International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 10-30-2018, 10:43 AM
304 AMC

I knew you had the same type of building work going on. I was wondering how things were going over your way when I was framing everything out. New work spaces are way under appreciated .... I am still moving stuff every day and building shelves for stuff I should get rid of. I am looking forward to having all the snow prep work done and getting back on my project. I am looking forward to the headliner.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
And soon... Another M715! echo... echo...
Old 11-06-2018, 08:23 PM
304 AMC

Finally a couple days back on Sadie. It is going to snow any minute now. And I mean that. I have been getting ready for it and I now am. Plus trying to fix stuff as fast as it breaks. My dads Tundra has a bad wheel bearing and I just found the driveline carrier bearing is toast. I will get to it sooner or later.

So I got a call from restoration plating that the 4 trim pieces for the tailgate were done. I made a road trip and knocked out a few things since I made the trip to Spokane. They rebuilt the posts on one of the lower trim pieces. They always corrode and leave nothing to hold the trim in the middle. These guys sure do a good job. There was hardly any post left here.

So I found a barrel nut that works great. Original on the left and a new one on the right. For a 3/16 post you can see the dimensions in case anybody wants to get some. They worked really well.

Everything fit just about perfect.

I made 6 new stainless mounting studs for the wider uppers out of some button head screws. That was when I found something was broken off in one of the threaded holes. I did not want to risk messing up the chrome, so I got 3 or 4 threads in and put a dab of 3M body panel adhesive and let it cure overnight. The 3M adhesive puts JB weld to shame. It will never come off without being cut off. I think it was a chrome plug that is supposed to keep the threads from getting chrome plated and getting smaller. I could swear I ran a tap in each hole before I took them down. Not a biggie, I have glue.

Dug out a NOS license plate holder and after making some neoprene post seals got all of it on.

With an exception of needing to do some lock cylinder work, this gate is done. Looks great for sure. I got a new shipment of ribbed aluminum in for those panels there. As yes unfortunately the costs had gone up over double. I will still make and sell them, but I doubt if it will be very feasible later. You can only charge so much for stuff.....

Dang this looks just great. Fancy shmancy chrome fu fu shine...

And I got to do some real work in the new mini shop. I got all ready to sew up a new headliner and found the belt missing from my machine. I found one across the road and made it work. I very carefully measured out two old beat up headliners. 8 panels averaging 12 and a 1/2 inches wide I carefully cut them out of the new vinyl I got from Royal last week or so ago. Plus the sleeves for the bows were 1 inch tall, so I cut out 7 sleeves from a material called bow drill. It is made for supporting headliners that are held up by metal rods. Speaking of metal bows. They are different and if any of you have ever removed an early headliner or took a peek through a tear, you might have seen paint on the end of the bow.
From front to back
no paint or zinc plated
black
black
green
orange
orange
yellow

How about a visual?

Different curvature for some. Keep them in order. That is a second set on the left there. They were a little bent up and the set in the photo were great. I fixed them all to match the correct color.

Each corner of the headliner had a tuck. Probably to keep it tight. The rest was simply folded and sewn. I had to make individual panels because I could not find vinyl wide enough to do the same. I had to cut it long ways from the roll for the full width to work with.

Making the front two panels. See how I compensated for the tuck by moving the end of the sleeve back from the edge? I did not bother cutting the material back. This will effectively gather the vinyl and should keep it taught later. I joined two panels at a time with bow drill sleeves attached. Then joined the four panels to make half the headliner. Same with the back then joined the two 4 panels together for a complete 8 panel liner.

Cutting the bow drill sleeves. This was all slow going....

4 panels done. So far so good. This is the very first time ever making a headliner for me. The new machine is really awesome to work with.

All done 8 panels long. This was a lot to handle in the machine. I need a table to set up to lay it all flat on the same plane as I feed it through. Letting it fall and get all bunched up made it hard to keep the 4 layers perfect. But I got it.

The business side.

And stretched out it should be right on my planned mark. This is great.

