• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Z-240071
    232 I6
    • Oct 08, 2017

79 Cherokee value ?

Hi everyone.
    By coincidence , while looking at an online property ad , i saw somthing jeep looking in the pictures of the property . Thinking it may be a car usable as parts for my J20 project , i got curious and found the name listed as the seller of the property , as the realesrate agents did not return my calls . It was a lawyer , selling the estate of a dead guy , and the jeep was for sale . It was a bit long away , but another coincidence had me driving a long trip , that made looking at this jeep only a 4 hour ekstra trip . I just had to go !
    It seems to me to be a 1979 cherokee with chief s badges . 360 and 3 speed automatic . It looks to be almost rust free , and the blue interior seem to be all in order . I dont know for sure , as the doors was locked , but it may look like an levis interior ? It seem to me to have the grille used only between 79 and 80 ?

As i know little of cherokee’s , and i never see them for sale at my location , i wounder if members of this forum would have an opinion of what a car like this is worth ? What does a 79 cherokee sell for thies days ?

Link to pictures : https://imgur.com/a/jS2km3p
    Last edited by Z-240071; 11-25-2021, 02:49 PM.

Not familiar with the exports, over here the rectangular headlights started in '80, and the cherk and trucks got the "muscle" grille. Don't have my book to breakout the Vin for the year. Should be able to do that online.

As to value, tough to say for Norway. Over here if running, I'd guess between $2000-2500 US.
    He might take way less just to get it gone. Hit him low and see what the counter offer is. Probably be able to meet somewhere in the middle. You're going to have some work to do, even if running when parked. A lot is going to depend on engine/trans condition.
    Art
    ASE Master Collision Tech
    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Z-240071
      232 I6
      • Oct 08, 2017

Originally posted by goldhammer
      Not familiar with the exports, over here the rectangular headlights started in '80, and the cherk and trucks got the "muscle" grille. Don't have my book to breakout the Vin for the year. Should be able to do that online.

As to value, tough to say for Norway. Over here if running, I'd guess between $2000-2500 US.
      He might take way less just to get it gone. Hit him low and see what the counter offer is. Probably be able to meet somewhere in the middle. You're going to have some work to do, even if running when parked. A lot is going to depend on engine/trans condition.
      Regarding the grille , in the 1979 cataloge i got all have rectangular headlights ? different for exports vs domestics ?
      Last edited by Z-240071; 11-27-2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

VIN says it's a 1980
        Far as value no idea but suspect in Norway even a parts truck is a rarity?

Grille as well as just about any part could have been replaced in 40ish years.
        Looks complete and in decent shape though.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Heep-J4000
          350 Buick
          • Feb 09, 2014

Before you make a offer on the jeep make sure that the engine is not locked up and have a look if there is still antifreeze in the radiator.
          (One of the pictures showing green fluid on the intake manifold)

If you looked it over and under the carpet and it looks good and no big rust holes.
          I would start with something around 1500-/2000- Euro.

(Overhere in Holland they go for 4000-euro in bad shape to around 20.000 in driveable condition.
          The last ten years the value went up to crazy prices for the full size Jeeps
          Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
          73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
          80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
          70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
          85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
          83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• Z-240071
            232 I6
            • Oct 08, 2017

I found some history on the jeep at the "dmv" .
            First registered in 1981 .
            "current" owner had the car since 1984.
            Plates taken off the car in 1997 .
            2 owner car.
            Also found out that the owner was a jeep enthusiast , and had several jeeps
            at another location that has sold already.

Comment

• Z-240071
              232 I6
              • Oct 08, 2017

Originally posted by Heep-J4000
              Before you make a offer on the jeep make sure that the engine is not locked up and have a look if there is still antifreeze in the radiator.
              (One of the pictures showing green fluid on the intake manifold)

If you looked it over and under the carpet and it looks good and no big rust holes.
              I would start with something around 1500-/2000- Euro.

(Overhere in Holland they go for 4000-euro in bad shape to around 20.000 in driveable condition.
              The last ten years the value went up to crazy prices for the full size Jeeps
              I was not able to look inside and lift carpet . i did slide underneath and had a look.
              could not see any rust beside surface rust. pretty straight body. chrome look good. window chrome was inside the car and looked ok. interior a bit dirt , but in good shape with no rips.
              i have a good feeling about this one.

Comment

• Be from Be
                232 I6
                • Jan 27, 2017

I agree with Heep. You can't go wrong with an offer of 1.500
                1978 Cherokee Chief
                360 V8 Automatic
                Quadra Trac w/ Mile Marker conversion
                4" Skyjacker

Comment

• Z-240071
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 08, 2017

Anyone know a trick to disable the stearingwheel lock if the keys cant be found ?

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

pull wheel and remove lock plate, then remove lock cylinder.

no "trick" to disable unless you want to break parts and have to replace them later.
                    Tony
                    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Heep-J4000
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 09, 2014

The lock cylinder can be pulled out when pressing a small black clip the is visible when removing the steering wheel and metal plate and horn contact ring that's behind the wheel.

73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)

Former vehicles:

Comment

• Heep-J4000
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 09, 2014

This shows exactly how it works

Don't break the plastic tube that is on the horn contact ring
                        You need it to have the horn working!
                        Last edited by Heep-J4000; 12-11-2021, 10:20 AM.

Former vehicles:

Comment

• Z-240071
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 08, 2017

This shows exactly how it works

Don't break the plastic tube that is on the horn contact ring
                          You need it to have the horn working!
                          Thanks ! Looks pretty straight forward .
                          Do know if the key needs to be in the lock to be able to pop it out ?
                          Removing lock cylinders on other cars i some times had to have key in , and Even turned to position 1 or 2 .

To clarify , i am not stealing the car . Seller just dont seem to know where the keys are .

Comment

• Heep-J4000
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 09, 2014

Originally posted by Z-240071
                            Thanks ! Looks pretty straight forward .
                            Do know if the key needs to be in the lock to be able to pop it out ?
                            Removing lock cylinders on other cars i some times had to have key in , and Even turned to position 1 or 2 .

To clarify , i am not stealing the car . Seller just dont seem to know where the keys are .
                            Can't answer that question for you.
                            The cylinder lock in my 73' j4000 is worn out enough to pull the key out when in the run position.

Maybe you can pull a door lock cylinder and go with that to a lock smith.
                            A door lock is easy , there is a clip in the inner edge of the front doors when the doors are open.

Former vehicles:

Comment

• Z-240071
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 08, 2017

Can't answer that question for you.
                              The cylinder lock in my 73' j4000 is worn out enough to pull the key out when in the run position.

Maybe you can pull a door lock cylinder and go with that to a lock smith.
                              A door lock is easy , there is a clip in the inner edge of the front doors when the doors are open.
                              https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8962
                              Ok , thank you 👍🏻
                              I can try to pull the ignition cylinder on the J20 , to find out if the key is needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X