International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Master Mechanic

I have a nice 1973 Wagoneer runs great. 360AMC, TH400 and Quadratrac. Dana 30 or 27 closed nuckle front end, 44 rear, both axles five lug.
I just purchased a 1974 cherokee for parts (same motor trans, xcase). It happens to have D44 6 lug axles front and rear. I want to get rid of my 73's Dana 30. Does anyone know if D44 front end of the 1974 cherokee would be a bolt in swap for my 1973 wagoneer? I have the breaks,master cylinder, steering box and all the parts (yep the entire 74) to swap over, and know i would need to do the rear as well to keep the same tires. Any one out there have done this thanks! DAVE
'86 GW "Warhorse:" 401, T-18, dana 20, Edelbrock intake manifold, Comp X-treme 4x4 cam. Dana 60 rear, Trac-loc, 3.73s, 33x12.5 Goodyear MTR's, HEI, Rusty's 6" lift, ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA#VII, KG6KUV
Old 02-21-2004, 08:12 PM

iv done it, but with a 77 wag.

well since u got the complete 74 its just a matter of time. get rid of both the 5lug diffaxles on the 73 and replace them with the 6lugs off the 74.

replace the brake booster and the master cylinder on the 73 with the same units from the 74. also use the 74s proportioning valve that is bolted to the frame rail.

remove the 73s pitman arm and replace with the unit off the 74. the steering rods from the 74 will now bolt to ur 73s steering gear.

the front driveshaft MAY have to be change becuz the front d30 yoke is smaller than the yoke on the front d44.

keep the 11x2 brakes (drums, backing plates, etc) from the 73s OE diffaxles and sell to early CJ owners.
(Soon to be TBI)
"If it aint leaking, it's empty!"
Old 02-22-2004, 05:18 PM

Yes thank you for the info. This was from Zman, I forgot to log off my buddy when I posted.
Went to pick up that 74 parts donor, four people and two trucks could not get it on the tow dolly. I know your thinking amature, but it was a darned time! The rains kind of made it muddy too. Anyway I have to travel for two weeks at work so hopefully that jeep does not dissapear before I can get it again. Thanks
DAVE Zman