International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-09-2021, 06:34 PM
350 Buick

Better Headlights

I have been using Sylvania Silver Star headlights but am curious if the Hella DOT or E-code lights sold by BJ's offer a significant improvement. The Sylvania's always seemed good to me and are half price compared to the Hella's. I have installed a relay setup to improve the voltage. Any thoughts?

My FSJ is a 1977 Cherokee

Old 02-10-2021, 10:58 PM
304 AMC

I use the E code headlights with relays. DO NOT get the dot approved E codes. They are no better than a traditional headlight. Look at the lens of both styles in my link below. Money wasted. The European E code lights have the super sharp cut off with 45 degree shoulder illumination. With the modern car lights you see today on the road, the fact that the standard E code lights not being neutered by ineffective DOT rules will never be noticed by anyone. They provide less glare to oncoming traffic than the DOT lights. I am about to put a new set of E code lights in a custom M715 build. Great lights. Not sure what BJ's has or what the price is, here is where I get mine. I would never waste money on anything DOT approved. See what this kit says about Dot lights....

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-7-...dlamp-kit.html

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
71 project J truck FOR SALE
1970 J truck long bed bed FOR SALE
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
83 CJ-7 excellent shape FOR SALE
And soon... Another M715! echo... echo...
Old 02-10-2021, 11:11 PM
232 I6

I concur with Kaiser Jeeps. I may also strongly suggest updating to a relay harness when doing the conversion. Porcelain sockets are suggested for those lights.

Fleet Fox
Old 02-11-2021, 01:31 PM

The E-codes are good as long as you have no local safety inspection, and no LEO objects. Note that these have a very sharp cutoff, and will be blinding to anyone in a sports car, for example.

IMO even the DOT-approved lights are much better than the incandescent bulbs. Also IMO - you don't need porcelain sockets unless you run illegally high wattage bulbs. The original sockets are fine with the street-legal 60/55 watt bulbs. Relays will further improve brightness and make your switches last longer.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 02-12-2021, 01:05 AM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff
I have been using Sylvania Silver Star headlights but am curious if the Hella DOT or E-code lights sold by BJ's offer a significant improvement. The Sylvania's always seemed good to me and are half price compared to the Hella's. I have installed a relay setup to improve the voltage. Any thoughts?

My FSJ is a 1977 Cherokee
BJ's also lists Cibie headlights. They are expensive. They are worth the extra money. The difference is not that they are "brighter". The difference is that their light distribution is superior. And yes, that means superior to Hella H4s

If you can't justify the cost of Cibies, spend some time on lighting forums and see whether there are still any decent sealed beam options. Last I heard, GE Nighthawk was pretty good, but I don't know whether they're still available.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:27 AM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreese
The E-codes are good as long as you have no local safety inspection, and no LEO objects. Note that these have a very sharp cutoff, and will be blinding to anyone in a sports car, for example.
I have to disagree with you here. I have European market (I guess what people call E-code) Cibie H4s with serious high wattage bulbs in my J20. They are carefully and correctly aimed. My other car is an early MR2, which is about as low as a car can get short of a Muira or a Caterham 7, and I can meet the J20 on the road without difficulty. Nobody flashes me unless I'm actually using high beam. Certainly it's far kinder to oncoming traffic than many new cars with OEM LED headlights, let alone all the nose-high lifted pickups with LED or HID capsules stuffed into halogen housings.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:29 AM
232 I6

I use these. When you add LED bulbs, it is important to have LEDs that are on the same distance from the reflector than the H4 bulbs
4" Skyjacker

Last edited by Be from Be : 02-14-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:29 PM
232 I6

I bought a Ford SUV a few years with HID bulb conversion, everyone flashed me. they were terrible. Swapped back to H4s and happy days.

I have bought Hella H4 housings a number of times for my jeeps and they are great quality, well worth the price.

However I have noticed with H4s the one drawback from sealed beams, the reflectors can rust. If I had sealed beams and the relay upgrade gave me enough light, I would stick with them.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:41 PM
304 AMC

Well I've had good experience with Hella's "Vision Plus" 7" round headlights which are SAE automotive version of the H4 lamps. So far my experience with the 5.6" x 7.6" rectangular version is that they are OK. One difference is in the rectangular versions I used the HB2 bulb that came with it - which is not a particular good bulb.

Hella's E code H4 lamps that I did try had too much beam seperation hi to low.

I used the Cibie E-codes in my Grand Wagoneer until a couple of years ago. Bulbs were Narva Rangepower +50 H4. Plus lamps provide more lumens at the cost of lifespan. For me +50 was a good compromise. Next to go in are a set of Bosch H4s. A little pricey compared to the Vision plus.

Depending on when your SJ was built, the H4 lamps may draw more current than the original lamps.
Ironicly as headlamp technology and science improved, the industry decided that the best thing to do was reduce power requirement while keeping the same light on the road (for low beams).
For example in rectangular headlights the H6054 halogen lamp is listed as a replacement for the incandescent 6052. But it may or may not provide better lighting. Low beam power draw went down to a nominal 35 Watts.
The only exception on the market currently is GE's H6052NH. Some people love it as a relatively low cost, good lamp. My experience with it in the Wagoneer has been that its OK bu tnot great. Apparently they switched production to China a couple years ago and didn't keep the quality.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...k-sealed-beams

Whether E-code lamps are legal depends on your state vehicle requirement codes. The important thing is to aim them.

Whether a LED bulb in an H4 lamp can produce the same beam pattern as a properly located filiment is doubtful.
Trucklight and JWSpeaker sell LED headlamps that do meet US lighting standards. Not cheap!

For those using H4 lamps - An interesting H4 bulb comparison
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...b-test-results
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish
Old 03-05-2021, 09:42 AM

go LED. there is some decent led lamps on ebay and amazon. i run them on the big trucks. good beam and no glare into oncoming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...