International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 08-17-2019, 08:57 AM
232 I6

Wire broke on Ignition Coil.... help please

So my 87 GW ran fine yesterday and when I went to crank it up today it was running VERY ROUGH and then would cut out.

If I gave it gas it would keep running but rough and then would die. It smells like it was running super rich. When I opened the hood I see this wire has broken. I'm assuming that this is the culprit, but how do I get it connected or find the name of the part to buy?

Gone But Not Forgotten:
1993 Jeep XJ Cherokee
2000 Jeep TJ Wrangler
Old 08-17-2019, 09:18 AM
out of order

that is just a wire for the condenser which eliminates ignition noise, it wouldn't cause the issue you describe
Old 08-19-2019, 05:52 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
that is just a wire for the condenser which eliminates ignition noise, it wouldn't cause the issue you describe

You are correct sir and so wise Babywag!

So on Saturday I went out an found the part at NAPA and bought it, in line with "it's broke and should probably be fixed"

So for those of you curious the part number listed on the Condenser is "#3229510 648" and NAPA calls it an Alternator Capacitor and their part number is ECH M036

Well I had to get it ordered since they didn't have it in stock and I should have it tomorrow. I spent last night looking up the part and trying to learn more about what it does and from what I found it appears to control a lot of radio interference and no one seemed to to have the same problem that I did.

So I went back out to crank up the Jeep and see if I could better figure out what is wrong and the damn think fired up and ran fine! WTH!?!

So I let it idle for a while and then drove it around the neighborhood and then everything is wonderful again.

It ran great again this morning to work and I have no idea what the problem was Saturday morning.

Gone But Not Forgotten:
1993 Jeep XJ Cherokee
2000 Jeep TJ Wrangler