Next I need to trim back the sleeves to the correct length for the bows. It will be a tapered cut from the edge to the correct width. I will tackle that tomorrow. I am real pleased how this came out for the first one. I will only get better from here. If the fit is perfect and everything meets my standards of never selling junk, I hope to sell these later. The last couple days have been great working on Sadie. I needed the mental break and change of projects and also had a million things to catch up on. More soon. Time for dinner and a nap.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 11-06-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:59 PM
304 AMC

The million dollar question. Do you stretch and glue each end of a bow held headliner, then tuck the sides? Or is it the opposite by tucking the sides and then pulling and gluing the ends. It would seem to me the ends should be done first. So I stopped there and will ask here and visit you tube for a possible how to video.

I measured out each bow and cut the sleeves back for the right amount of reveal. I inserted the bows and headed for Sadie. I tried to tear the bow drill and no way, that stuff is super strong and did not give one bit.

I had to straighten nearly every single tooth on the side strips. They bend easily and needed quite a bit of fixing.

I found where each one went. The two holes up in the right of the pic are for the bows. The bows go in the lower holes all the way down the roof. I verified this on my 69 and a second 70 in the yard.

With absolutely no clue on how to do this other than some past help from Angel (msbeastie) from when she did her headliner, I knew I needed to secure the ends or the bows flip down won't stay vertical. Sure enough. I used clamps and clamped the vinyl on the pinch weld knowing I will be trimming off the vinyl getting pinched by the clamps.

When you pull it tight down the sides it looks great. It also smooths out the vinyl flat as a pancake. I think this will go real well and look good.

Now I need to find out what gets done first. The ends or sides. It makes sense to me to do the ends first. Then pull the sides down and tuck them in the toothed rails. But I want to check.

It is getting very cold out. I had the shop at 72 with heat and a wood stove. I think that finishing this out should be done in a warm shop. So on a hot summer day the headliner does not get loose.

More in a bit...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-07-2018, 07:41 PM
304 AMC

Checked on youtube with professionals. The ends are secured first and the sides last. That makes sense. tucking the sides then pulling could make wrinkles from the sides being anchored. I will move ahead....liner...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-07-2018, 10:19 PM
350 Buick

That is an incredible amount and of work, and as usual, an exceptional end product. I would not even know how to begin something as complex as that headliner!

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, Aussie rear, LDS front, 4.10s
http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD
Old 11-08-2018, 10:17 AM
304 AMC

Making it was the easy part. It seems so far. I have a book here that details bow suspended headliners that Bill gave me that I will read today. Everything on youtube was shorter and not as long as a FSJ liner. I suspect the methods are the same. I think pulling tension on the ends with clamps before glue is the way to go. I will sure detail out the install process for others to see for their projects. Today I am on a rented trencher. I had a data cable show up I was waiting for. So it might be a day or so for the end result. ...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-08-2018, 07:45 PM
258 I6

Man that looks great! Does your clock have 36 hours on it, it must with all that you get done in a day.
88 GW
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))
Old 11-08-2018, 09:09 PM
304 AMC

Why yes! It takes me 36 hours to do what takes everybody else 12 hours do. But my stuff is cool and purdy.... So is everybody else's though.
Dang, I almoooooost posted "where is Todd" in my last couple postings. No kidding. Glad to hear from you. I hope the restomod project is progressing.

I was hoping to get back on the headliner today. That trencher I rented had a broken drive engagement on the right wheel. I had to lift a 350 pound machine back on a straight path every three feet. I am beat up and sore. I heart advil. It should not have been out for rental. Crazy small town hijinks...
I have installed the headliner a dozen times in my mind. I have a plan. And one set of crossed fingers. I will post everything when it happens. Even my mistakes... Well, maybe one of them.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
Why yes! It takes me 36 hours to do what takes everybody else 12 hours do. But my stuff is cool and purdy.... So is everybody else's though.
Dang, I almoooooost posted "where is Todd" in my last couple postings. No kidding. Glad to hear from you. I hope the restomod project is progressing.

