International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 11-19-2019, 10:29 AM
360 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4whln
Soo .. I am thinking of this exact route. you have a build thread somewhere? My Chero is an original 401 rig .. all original.. BUT - I am thinking of selling the engine/trans/chassis off and doing this. Thoughts ?
Yeah, my build is in my signature. For the time, effort, and money I have in my rig and I have a 3 speed auto, old brakes that are just about adequate, a transfer case that is unsupported (QTrack), and it is not really that reliable. For the amount of money I have in my rig (probably close to $5k for engine, efi, and other work in my thread) I could have gotten a wrecked truck to swap chassis. That nets a whole lot more than just a 300hp/400lbft 401. It nets a 6 speed auto, better brakes, newer/supported transfer case, newer steering, etc. then sell the chassis (401 goes for big bucks alone) and that helps offset the cost.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 11-24-2019, 09:58 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Yeah, my build is in my signature. For the time, effort, and money I have in my rig and I have a 3 speed auto, old brakes that are just about adequate, a transfer case that is unsupported (QTrack), and it is not really that reliable. For the amount of money I have in my rig (probably close to $5k for engine, efi, and other work in my thread) I could have gotten a wrecked truck to swap chassis. That nets a whole lot more than just a 300hp/400lbft 401. It nets a 6 speed auto, better brakes, newer/supported transfer case, newer steering, etc. then sell the chassis (401 goes for big bucks alone) and that helps offset the cost.

Thread Hijack.. sorry. I have read your thread before of course. Well, I think I am headed in this direction.. sort of. I am thinking of the infamous LS / trans route in the original frame. Full chassis swap is a major undertaking. Not sure I am up for that these days.

I am planning to tow our old camper on a 6,000 mile trip with the wife. Need reliability, tow power and ease of repair if required. Don't need to worry about break downs on a 6 week road trip. Some areas of RT 66 are pretty bleak these days. I found out Novak makes an adaptor to put a Dana 300 behind the 480 trans. That way I can keep the pass side drop axle.

Now back to the normally scheduled build thread . . .

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
1979 Chero: "Madness"
1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
2001 XJ : Driver 1998 XJ 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

"Madness" build here:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280