International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Master Mechanic

awsome build. i love the way that frame looks rolling without the body on it.

'85 Wagoneer

YES i WILL be in ouray in 2013!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook574
Resbum, This is one of the best threads I have ever read! Well worth the wait on the pictures
X2

At first I thought you'd put the radiator in front of the valance, but behind the grille.

Sweet work!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resbum
Yeah, sorry for the unintentional tease. I use to prefer imageshack over photobucket for media hosting, but it has really been giving me problems for the last six months. More than half the photos I had placed in an album for this thread were currupted and I had to recreate the whole album.

Anyways, this is where the truck is at right now. I'm currently making the track bars and the cab is out getting the sheetmetal work done. I'll post more when I have something to update.

Resbum

P.S.- I've documented the build with over 700 pictures, so far. As time permits, I could do detailed writeups of certain parts of the build if anyone wants more info.

It nice to see someone doing a buildup like this who is actually doing it, instead of paying to have the bulk of the work done and passing it off as their own. I can only wish I was making the kind of progress you're making. Mine tends to run in spurts, and tiny little spurts at that.
94 Cherokee, 31's
68 J-3000, 232, 3 on the tree (under the knife soon)
78 J10, 360, Q/T, auto. Sacrificial lamb.
78 J20, 360, Q/T auto. Future unknown.
75 J20, 360, Q/T, auto. Reprieved sacrifice.
73 J20, 232, D20, 3spd. Axle sacrifice
Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
P.S.- I've documented the build with over 700 pictures, so far. As time permits, I could do detailed writeups of certain parts of the build if anyone wants more info.
I'm going to be selfish and ask for more detail on your mod to fit a larger radiator. I have one rig with a 454 and one with a GM diesel, and both have no reserve when it comes to cooling capacity.

Thanks!!

Brad
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreening
It nice to see someone doing a buildup like this who is actually doing it, instead of paying to have the bulk of the work done and passing it off as their own. I can only wish I was making the kind of progress you're making. Mine tends to run in spurts, and tiny little spurts at that.

Austin 4X4 your avatar intrigued me so I checked out your build thread. Pretty freaking cool. The only way you can go bigger is to make it a dually.

Hook574- OCD? Man, I laughed my a** off when I read that. Yeah, there might be some of that going on.

tgreening actually kind of hit on it. 34 years ago I got my first project. It was a motorcycle that came to me as a frame and 3 boxes of parts. I was 14 and my dad bought me some basic tools and helped me get through it. For the next 33 years I was never able to do a project the way I really wanted to. Life, time, work, and finances always had to come first. Every motorcycle, autoXing, and 4X4 project always had to be a compromise.

I'm 48 now, divorced, and retired from the military back in March 2011. I decided after 30 years of working nobody but God was going to tell me what to do for a year or two. This project has been the first use of that time. I wander to the shop every day. Sometimes I work on it 3 hours, other times, like yesterday, I work on it 13 hours. Now that I've committed to going to the Ouray KOA Jeep Meet in July I see more of the 13 hour days in my near future.

I originally was just going to rebuild the Buick 350 and Turbo 400 that came in the truck, but the trans was a basket case and it's kinda morf'ed into what you see now. If I'd been married when I started this I'd be divorced now. I count myself extremely lucky that all the pieces fell into place that's allowed me to do this. With all my hobbies I've taken a lot of knowledge from forums because others made the effort to post info. If anyone can learn things from this thread it's just my way of paying that effort forward.

Resbum

Last edited by Resbum : 02-12-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:10 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by budojeepr
I'm going to be selfish and ask for more detail on your mod to fit a larger radiator. I have one rig with a 454 and one with a GM diesel, and both have no reserve when it comes to cooling capacity.

Thanks!!

Brad

No worries. I actually documented that part pretty well because I wanted to be able to revert the changes if I found it wouldn't work. When I do the next update posts I'll include one on the radiator mod.

Resbum

Last edited by Resbum : 02-12-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
No worries. I actually documented that part pretty well because I wanted to be able to revert the changes if I found it wouldn't work. When I do the next update posts I'll include one on the radiator mod.

Resbum

Thanks (and thanks for your service!). I did some digging on ImageShack. This picture answered it for me...

Mind sharing the source for that lovely radiator?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Mind sharing the source for that lovely radiator?

My thoughts exactly. Congrats on your retirment, I'm very jealous
Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 PM

This is the radiator we put into a friend's M715 with a 6BT.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-380328/

Last edited by Mikel : 02-12-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I got the Willys....

Mikel, can you tell us about the 6 lug wheels but GM hubs on that M715? Is it all custom?
J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
1963 Gladiator J300 Townside 350/TH400

Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserMan
Mikel, can you tell us about the 6 lug wheels but GM hubs on that M715? Is it all custom?

Good eye! That's a 1986 GM dana 60 axle. I made 2" spacers out of 1018 steel (to bring the wms to wms width from 69 to 73") with the eight lug pattern on one side and the six lug on the other. With hydroboost, truck stops really well. Parts are dirt cheap and available everywhere.

Gearing is 4.10s. The rear was regeared to 4.10s as well. With the Cummins, it's not undergeared at all.

You should come down to Plainville some day

Last edited by Mikel : 02-12-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 PM
King Browless

Quote:
Tell us more about those wheels.
What brand, model and size those are?
What size tire is mounted on those wheels?
1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrodoh
...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
... Mind sharing the source for that lovely radiator?

