International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 04-25-2019, 08:43 PM
230 Tornado

'64 J300 Project Farmtruck

Hi Everybody!

I wanted to share my first Jeep project to aid others and leach some knowledge off of those of you who have been at this for as long as I've been alive.

I picked up a 1964 J300 about a month ago and have been slowly getting into it. It's the first Jeep that I've ever owned after wanting one since like 8th grade and I'm pumped to get to get my hands dirty again. It runs and drives (more on that later) and I don't have the room to do any large changes to it (e.g. drivetrain swap) so it's mostly fixing little things to make it a bit more daily driver friendly. I bought it off a farmer in Indiana and given it's age and use it's in pretty decent condition. The frame is great, the previous owner (PO) had the brakes redone last year, steering is as tight as it can be, and mechanically it's pretty sound. It's also fun because the company that I work for produces material that goes into the new Gladiator. Anyway, onto photos!

Took this one the day I went to look at it. This was after I stood on the brake instead of the clutch; killing the engine and getting it stuck in-between gears. The truck clutch and 3 on the tree were totally foreign to my Subaru driving self.

The PO worked for a utility company so he grabbed a bunch of signs and patched the large holes in the floor with them. I dig the look but it would be executed better. Can't do a great job of fixing it until I get a welder though.

Basically the whole interior needs to be washed out. It's grungy.

So that's the introduction. Now for the bad:
- Not a single gauge works, not even the added pod
- The PO replaced the generator with a 3-wire alternator and I don't think it's charging the battery
- Interior is beat
- Turn signal stalk is a pair of vicegrips
- Farm fixes
- HVAC needs repaired
- Electrical system tune-up
- Road sign floor
- Rusty tailgate
- 1 broken shock in rear
- Leaks oil from everywhere
- (I'm sure there's lots that I haven't discovered)

My Plans:
- Make it as mechanically & electrically sound as possible
- Update to modern era as much as possible (function over form)
- Swap entire drivetrain (eventually). The tornado is cool but woefully underpowered and low on replacement parts. Could go with a 4.2 or a 4.0 or a Merc diesel or a hemi to keep it true or piss everyone off and put in a 2JZ.
- Make the interior decent with a radio and door panels and real knobs and better seatbelts
- LEAVE THE PATINA
- Take it to car shows, go camping in it, have fun

Onto me asking for advice. On the topic of the charging system; when I got the truck registered I had to get the battery fully charged the day before and then installed it the morning (started right up though). When leaving the BMV I barely got it started and the next morning the truck wouldn't even turn over. I've had the battery tested twice and the alternator tested once and both passed. I traced the alt wiring and it appears to be hooked up like the image below with two exceptions. I can't find a dummy light and there's a ballast resistor in between the ignition and the started solenoid.

I don't know much about ballast resistors but I think it's needed since the ignition is a points style(?) and I believe the dummy light can be replaced with an in-line resistor like this one based on this article. Is that correct? Has anyone ever done that before? I'm considering not adding a dummy light because I don't know how it would fit in the cluster since there's a rudimentary circuit board and that I may just upgrade to a digital dash. I'd rather just start out with something that, in theory, should work and has those modern conveniences than trouble shoot old gauges. The old gauges are much more cool though.

Anyway, you've made it this far. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I'll try to keep this updated as stuff gets done, no promises though. I want to get it decent and then take it to the Toledo Jeep Fest in August since I'm in the Cincinnati area.

Last edited by Miner_Jeepy : 04-27-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: The pictures could be seen from space!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:45 PM
230 Tornado

Oh no, those images didn't automatically resize like I'm use to. Uh, I'll have to fix that tomorrow. Apologies.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:49 PM
304 AMC

That is as cool as heck. It looks like it might be vintage gold in color. Or close to it. I can't remember the name of the color that is similar. Your circuit board looks pretty good. Hopefully the pins are not loose.
Partsdude4x4 has boards and the plugs along with lots of other parts. I have spotted some of the gauges on Ebay lately. Same with the cluster surround. There is a Parma hobby paint that is the exact color of the needles. I don't have the number right in front of me.

Really neat truck. Thanks for posting.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 04-29-2019, 11:10 AM
230 Tornado

Miner,
Great truck! Love the tires and wheels.

I just put a 3 wire alternator in my '66 J3000 and the diagram you listed is correct. Not sure about the ballast resistor. Is the original starter still in use, or is it a newer gear reduction starter? The dummy light is on the instrument cluster, just like the "OIL" light. Can't read yours in the photo, but mine says "AMP". Your instrument panel is just slightly different than mine.

Before you do anything else, get the truck running and put a multimeter set to DCV across the battery terminals to see what you're getting. Should be over 14 V while the truck is running. If not, start tracing the wiring.

Make sure you disconnect the battery before digging into any wiring anywhere on the truck! Never know what has been done.

Hydraulic clutch is nice. How are the brakes? I put a 7" dual diaphragm vacuum booster and dual pot master cylinder on mine. World of difference and having two brake circuits is a lot more safe.
Looks like a new radiator. I wonder if the 6 cylinder and V8 use the same? I have a small leak at the top of mine. Haven't pulled it out yet to fix it, but a replacement would be a nice option.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:15 PM
327 Rambler

cool truck
love the light rust on body.
dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 04-29-2019, 01:42 PM

Nice find for an OH project truck. Pretty sound start. Body work is the big time and money eater. Looks more neglected than abused/modified. Staying rural on the farm and off the salted pavement prolly saved it's life. The 230 OHC motor is good daily driver motor IMHO. Yeah they are are oil leakers. Bad motor mount design and a stretchy mile long timing chain but if you keep up on the maint run a long time. If you're lax on maint you risk eating the cam and cam bed. DON'T DO THAT! The orig wiring was weak when new and worse if butchered for modifications. I suggest losing the old inline fuse wiring harness and upgrade with an aftermarket harness w/fuse box from Easywire or Painless etc.
Cool project, you'll have fun with it.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:12 PM
258 I6

Far out. Watching...
'19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21
Old 04-29-2019, 09:23 PM
232 I6

I love it. Please put new tires on it before you plan on driving more than 15mph. We all start somewhere with our rigs, take it one step at a time. I would get the charging issue resolved and then you can move on to something that brings you joy.

Fleet Fox
Old 04-30-2019, 05:54 AM
230 Tornado

Re-read your post. To clarify, you already have a dummy light for the alt and oil sender in your instrument panel, you're just missing the bulb holders (two empty holes in the back of the panel). I think I had to order the bulb holders through Napa. I believe I found 5/8" holders local, the ones you need are smaller, maybe 1/2".
Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 AM
232 I6

This farm rig is sweet! Can't wait to see more as you come along, definitely subing.

I agree with Brly, easiest way to see if your alt is charging is to test the battery terminals with a DMM or DCV. My '77 Wagoneer has butchered wiring all over the place, disconnect the battery and be careful when digging through it.

Cheers!

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 AM
232 I6

Miner, that's a great looking truck you snagged. It looks nice and solid, and the thin surface dusting looks like it would clean up fairly easily.

Having grabbed a 70 Wagoneer about 7 or months ago, I now have the bug to find a j-truck too. I'd like to get one to keep up with my family in the Cleveland area...would be fun to have on summer visits!

Looking forward to see what you do with yours, welcome!
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD