International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Events > Ouray FSJ Invasion

View Poll Results: 07 Invasion Location
Ouray - home base at KOA like always 16 69.57%
Ouray - split camp between KOA and back country at another site near Ouray 4 17.39%
Moab UT 1 4.35%
Salida CO 1 4.35%
Pigeon Ditch (Dove Creek) 0 0%
Animas Forks Area (back country) 1 4.35%
Lizard Head (USFS campground at Matterhorn) 0 0%
Clayton Area 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Señor Jackhead

07 Invasion Poll

see if I can do this without vapor locking...
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 08-10-2006, 12:44 PM

I am all for giving it one more year at KOA before bailing. And who the hell's idea was it to try and do it in Pigeon Ditch??????
The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepstress
I am all for giving it one more year at KOA before bailing. And who the hell's idea was it to try and do it in Pigeon Ditch??????

Just covering all the local bases Babe. They are close to... They are close to... They are close to... They are close to... They are close to... They are close to... They are close to...

OK, don't vote for Pigeon Ditch...
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
Old 08-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Rabble Rouser

I voted for split camp. It's colorado for keerhists sake, not the jersey shore. We got bears and cougars and woodsies to annoy.

I'll be 33 by then..far too old to be deal with Joes, and too young to need KOA convienences every day and quiet time by 10pm (although a shower here and there would be nice).

someone needs to bring a 55 gallon drum of gas with a pump on it, btw
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 08-10-2006, 04:01 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
I voted for split camp. It's colorado for keerhists sake, not the jersey shore. We got bears and cougars and woodsies to annoy.

I'll be 33 by then..far too old to be deal with Joes, and too young to need KOA convienences every day and quiet time by 10pm (although a shower here and there would be nice).

someone needs to bring a 55 gallon drum of gas with a pump on it, btw

I am with ya fer the split camp! I didn't necessarily bring all this up to get EVERYONE to split camp. I am just saying that I AM going to split camp next year... who's coming with me!

I don't know about the 55 gal drum of gas. I have my two jerry cans that will tide me over till I can get back to town. I was putting 10 gal in Brutus every day I was in Ouray (since I can't top off my tank without gas going everywhere).
Old 08-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Grease Monkey

I have a 200 gallon LPG tank for putting in my trailer and the truck has 40 gallons on board so I should be set! (currently $1.81 a gallon here in WA)
Old 08-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blair
I have a 200 gallon LPG tank for putting in my trailer and the truck has 40 gallons on board so I should be set! (currently $1.81 a gallon here in WA)

Jim - You need to hook up with Bigun. He carried 100 Gal tank on a trailer and had trouble find propane because people in Ouray area don't want to make money on propane for some reason. He might be able to give you pointers on how to not be discouraged finding fuel...
Old 08-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Gear Head

There are things I don't like about KOA, but the other places suggested seem to have downfalls too. I am confused what you guys mean by splitting camp. Camp one place for awhile and somewhere else for awhile? I would like to get away from KOA, but then what about the tequila drinking with the group? Makes it hard to stumble home when you're camping somewhere else.... . I also don't worry so much about leaving stuff at the KOA, not so sure about elsewhere (you know who you are, you Baby Jeep molesters!). I like the idea of setting up somewhere and staying, it smacks of effort to be moving stuff all the time. So really, we need a campground right next to KOA, that is less KOA-ish, with no quiet hours and no R.V.s and cheaper rates?

Project CHOP TOP Tornado Jeep for Ouray 2013
(I'm not dead yet!)
Old 08-10-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blair
WOW!!! I need one of those LOL Actually we didn't do to bad we made it home with 20 or so gallons to spare if we had made the Friday trip over Imogene the trip home might have been a little tense! I paid $2.06 for motor fuel in Edgewood NM and $1.79 in Bloomfield the difference was that the folks in Bloomfield didn't charge road tax! I am hoping by next year to have convinced the propane people that I don't need to bring my tank in to have it weighed to get propane. If I don't I may just hook up to it and drag it the 60 or so miles to their office just so I can see the look on the idiots face when I drop it in 4 low and climb up on her scale to weigh the tank! Oh if I do I will need several people with cameras to get pictures from all sides plus the name of good bail bonds man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
The birth of CROM is recorded here
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778
Old 08-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
There are things I don't like about KOA, but the other places suggested seem to have downfalls too. I am confused what you guys mean by splitting camp. Camp one place for awhile and somewhere else for awhile? I would like to get away from KOA, but then what about the tequila drinking with the group? Makes it hard to stumble home when you're camping somewhere else.... . I also don't worry so much about leaving stuff at the KOA, not so sure about elsewhere (you know who you are, you Baby Jeep molesters!). I like the idea of setting up somewhere and staying, it smacks of effort to be moving stuff all the time. So really, we need a campground right next to KOA, that is less KOA-ish, with no quiet hours and no R.V.s and cheaper rates?

Gotcha BethAnn! Good points. The split camp just means KOA is primary for folks who want potties/showers and a visit from Joe. Well, ya know and safe place to leave gear. That is a plus at KOA. I say the secondary site can be figured out by those who want to rough it. I would not want to leave much behind at a backcountry spot, so might as well plan on packing it up each day unless you are towing a trailer. We won't find better deal for organized or commercial campground in Ouray than the KOA.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I wouldn't think that Moab would be on the list since we do it every year anyway but I would love to see more at Moab.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Old 08-10-2006, 07:38 PM

Maybe we need to address Dave the KOA owner about our concerns. We have been coming for a long time and we have always been good campers. Perhaps he needs to be made aware that his campground nazi is potentially driving away repeat customers. We have made every VOLUNTARY effort to minimize out impact on the other visitor by keeping together in a back corner. And this year in particular we made sure our party spot was as secluded as we could get. The fact that we are voluntarily trying to minimize our impact, and have been doing so for several years, should have some meaning. And I know Joe is just a senile old man who couldn't remember day to day what underwear to put on, let alone what group of people driving hugely obvious vehicles that he's already given "The Talk" to, but maybe dave could tell him to lay off section so-and-so, unless NECESSARY, while we are they. Jiminy Crickets, he couldn't possibly be able to hear us from any distance anyway!
The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 PM
just got here....

From a purely financial perspective I'd rather go to Moab. Never been there. But my vote would be to stay in Ouray. Something to be said for tradition. I'd also say a split group is a good thing, those who want a nightly party can do that where they don't have to worry too much about noise. Those who are more worried about securing their valuables and/or snoozing can stay at the KOA. The biggest problem with that would be arranging a rondevous(sp?) for trail rides.
.....(Forward tilt hood / widened flares / custom rear bumper with tire carrier & air hose storage)
Old 08-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsj1978
I'd also say a split group is a good thing, those who want a nightly party can do that where they don't have to worry too much about noise. Those who are more worried about securing their valuables and/or snoozing can stay at the KOA.

But I want it all!! I like Krista's idea of talking to the higher-ups. It would be kind of sad to end up splitting the group, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an invasion? Of course we can all meet up for trail runs, but to me it's not the same without the late-night group campfire shenanigans . We can all go party by ourselves at our own spots when we are at home.

Project CHOP TOP Tornado Jeep for Ouray 2013
(I'm not dead yet!)
Old 08-11-2006, 02:35 AM

I'm for staying at KOA. The Joe issue should be brought up to the owners. He's a Looney ...
Those that want to rough it a few nights, I see no problem with that at all. There is a spot directly across from the KOA and half way up the mountain. It is in the SanJuan Forest boundry. There was a huge flat area at a horse trail. Maybe it was a foot trail. Doesn't look well used and I'm not sure what is around the next bend as the "Pukon" would of lost it's Bling Bling parts. The road getting you there is a mile or so South of the KOA. It goes through a small hillside subdivision. It then turns to dirt and goes up through the canyon walls.
It may be a good spot to stay kind of close to the others as well. You could taunt Joe from the opposing hillside. Cause you all know how your voice carries and is magically magnified by the thin night air. Maybe even have a fire so big it will illuminate the KOA.
The spots at KOA are definitely plenty big enough to double up on when the hillbillies return from the back country for showering.

That's my nickle ninety-eight's worth.
1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I prefer the KOA and Ouray from the family perspective, and because we've stayed in one of the Kabins I have more room for tools.

Maybe what could happen would be several "outer trips" - like the Stoney Pass crew - culminating at the KOA in Ouray. One group hits Moab on the way, another starts in Cortez, and yet another could come by way of the Dunes. Multiple adventures ending up for a few days in Ouray to seal it all up. Depending on everyone's needs and available vacation time this could be tricky, but it's still unorganized and each can make their own choices about where to go and for how long.

Next year is my 20th anniversary (July 25th), and while I'd love to share it with y'all, it's really not my decision to make. If I can swing the cash part of it, we could cruise Alaska and hit Ouray too!
'78 Cherokee Chief WT 33X12.50 BFG A/T's, 15X8 Rockcrawlers, 4" BDS lift, TFI, NOS QT, TH400
"Sherman"
1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee, 44HD rear, 4:10's
"Roxie"
2004 Rubicon
"Moose"
2000 Ford Expedition XLT with 4.6L
Old 08-11-2006, 06:46 PM
360 AMC

Arrow

The backcountry...Just think of what the tourists will think when we wake up at noon and what the ghosts will think of us partying past midnight ?

Old 08-11-2006, 08:38 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeTrickle
The backcountry...Just think of what the tourists will think when we wake up at noon and what the ghosts will think of us partying past midnight ?

I am in for that. Once in a while you do have good ideas...you must be tilting that bottle again.......
Stak 3 speed
44" Pitbull Rockers on Trailworthy H1's
Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
401....new project

Tow Rig Daily Driver// 2007 6.7 CTD Dually
Old 08-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Gone,But not Forgotten.

... The 2006 FSJ KOA party.

Here our friend Flat Black removes his teeth so they won't break when he hits the ground! ...J/K...
... Matt (out of the PIC at the right side) is squeezing the bottle because he thinks it’s an Agave root and getting more juice (or was it worms?) not knowing we had another full bottle.
… This was the quietest and most FUN KOA Party we’ve been to and that was good because there was a house 100 feet straight up above us. One thing that helped keep the noise level down is that there was no radio playing loud music like before.

Have a good one and “Jeep Jeep!” CUL.. Don S..
Old 08-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Rabble Rouser

shhhhh...laughing leads to dancing!
Hunter S. Thompson .

Closed Thread