LOL! now you sound like me. The restomod will be in limbo till about march, I hope to have the engine, trans and transfer case done by then. At that point I will start posting in my thread again, in the meantime I am about to gather up all the unused parts from the resto and throw them on my (parts) jeep to make a driver from spare parts. I may start a thread on that when it gets going.
88 GW
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))
Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 AM
327 Rambler

Was hoping to get up there for a visit Al before the weather closed in. That is looking very slim now. I need those 36 hour days to get all my cheap done!
Old 11-09-2018, 11:13 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
Was hoping to get up there for a visit Al before the weather closed in. That is looking very slim now. I need those 36 hour days to get all my cheap done!

You two are always welcome Frank. It was great to meet you both when you stopped in. Currently 23 degrees and cloudy. Lots of snow on the hills. 90% chance today. So yes I think you might have missed it this year. Unless you have a snow suit.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-09-2018, 11:14 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthewelder
LOL! now you sound like me. The restomod will be in limbo till about march, I hope to have the engine, trans and transfer case done by then. At that point I will start posting in my thread again, in the meantime I am about to gather up all the unused parts from the resto and throw them on my (parts) jeep to make a driver from spare parts. I may start a thread on that when it gets going.

Be sure to do that. New material is always great!

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-11-2018, 05:46 PM
304 AMC

Well I won the bet on when it was going to snow. I said November 6th and my wife said November 22. It snowed 2.5 inches on the 9th. I am not sure what I won, but I did.

Good day today. I finished another how am I going to do that task. The headliner is done and I could not be more pleased. My first one and it had some challenges but nothing that could not be handled. I put it in and clamped the ends for a couple days. I wanted the seams to stretch and lay flat. It helped and today I nailed it. I found some better clamps to do this. There is one visible in the picture below. It has a stout grip and is short and light. So it does not tend to fall off by it's own weight. The C-clamps I used worked but not the right tool there. They leave a circle in the vinyl and even though that part got cut off, it is not the best tool. Plus the blue handled clamps have plastic on them and if they fall on unprotected paint, there is less chance of a paint chip happening verses the C-clamps pretty much chipping paint for sure.
Anyway... First I needed a very warm shop. I built a fire in the stove and fired off the 220 heater. I waited till it was 68 and climbing. I climbed in and pulled on the sides till it was clear that I had equal material hanging down on both sides.

Like this. Note the blue clamp there.

Then I started tucking the edge up to get a bite on the teeth of the rails. I bought a cheap headliner tucking tool thinking I might need it. THAT was the tool to use as it worked great. It has very smooth edges for no cuts.

I worked my way down both sides switching back and forth to make sure it was equal. That edge showing primer gets a pinch weld cover later. Same as it was before getting taken apart.

Got the sides done and had to trim the front vinyl at the windshield pillar. For a proper fold and transition to go under the seal. You want a single layer under the glass seal and only a little fold so it gets held well by the glue.
Keep the area as flat as possible for keeping leaks to a minimum.

So after a lot of masking for over spray I did the back first. I figured if a mistake was to be made, better there than the front where you can see it by sitting under it.

Can you tell I was worried about over spray?

Turns out the glue spray was pretty focused. Better safe than sorry though.

I marked the vinyl for the band of glue.

Then sprayed both the roof and vinyl.

Then I had a freak out moment. I noticed on the front side it had bled through and looked like it was wrecking the vinyl.

Turns out it was frost from the glue drying. Geez.... I thought I had to make another headliner. So after I changed my shorts I waiting the ten minutes and starting from the center pulled it tight backwards and lifted up to the roof glue strip.

Using a modified O-ring hook with the tip ground off and bent I forced the vinyl up into the corner of the rear window seal channel. This is the front window for example only.

I left the excess vinyl on for now in case I had to redo any of it. I went to the front and did that end.

Always start from the center. It went really well. The glue grabs well and is briefly able to be repositioned. I did not have to ever do that.

Once I felt confident it was a done deal, I trimmed back the excess vinyl on both ends so the window seals would capture the vinyl just like original.

A couple retucks and some mild adjusting and securing the rear view mirror, coat hooks, and dome light and presto. A real live headliner.

Many more views....

From the back end.

