International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 01-03-2007, 10:23 PM
johnwaynejeep2

Bumper fab tips needed

I'm building my bumper and I need some fab tips from the experts. The problem is the angle at the front of the grill (I call it the beak). I cut my bumper in half and now I'm trying to fit it to this angle before I re-weld it but I'm not sure how to accurately match the angle. I don't have any tools for measuring angles.

I'm using 5 inch "C" channel for the bumper. I'm using 1/4 plate steel for the mounts bolted to the stock mounting holes in the frame. I cut the "C" channel into 2 equal sections but I can't hold the pieces stable enough to match the anlge of the beak. Even if I could I'm only eyeballing the bumper and this is not always accurate of course. My buddy suggested pounding a strip of sheet metal to the angle of the beak and then using that as a guide when I weld my bumper back together. It sounds good but I wanted to get some other opinions.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM
FSJ Maniac

use cardboard flat and draw the V shape on it and match it up then sit the C channel on the cadboard.

In to Turbo crap now
Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM
johnwaynejeep2

Thats so simple it's just crazy enough to work.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Gear Head

Or, you could just take your bumper cross beam into a metal shop and have them bend it to the angle you want for something like $25 or so...
One less miter that could fail especially if youre using MIG or stick. "C" channel is fine, but why? I'll be looking at some 2x6 steel square tube. Additional cost is VERY negligible, but WAY stronger for this application. Rent a plasma cutter and place a hitch receiver for a multi-mount, and add some shackle tabs on there. Priced it all out a few days ago. About $60 in materials total.

Last edited by Kaiser : 01-04-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 AM
304 AMC

Take two pieces of your 1/4 over lap the ends and drill and bolt them together.After you have them snug you can match them to the angle and tighten them up the rest of the way and hold it place aginst the bumper.You could also tac it in place on the bumper weld the 2 halfs together then remove it after you're welded.
33"BFG KM2's on black spokes
Tadrack
Interior upgraded,Durango console, custom gauge panel,bucket seats
Soa,with 1" shackle up front
Hood vents
Old 01-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Gear Head

I am no fabricator, but somethink i was thinking about was taping some thread and a nail and dropping it from the areas you want to match. Then just line up your metal underneath and tack it together. Of course you have to be level on the car and the ground, but it seems correct. Again, i am just a computer nerd, no skills yet!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:50 AM

best tips i've found is drink enough to get your creative juices flowing and your senses dull enough to not feel pain. next, never weld without a hood and third, when it's late and you screw up stop everything and start again tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun2mo
I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny019
I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecherokee
best tips i've found is drink enough to get your creative juices flowing and your senses dull enough to not feel pain. next, never weld without a hood and third, when it's late and you screw up stop everything and start again tomorrow.
best advice I've heard around here in a while
Old 01-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Grease Monkey

Get an angle finder at walmart or a lumber yard (they look like a big dull knife). The angle finders are real cheep. Use it to match the shape you want for your bumper. Then measure the distance of the opening on your angle finder, take that number half it (divide by 2) set your finder to that measurement and mark your ends.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 AM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecherokee

All of these can and should be done at the same time too!

Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Grease Monkey

thanks for the pic brutus....reminded me of when i was young(er)
'79 J-10 360ci,t400,D300, SOA-D60w/ARB, 14B w/Detroit,4:56s, 37" TRXUS
'06 Ford F250 super duty crew cab
Old 01-04-2007, 11:53 AM

But when you stop and start over the next day, beating the thing back apart with the BFH is a PITA with the hangover

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:23 PM

yeah it does suck but if you can remember what you did wrong then hopefully you won't make the same mistake twice. this happened to us building the cage. it got around 3am the second night and we spent time trying to accurately bend a piece of tube only to overbend it and screw the whole piece up. wasted time and materials.

we threw it down and walked out.

Quote:
I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
Quote:
I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Master Mechanic

10°

’86 J20
SOA, Dana 60's, F/R Lockers
Full High Steer, Ram Assist
Bunch of Other Stuff
Old 01-04-2007, 07:08 PM
johnwaynejeep2

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscacha
10°

It's funny you should say that, cause I've been estimating the angle to be around 10°.

I got it worked out. I used the cardboard method and it worked really well. My bumper is exactly the anlge I want it to be at. Now I just need someone to hold the bumper in place over the mounts while I tac the mounts in place.

Did I mention I got laughed at?

I tried to weld the bumper myself and after about an hour of welding, grinding, thinking, welding, grinding thinking and finally more welding. I decided that the material was too thick and my welding skills were too bad for this. I took the bumper in to a welder and he started laughing when he saw the weld that I attempted. He showed me what I did wrong, let me watch him weld it correctly and only charged me $30. Cool guy, good sense of humor.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Grease Monkey

I don't think you drank enough before you started
360/727/sadly a 229 for now
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Gear Head

So what did you do wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwaynejeep2
It's funny you should say that, cause I've been estimating the angle to be around 10°.

I got it worked out. I used the cardboard method and it worked really well. My bumper is exactly the anlge I want it to be at. Now I just need someone to hold the bumper in place over the mounts while I tac the mounts in place.

Did I mention I got laughed at?

I tried to weld the bumper myself and after about an hour of welding, grinding, thinking, welding, grinding thinking and finally more welding. I decided that the material was too thick and my welding skills were too bad for this. I took the bumper in to a welder and he started laughing when he saw the weld that I attempted. He showed me what I did wrong, let me watch him weld it correctly and only charged me $30. Cool guy, good sense of humor.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xupe45tgp
I don't think you drank enough before you started

that's a definite possibility

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
johnwaynejeep2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarblestone
So what did you do wrong?

1) My welder is too small. I got a 120 volt Mig welder from Harbor Freight. It burns gaping holes in sheet metal and doesn't get hot enough to melt the bumper metal I was using; (5in "C" Channel, about 1/2 inch at it's thickest point)

2) I butted the metal together "I + I = II". I should have ground a "V" in the contact point "\ + / = V". the "V" allows the melted welding rod a place to sit. Otherwise I'm just adding metal to the surface and not getting any penetration.

3) I'm using flux core wire in my welder and I'm not using CO2 gas. CO2 gas will eliminate oxygen at the weld point. I have no idea why this is important but I guess CO2 gas makes for a better weld. Flux core wire is good if you're not using gas but using gas and standard core wire makes for a much better weld.

Bottom line: I cheaped out and bought a $150 welder. I'm sure it will work fine once my welding skills get better but I was trying to weld something that is really beyond the limit of my welder and my experience. Once I have the money I'd like to buy a Miller 235 or Lincoln 235. Both of these welders are fairly well priced (about $500 a piece) and they both have the option of using standard wire or flux core wire and they both have internal attachments for installing a CO2 gas canister if desired. For now the one I got will have to work.

BTW: the bumper is mounted. I still need to trim the ends and weld on some D-ring mounts and then paint it, but it's in place.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

whether it's finished or not...