International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 02-10-2015, 04:08 AM

77 Cherokee - Locker Questions

I'm getting ready to order some lockers for my 77 Cherokee WT, and I've never done lockers on a rig like this before. I know in a perfect world ARB would be best, but I don't want to spend that kind of $$$.

Rig is just used during the summer, pavement and old dirt roads. Might jump in it, drive 50-60 miles on pavement, then hit dirt roads/logging trails for another 30 miles. Locker would be for the occasional culvert out, washout etc. Currently lifted with 35" BFG muds.

In the past I've used an aussie in the front on my XJ, but since this jeep has manual hubs, is it worth going with an auto or would a spool be better/cheaper since I can unlock the hubs and it would be invisible on road? Plus if steering is tight I can leave one hub unlocked as well.

As for the rear I've never has a rear locker, DD in the snow was my 4x4. This jeep, being manual, I would think having an auto locker would be bad there, too? As in the locking/unlocking as I shift could be annoying and erratic especially if someone else is driving? I was thinking spool there would be more consistant and only noticeable in a tight parking lot or something, which this jeep will rarely see.

Hopefully some of that makes sense, I have the $ for Aussies front and rear, but if they aren't right for the application and something easier/cheaper can be used instead I'm all for going that route.

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Always Broke

If you are going to drive it on snow and ice a front locker (automatic or spool) will cause it to drive different than open. I would either go arb or open.

You might consider just locking the rear with an automatic locker and see how that does ya. For the wheel'n you described it should get you most of the way there.
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM

The jeep will never see snow/ice its parked all winter. I'm only unsure of an auto locker due to it being a standard transmission, what funky stuff might happen when I shift and the auto locker unloads, then relocks?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 PM
304 AMC

From what you describe a full-time locker in the rear and a LSD in the front would work nicely. a locker will un-lock when you let go of the gas on turns, a spool will not. My rigs are manual and with lunch box in the rear I sometimes get the loud "clunk" that gives you the impression that something broke, but it's the locker slipping a tooth. never had that issue with the detroit though.

'79 Cherokee "The Sandgorgon"
One Tons, SOA,T18 on 40's

78 J10 "Imoteb"
J20 running gear and axles
Old 02-11-2015, 02:50 AM

I'm thinking that if I pick up a mini spool and an Aussie I'll see which one I like in the back, and if I don't like the spool it's not much of a loss.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:12 PM

I had a mini spool in the Chevelle. Drives fine, a little tricky in the rain, and lots of tire squealing on slow speed turns like parking lots and drive throughs. Would be pretty hard on the axles with 35's.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 PM
327 Rambler

I'm sorry you've ruled out the perfect solution--selectable locker for the front. Since I have Warn Lock-o-Matics, I'm never free wheelin' unless I'm coasting; so on the trail, my E-locker is perfect because I can choose when to make a spool with the front diff and when I want it open.
Steering has never been a problem nor has ice and snow because I only lock at low speeds off road.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light