• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

Closed knuckle inner and outer oil seal replacement-write up

One of the easiest (and cheapest) routine maintenance procedure that is often neglected is the replacement of the inner oil seal, and the outer felt seal.

After 30+ years of service, the factory seals in your axle are junk. The felt seals on my axle where virtually non-existent, and the inner oil seals had large chunks missing from them.

As you can see, the felt seal isn't in very good shape. The inner seal is just as bad.

I bought my two kits (one kit does one side) off e-bay for a total of $26 including shipping. Each kit includes one inner oil seal, one felt wipe, and two retaining ring halves. Note, the retaining ring halves do not come painted. I painted mine prior to taking the following picture.

Contents of one kit.

First, you must first remove the old seals.
    To start, remove the 8 bolts that hold the two retaining ring halves to the knuckle. These take a ½? wrench. Once the retaining ring halves have been removed, pull/scrape the old felt seals off the knuckle (you may or may not ahve to make a cut inthe felt seal to remove it over the axle tube). Then pry the old inner oil seal (wear gloves for this part-trust me on this) from the grove it sets into. You must bend the oil seal in order to slip it off of the axle tube. Clean the area in which the seal and felt sit against. Your knuckle will leak once the inner oil seal is removed, so have a coffee can ready.

The old seals, and retaining ring halves

In order to get the new seals over the axle tube, you must make a horizontal cut on both seals. For the felt seal, make this cut on one of the flat sides. For the inner oil seal, you must make the cut through the rubber visible at the gap in the bonded metal ring. You must install the seals so the cuts are in the 12 o'clock position, or your knuckles will leak.

Make your cut on one of the flat sides like this

Make your cut through the rubber at this gap in the metal ring

Bend the inner seal just enough to slip it over the axle tube. I found it easier to seat the bottom first. Once the seal is seated, it will want to pop out at the top (at the cut), don?t worry about this, the retaining rings will push and hold it into place. The metal ring is the inners side of the seal, and goes against the knuckle.

The new seal ready to be put in place.

Then slide the felt seal over the tube and place the rings over it. Position the rings so the split runs horizontally. Replace the 8 bolts and hand tighten them. Do the other side and you are done. This took me about 20 minutes.

The new seals and rings bolted in place
    Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

• Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

Nice, I need to do that on my 68. Good writeup.
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• H Callaway
      350 Buick
      • Aug 13, 2005

Originally posted by Gambler68
      Nice, I need to do that on my 68. Good writeup.
      I agree, many thanks for the write up. I am getting ready to do this and it is great to see your shots an descriptions.
      900 plus pictures not in any order taken during restoration. (Plus a couple of assorted pictures that down loaded.)
      http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j289/hcallaway/

Comment

• grimgaunt
        350 Buick
        • Aug 06, 2002

what am I looking for on EBAY ? Are these generic parts or specific ?

thx

ps - It might be helpful if you could send a link to the auction (if its there - I believe completed auctions stick around for 30 days or so)

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

Just type in "closed knuckle". They will come up. The seller sells them as one lot of two kits. They will fit any closed knuckle Jeep axle. I.E. Dana 25, Dana 27, Dana 30 and the Dana 44.
          Thomas Russell
          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• oldsixinarow
            232 I6
            • Oct 27, 2005

I agree...nice write-up Thom. Now I have to do it on my truck...the driver's side is leaking a bit. Unless, of course, you just want to take a ride down and do it for me
            Roy
            1972 J2000 Thriftside
            Gathering Parts for a 4.0/AX15 swap
            1997 ZJ Laredo 4.0 DD

Comment

• KaiserMan
              I got the Willys....
              • Jun 21, 2005

Don't temp me! I do want to see your truck in person. And there isn't a much better way to spend time then wrenching on a FSJ!

BTW, did you see my axle swap thread? They are finally in!
              Thomas Russell
              1971 Gladiator

Comment

• J20 Good Humor
                232 I6
                • Feb 02, 2004

Thanks for the nice pictures and a great write up.
                This will go in my file.
                Ron on Whidbey

Comment

• oldsixinarow
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 27, 2005

OK, so I searched for these seals and the only kit that comes up has parts that look similar, but are different, than the ones you pictured. At the risk of starting a stampede to this vendor's door, can you give us the link to the parts you bought? Awesome. And remember, the more helpful you are, the more likely you are to actually get the pleasure of putting them in too
                  Roy
                  1972 J2000 Thriftside
                  Gathering Parts for a 4.0/AX15 swap
                  1997 ZJ Laredo 4.0 DD

Comment

• KaiserMan
                    I got the Willys....
                    • Jun 21, 2005

I just check and the seller doens't have any up right now. Here is a link to the sellers "other items" page. Just keep checking. He had about 6 kits listed, and he most likely has more.

Thomas Russell
                    1971 Gladiator

Comment

• H Callaway
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 13, 2005

Knuckle Lubrication.

What mixture did you use to refill the axle knuckles? This is off the NOVAK web page.

Lubrication
                      Use of the proper lubricant for the steering knuckle bearings is very important. The lubrication section of the Jeep Service Manual specifies Universal Joint Lubricant #0 for winter and #1 for summer. This material is a semi-liquid grease. Unfortunately, this semi-liquid grease has not been available for some time. An acceptable substitute can be made by mixing chassis lube grease with SAE 140 gear lube until you have the consistency of cold molasses. A half pint of this should be pumped into each knuckle housing with a grease gun. A putty knife can be used to load it into the grease gun. Any lubricant thinner than that described above will leak from the knuckle seal. It will also work its way out into the hub area and contaminate the brake shoes. DO NOT use SAE 90 or 140 gear lube by itself as it is not the proper lubricant.
                      900 plus pictures not in any order taken during restoration. (Plus a couple of assorted pictures that down loaded.)
                      http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j289/hcallaway/

Comment

• joe
                        • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by H Callaway
                        What mixture did you use to refill the axle knuckles? .
                        I've owned more closed knuckle 4x4's than open and I've always just used conventional non-exotic non-fancy additive plain ol' u-joint grease in mine and never had a prob. Once the axle joint spins a bit it thins the grease just fine even in winter and yes Noak is right if you use gear lube the joints will pee all over themselves. BTDT but only once.
                        Don't by just one grease cartridge either, buy a few...the bells hold a lot.
                        joe
                        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• KaiserMan
                          I got the Willys....
                          • Jun 21, 2005

I've read that straight grease, and even "knuckle pudding" may not lubricate the king pin bearings properly, so I used 600wt gear oil.
                          I've checked for leaks, and so far everything is nice and dry. 600wt is some thick ****.
                          Thomas Russell
                          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                            Señor Jackhead
                            • Aug 21, 2002

I know we will need to do this on the Camper Special. It has a HD 44 which I believe is only different than standard 44 in the outer axels and hub assembly for 8 lug wheels. Does this sound right? So, this kit will work for a HD44? Anyone know? Thanks!
                            Flint
                            Ran when parked.
                            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• KaiserMan
                              I got the Willys....
                              • Jun 21, 2005

Flint, that seal replacement is done on a D44HD from a 68 or 69 Camper truck.

Only differances on the c/k 44HD is the wheel hub, locking hub, brakes, outer bearing lock nut, maybe the outer wheel bearing. It's the same size as the inner, where most are smaller. I don't remember if my 5 lug D44 is the same way.
                              Thomas Russell
                              1971 Gladiator

Comment

Working...
                              X