It's a Flex-a-lite: Model http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/58295.html
Here's the ebay store I got it at.
http://stores.ebay.com/cascadesalescompany
I got it for about half price. I am extremely wary of ebay purchases, but the seller described it as a Flex-a-lite that passed all functional quality checks for performance, but was blemished in the manufacturing process. I noticed they were in Milton, WA, about 15 miles from me, so I asked the seller if I could pick it up to save shipping and they agreed. I drove over there and it turns out to be the Flex-a-lite manufacturing plant. They use that ebay store front to sell their blemished goods. My blemishes turned out to be 20 slightly bent cooling fins (While fabricating I also noticed it's about 1/4" out of square). Not bad for 1/2 price. While I was there I picked up a remote filter kit, trans cooler, oil cooler, and power steering/hydraboost cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIG Smith
Tell us more about those wheels.
What brand, model and size those are?
What size tire is mounted on those wheels?
The wheels are 17X10 Weld Racing forged aluminum wheels I bought from a craigslister who wanted to step up to 18" rims. I got them for $200. He also turned out to be the guy who told me of an excellent Cummins mechanic who will help me do the engine when I get to that point of the build. God bless craigslist.

The tires are 35X12.5-17 Hankook Dynapro M/T's that I had siped. I never realized how limited the selection is for Load Range E M/T's until I went looking for them. My 5th wheel has a gross weight of 18,000lbs and a max tongue weight of 2,800lbs. Although my truck will only haul it for maybe 2% of its life it still needs to be able to do it. I read hundreds of customer reviews online before commiting to these tires. They get great reviews from people who haul heavy. Luckily, they get good reviews for also being quiet and how they wear.

I've mentioned craigslist a few times. I'm barely able to afford this project. My ego does not require that I have the latest high dollar brand new bling items on my truck. Function comes first, form comes second. If I can get it on craigslist and it's in good shape and doesn't appear stolen I have no trouble buying it used. I also do a lot of price checking for new parts. I have no issue with getting vendors to price match against each other to drive the price down. Brent, at BJ's Offroad, has been great at helping me out with price matching. He has also been understanding when I can buy something cheaper somewhere else.

Resbum

Last edited by Resbum : 02-15-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Great thread! I just subsribed. I am working on a similar project except I am using a Wagoneer instead of a J truck and I am using a NV4500 instead of the auto, other wise everything else looks the same. I hope mine looks half as nice as yours looks. Keep it up.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

6bt

wow
360\5-SPEED GRANNY\DANA300\ DANA 44s
DETROIT \POWERLOCK 4.10
37" tires, and LOTS other stuff
77 J-10 401\Q trac "Thadeus"
64 Stude Avanti 289 R2---ALIVE!
91 Dodge W350 5.9 Cummins
64 Avanti#2(R1)...Under construction
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
It's a Flex-a-lite: Model http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/58295.html
Here's the ebay store I got it at.
http://stores.ebay.com/cascadesalescompany
Perfect, thanks for the info.

You got me thinking again about putting in an intercooler... ...although the location might be in the way of my (as yet nonexistent) A/C evaporator.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Master Mechanic

Nice work! Can't wait to see the next update. Subscribed.

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12
Old 02-15-2012, 10:14 AM
327 Rambler

I want to thank you all for the positive feedback so far. I'm also open to suggestions and negative feedback, as long as it comes in a constructive manner.

ross80truck- You should start a build thread. I'd like to see your project.

Quote:
Perfect, thanks for the info.

You got me thinking again about putting in an intercooler... ...although the location might be in the way of my (as yet nonexistent) A/C evaporator.

budojeepr- Everyone has AC, but onboard compressed air is a little less common. There's about 2" between the radiator and the intercooler for the AC evaporator, if you really want it. Me, ...? I'm going with onboard compressed air. I'm going to turn the AC compressor that came on the engine into my air compressor. I have an old LP tank for my storage tank. I'm planning on mounting my trans, oil, and power steering coolers between the radiator and intercooler.

I will say this. Doing the radiator mod was relatively straight forward. The intercooler mod took a lot more thinking, mod'ing, fabricating to finally work.

I had some extra time this AM so I decided to post the radiator mods now, while its on topic. That way people don't have to go searching for it later in this thread. There's a couple pics that show the amount of cutting that went into getting the intercooler to fit.

Resbum
Old 02-15-2012, 10:32 AM
327 Rambler

Large Radiator Body Modifications

The very first thing I did was establish centerline between the frame and front valance. See the little red dots in the pic. I used my plumb bob and marked the frame and sheetmetal with punch marks so there was no risk of losing them. Since I'd removed the front fenders there was absolutely nothing to help keep that reference without the marks. Notice the green arrows on the right side. That represents the imaginary vertical line I used when cutting off sheetmetal to make the intercooler fit.

See the red dots and green arrows.

The red line shows where I cut the pillar off the front sheetmetal. You can also see the intercooler pipe sticking through the sheetmetal. By the time you move the pillars outboard a couple inches they start getting pretty close to it. I also rounded off the base of the pillar(red line) to make sure there was plenty of clearance.

This is how much you need to open up the pillars

This pic really shows just how much sheetmetal needs to be removed to get the intercooler to fit. I still need to fabricate the sheetmetal that'll support the base of the intercooler

Old 02-15-2012, 10:47 AM
327 Rambler

I used a piece of 3X4 rectangle stock to make the new mounts. I cut it approximately 3" long, then cut it on the diagonal along the long side. See yellow line. The cutoff piece then became the mount on the other side. I used my welding magnets to position the new mounts along the top of the old mounts, then tacked them in place. Using my 4' level/straight edge I then scribed a line through the old holes centerline on to the new mounts. Red line. Notice the scribe mark is actually back from the red line. That's to account for the sheetmetal that was left on the pillar when I cut it off. The green arrow is my new mounting hole location.

I leveled everything and used blocks under the radiator to make sure there was clearance for body/frame flex.

I clamped angle iron (red lines) to the new mounts to position/support the front sheetmetal properly

Then mounted everything together

I think I hit all the major points to consider.

Resbum

Last edited by Resbum : 02-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.