• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunbeam Fanatic
    232 I6
    • Dec 19, 2009

4 speed Column Change ????

Hi All,

I'm fitting a 4 speed transmission and I'd like to retain the column shift.

I'm sure I've read that a GM Van of some type has a compatible 4sp column shift, is that correct and if so which one do I need?

As an alternative is there any way to convert the OEM 3sp column change to 4sp?

Many thanks for any help.
    1979 Cherokee Chief 2 door
    Original RHD for the UK market
    AMC401 - GM4L60E (uprated)
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Never heard of a US car/truck with a column mount 4 spd. Not saying they didn't exist but I'm 71 and never even heard of one. To get column linkage on a 4 spd it'll need to be a side loader trans not a top loader 4 spd. You really want a column shifter on a 4 spd? I had a 59 Fiat Sedan with that step up. What a sloppy mess. Waiting at a light never knew if you were in first or fourth till you let out the clutch.
    To get a column 4 spd with the shifter on the left side(if they exist)I suspect your best bet would be in England, Oz or even Japan?
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Assuming you're referring to a 4 speed auto?

I would look for just about anything GM with a 700R4/4L60 and column shift. Our columns are just saginaw columns, more or less the same thing GM used with some slightly modified brackets.

Maybe a mid to late 80s van/truck/blazer/etc.?

aa
      1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Cecil14
        Assuming you're referring to a 4 speed auto?

I would look for just about anything GM with a 700R4/4L60 and column shift. Our columns are just saginaw columns, more or less the same thing GM used with some slightly modified brackets.

Maybe a mid to late 80s van/truck/blazer/etc.?

aa
        Doh! Wasn't thinking AT's. If that's the case just get a GM column from the years your trans was used.
        joe

Comment

• Sunbeam Fanatic
          232 I6
          • Dec 19, 2009

Originally posted by joe
          Doh! Wasn't thinking AT's. If that's the case just get a GM column from the years your trans was used.
          I'm in the UK so there aren't many lying around over here, I'll have to see if I can find one in the US and get it shipped!

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Sunbeam, just a thought before you go to a bunch of work and expense.
            I'm guessing you're going with a 4 spd AT swap for the OD gear prolly in hopes of better gas mileage???
            If your 1980 has stock axle gearing 2.73 or optional 3.31's an OD gear will be useless. The AT will constantly be hunting and selecting 3rd gear cause 4th(OD) will drop the RPM's too low to maintain power sufficient to move the car. In OD you'll just have your foot farther into the throttle to maintain RPM and speed. Stock 2.73 axle gears are already really high. Adding an OD gear might be OK if you live on the hopefully flat Autobahn but for real world road use you won't gain a thing for the time and money spent on the swap.
            joe

Comment

• Sunbeam Fanatic
              232 I6
              • Dec 19, 2009

Originally posted by joe
              Sunbeam, just a thought before you go to a bunch of work and expense.
              I'm guessing you're going with a 4 spd AT swap for the OD gear prolly in hopes of better gas mileage???
              If your 1980 has stock axle gearing 2.73 or optional 3.31's an OD gear will be useless. The AT will constantly be hunting and selecting 3rd gear cause 4th(OD) will drop the RPM's too low to maintain power sufficient to move the car. In OD you'll just have your foot farther into the throttle to maintain RPM and speed. Stock 2.73 axle gears are already really high. Adding an OD gear might be OK if you live on the hopefully flat Autobahn but for real world road use you won't gain a thing for the time and money spent on the swap.
              Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info. To be honest my Cherokee will get very little use so gas mileage isn't a big concern, I just thought the OD would give more relaxed cruising on our motorways (when I do use it) as the speed limit is 70mph (although most folk seem to drive at 80mph).

It turns out my Cherokee is actually a 1979, I'm fitting a 401 in place of the 360 and a built 4L60e. The Dana 44s have been stripped and the gears are actually 4.10, so I'm hoping everything will work out ok.

Frame is currently being restored with a bunch of new parts and a 4" lift, once a bit more progress has been made I'll update my build thread but I really want to keep the column change so need to find a way to sort out the detents inside the column so I can select all the gears.

Cheers, SF

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Sunbeam Fanatic
                It turns out my Cherokee is actually a 1979, I'm fitting a 401 in place of the 360 and a built 4L60e. The Dana 44s have been stripped and the gears are actually 4.10, so I'm hoping everything will work out ok.
                Yeah an OD trans w/ 4.10's will work nicely for hwy rpms.
                joe

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

iapexl8r has a 4l60 (not sure if it's an E or not) behind his EFI'ed 401 and a factory column that was installed by Wesdog. If you PM him, he would probably be willing to take pictures of the install...
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Sunbeam Fanatic
                    232 I6
                    • Dec 19, 2009

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                    iapexl8r has a 4l60 (not sure if it's an E or not) behind his EFI'ed 401 and a factory column that was installed by Wesdog. If you PM him, he would probably be willing to take pictures of the install...
                    Thank you, that's great, will do

Comment

Working...
                    X