It is hard to get good lighting for a decent picture. But you get the idea... The chrome base dome light is from BJ's Offroad, coat hooks soaked in must for rust and polished and clear coated with Cerakote gun coating. Mirror cleaned and painted with Cerakote C series C124 satin nickel single stage paint. (Disclaimer,,,, According to the bureau of alcohol, tobbacco, and firearms, using cerakote is gunsmithing activity) ..... And once again.... I am shooting for perfection.

Only one or two very mild wrinkles. I will work those out later after the glue is set. 24 hours it said at 72 degrees. I will feed the stove tonight.

Next is a dash pad. I have 8 or so of them, but only one or two of them could be used after some repairs. I will focus on that then I will call for the windshield install.

All in all 4.5 hours to install.
Glue was Fast Tack 92 which is a high heat sprayable contact adhesive. Same stuff I now use on my fire wall pad sets.
Tools used, only three....
Scissors, a modified 0-ring hook, and the headliner tucking tool.

Always one picture that won't load. The tool pic is no go for now.

What would I do differently? Trim the excess fold off the seams to reduce the size of the bumps where the bows are. It would help them to tuck up in easier I suspect. The next headliner will get that.

More soon....

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 11-11-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 PM
350 Buick

Looks great.

I'd like a real headliner but mine came with the foam stuff so I'd have to find the parts and pay someone to make it.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:26 AM
304 AMC

WOW!!!! Lots of people in the real world can do one or two things that are over the top show quality work. You do it all at an unbelievable level. And one of the neatest things is we get to see it first hand and interact with you and asked questions we might need answers to on our own rigs. The crazy thing about this site is we probably have 25 different people that I consider to be automotive artist and freely hand out advice to guys like me just trying our best to build a driver. Thanks for letting us watch this rebirth of what has to be one of the nicest Wagoneers ever. The attention to detail is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 11-13-2018, 12:59 AM
304 AMC

Well thanks Full size jeeper. And thanks Solsaks Dave in NC for the PM message boost. I am just an amateur really. I do like to fix things. I like making things even better. And I sure like old jeeps of any type. A good mix.
And I have seen your work. Pretty darn nice. The best thing we could ever do is show the work in detail. It gives someone who has never tackled the project in front of them a better chance at having success. And think of all the people at work who should be working and are able to read our stuff instead. Anyway, thanks man.

So I spent the day on two dash pads. I got Sadies old metal dash out of storage and mounted it on a plywood strip for bench top work. I installed one pad that was in fair shape but needing to be reskined. I used a heat gun to get the front edge to lay in the V groove at the base of the windshield. The stuff is very brittle. It becomes soft and bendable with lots of careful heat. I am finding that the dash pad skin is a textured plastic and not really vinyl. That is why they crack so easily. I got confident about how to work with the pads and moved to the one pad that should be savable. I had one crack up froward on the drivers side way up by the glass. It got laminated today with a thin skin of plastic from my hobby stuff. I also had to take out the metal strips that give the attachment clips up front support to hold the dash down.
I carefully heated all three sections one at a time and got Fast tack 92 in the fold and on the metal strips. One at a time I repaired the area by inserting the metal strips back in and put the clips back. Tedious small work....

Then to repair the blown out defroster holes. I got one done and using Sadies original completely trashed and cracked dash pad, I have been cutting small patch strips of plastic to bridge the breaks and establish the entire forward strip on one of the defroster slots. I have the pad on the kitchen island tonight to cure up. I only have one defroster slot to repair tomorrow. Then install it on the metal dash and heat, form and clamp the forward edge to the right shaped for an install on the rig. I called and talked to the windshield guy today. He is standing by for when I am ready for glass.

I will post pictures of this huge repair process tomorrow. I left the camera in the shop. I hope the dash pad looks ok. I have 6 or 7 pads. All of them are pretty beat up. Three of them pretty much junk and only good for a mold or some type of copy job. The pad I am working on was the only one with no cigarette burns, tears, big cracks, or holes. It could be better.
Till tomorrow....

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-13-2018, 01:06 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
Looks great.

