International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-22-2005, 06:30 AM

When I start my wag from cold (78, 360ci), gauge reads 60 psi at idle. Then as it warms up, drops to 40 while driving. After a while (30 minutes), when I am driving around town and come to a stop light, gauge steadily drops unitl below 0psi. Once I begin moving, it comes back up between 20-40. In Park, it will come up some as well. Highway readings are ok, just around town that it drops all the way down. I would think if I had no oil pressure for real, I would find out in a hurry. But these readings have been consistent for months, and I hear no change in the engine when the psi drops. The truck runs really well for having x39,000 miles (no idea of history). Faulty gauge? Sender?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:51 AM
FSJ Maniac

You should hook up a good quality mechanical gauge if you haven't done so already. It shouldn't drop to zero. Normal pressure is 13 psi at idle according to the manual (and my mechanical gauge). My J10 motor has over 160k on it and it idles around 11 psi using 10w-30. I don't hear any expensive noises or such either. and at cold startup, it shoots to 60 also and gradually drops to around 30 when cruising around off idle. I've had these readings for the last 3 years.
'69 Super Wagoneer
'75 J10
'79 Cherokee S WT
'75 Cherokee
'61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer
Old 12-23-2005, 05:35 AM
Master Mechanic

Check it with another gauge. If it really is dropping to zero at idle in gear you probably have 139Kmiles on the motor. That is characteristic of a 360's end of life. Idle oil pressure fades away as bearing clearances open up. Finally a bearing somewhere will fall apart. Mine made it 157Kmiles with low oil pressure for the last 25k or so.

87 GW, B.J.s 4" lift, 3.92s, ARBs f&r, 32-11.50-15s BFG ATs, Eldebrock Performer/Holley 4160 4bbl, Thorley headers, Z&M HEI, Flowmaster 70 Series, just about everything mechanical rebuilt.

Other drivers: 06 Sequoia, 82 Avanti, 77 Bronco, 78 C-10 Custom Flatbed, 96 XJ-wife's
Old 12-23-2005, 06:07 AM

Mine does the same thing.

I was wondering about it too, I guess I won't worry about it.

Balming
MOLON LABE!!!<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>1978 Cherokee Chief \"S\" WideTrack 2-door<BR>360, QT-th400<BR>All original, fully loaded with -EVERYTHING- that you could get extra in 78.<BR>Built like a !&%#$@&! tank!<BR>(vibrates like h.e.l.l. too)
Old 12-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Roadside Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Balming:
Mine does the same thing.

I was wondering about it too, I guess I won't worry about it.

Balming
You actually SHOULD be concerned, and should verify that it is the electric gauge or its sender, and not something more serious. At least put on a temporary direct-reading gauge to make sure that's all it turned out to be. I personally won't take responsibility for operating a vehicle that does not have a direct reading oil gauge. The electric ones are just dashboard decorations.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

My J10 had very similar oil pressure readings for several years. Since I was (still am) running a cheap junkyard motor in it, I didn't worry too much about the gauge readings. Eventually, I decided to fix an oil leak that dripped down on the front axle. Leak was coming from oil sending unit. Replaced unit, and now I'm at 40psi oil pressure when cruising at operating temp.

1977 J10, shortbed, 360, T18a 4-speed, D20, 32\" A/T tires, Warn hubs - Forest Service Green