (round the block) torque them again,
                  drive for a day or so torque again .. repeat until you don't get any change when torqueing (same setting each time on the torque wrench), then check every once in while.
                  The aftermarket flat face nut setups always seem to be a pain, the factory cone style pretty much stay put, steel wheels (with the locking dimples) do even better.

Larger lugs are not the solution from your description of the problem i.e. "Checking lugs around the truck found another couple loose."
                  Last edited by mdill; 08-27-2013, 06:17 PM.
                  -----------------------------------------
                  Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                  1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                  1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                  1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                  1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                  And the other stuff that gets driven
                  ----------------------------------------

Comment

• pineymike
                    327 Rambler
                    • Feb 22, 2008

BIGGER IS BETTER

Youse guys are rite! my Cherokee is highly modified! and I wheel it hard&drive the Heck out of it on the road,Maby I should have posted this in another area? on any other type of "performance" car sooner or later you end up with larger lugs,axles ect...Somewhere on here I red if your not improveing it why bother,bigger is better heck some guys have eight lugs on there FSJ's and all eight are bigger than my "big ones".I have another FSJ that's all stock with stock size tires & aftermarket wheels that has never broken any lugstuds,I like wide wheels 10" or better they put extra strain on the whole drive train but that's what I like isn't that what this "hobby" is all about? When I think of a modification I would like to do I come here first most of the time some one has already done it & I learn a lot I searched here and couldn't find any thing on the bigger lug stud idea I figured it out on my own I thought I would post the findings here & give back some,I have owned several FSJ's starting in 1975 with a 1971 wagoneer I now have 2 on the road and several project/parts FSJ's.I have also owned several different vehicles modified for offroad use and broken studs on many of them. Many after market wheels are not hub centric and therefore rely on the lugs to support the vehicle which can result in broken studs when pushed hard,I personaly have never used wheel spacers/adaptors magic or regular? and wouldn't even though the quality of todays products is very good.I think bigger lugstuds are a good idea for any modified FSJ but would not go through the trouble on a stocker.Thanks for the positive comments.

Comment

• jamesdart
                      258 I6
                      • Jan 05, 2013

have to test it out and see if they are up to the task.
                      1978 wagoneer, jasper 360 performer intake holley 600,700r4, twinstick dana 300, dana 44s with 4.10s and Yukon zip locker, York oba, 4" rusty's spring lift, 33x10.50 km2, ramsey ford front bumper with worm drive ramsey winch, 4" pipe air tank rear bumper with spare tire swing out.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                        Cherokee Outlaw
                        • Jan 10, 2006

Sounds like it's time to dump the puny 6 lug axles for some 8 lug 3/4 tons...
                        -Jonny B.
                        1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                        7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                        AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                        NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                        F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                        R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                        1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                        1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                        1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• serehill
                          Gone,Never Forgotten.
                          • Nov 22, 2009

Good Luck

Hope that gets ya going then.

80 Cherokee
                          360 ci 727 with
                          Comp cams 270 h
                          NP208
                          Holley 4180
                          Msd total multi spark.
                          4" rusty's springs

Comment

• mdill
                            Gone. Not Forgotten.
                            • Nov 22, 2000

X2, lots of 1/2 ton 44's have been run well past their limit with the stock studs.

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                            Sounds like it's time to dump the puny 6 lug axles for some 8 lug 3/4 tons...
                            -----------------------------------------
                            Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                            1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                            1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                            1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                            1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                            And the other stuff that gets driven
                            ----------------------------------------

Comment

• pineymike
                              327 Rambler
                              • Feb 22, 2008

Rear

So I finial got to do the rear studs,Between the rain drops I drilled out the axle flange with a 17/32 bit being larger than 1/2 I was forced to use my monster drill motor!Then a little hamer&a little tightin' a there you go big studs (Only for those who like them!)

Comment

Working...
                              X