I'd like a real headliner but mine came with the foam stuff so I'd have to find the parts and pay someone to make it.

So if you had the dual holes like a figure 8 in your roof structural rails on each side for the bows, you could find the bows and eventually I could make you a headliner. A little later this winter of course. I would like to ebay them later if all goes well. First things first, Sadie must be done for sure in just a few months. Just a thought....

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-13-2018, 03:13 AM
304 AMC

Each time i have a look at this thread, i am really impressed, your work is a reference
Old 11-13-2018, 07:24 PM
304 AMC

Thanks mud89.

So I spent about three hours seeing how to deal with dash pads. Then moved to the only one worth putting on. And I am not really satisfied with it just yet. Dash pads are a plastic textured skin bonded to a spray foam type of foam set in a mold. Over time they shrink, crack, become very brittle and if stored wrong, they develop dipped eyebrows that don't want to lay down nicely on the dash metal from front to back.
I see I have stored all my pads wrong by setting them on a shelf right side up. This caused the front edge (glass side) to bend up making a dish from the edge you look at towards the glass. The right way to store these to promote a flat top is upside down on a long flat surface. Now I know...

So a heat gun is the only way to move any of the twisted warped plastic. My goal was to flatten it all out, then reheat it to conform to the Valley below the glass. Low heat setting only moving back and forth so you don't glaze and melt the appearance of the plastic. Try and move any of this stuff with no heat and it will crack and wreck it completely.

On the keeper dash pad, I had to remove the three metal strips that support the clips. The glue had lost it's hold over the years with interior heat and age.
I opened up the fold after lots of heat and sprayed fast tack 92 in there along with on both sides of the metal strip. I had to sand the strip first.
Note the blown out defroster slots.

I secured all three strips and inserted the clips in each spot. You must test these for fit on a dash before the glue sets up. I had to move all but two by just a little bit. I used a Q-tip to reapply glue I sprayed in a small puddle under the fold covering the metal strip. There were a couple spots that needed it. It is very solid now.

The one crack in the front corner on the drivers side got glued then laminated with a very thin strong piece of plastic from the hobby supply pile.
I filed the top edge away so it would not tend to show itself later if the pad settles on it. You don't want sharp edges under stuff like this.

One of the broken defroster slots. Duct tape under to close the break and keep it tight till I can glue on that patch. That patch came from Sadies original dash which I deemed not repairable.

The only way I could work with this stuff was lots of heat and flatten it while it cools. Glue my fitted patch on and then bend it again with heat to the proper shape.

Replacing a missing section with a long patch. Nearly all of this repair will be hidden by the big flag on the windshield gasket. I still wanted to reattach all of it.

I discovered excess glue that leaked on to the front could be removed with duct tape and a couple careful wipes with the tape. It cleaned right up.

Hours later, all fixed as good as it can be and conformed to the Vee groove with heat and clamps one area at a time. It actually looks great considering what I started with. I had to go buy more clamps for this.

Another view.

Tomorrow I will heat the shop up as warm as I can get it. Then install this on the painted dash with heat and the stainless clamps I made for this. I hope it is successful. I need to figure out how to make a replacement pad, or reskin a dash pad with a quality super flexible vinyl. That would have been my choice. But doing something like that is way harder than it sounds. I think about stuff like this at night laying there when I should be trying to get to sleep.

Happy Tuesday.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7
Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 PM
304 AMC

I am not installing the rebuilt dash pad just yet. I decided to try and recover and reskin a dash pad that is near perfect except for 4 screw holes and rail type impressions from something that was installed up where the speaker holes were on later pads. I have ordered a flexible filler for the screw holes and I have very flexible vinyl already. I will give it a shot and see what happens.
If all goes well I will have a very nice looking fresh dash pad to put on. If it does not work, then the repaired pad is not to bad and will go on instead.
It actually looks really good.
I will post how I do it. I have to try and do this.
Waiting for more glue and flexible filler to arrive. I estimate 2-3 days for the repair and reskin after everything is here.
P.S. Just dashes has a great this is how we do it video. Not that I would copy anything....

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's and a 7