International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 01-27-2008, 10:27 PM
FSJ Maniac

Starter Motor Kaputnik...a bit long, but fixed

What a kwazy weekend...I could digress but I won't . At any rate, one thing that happened was the starter in the Wagon fried out. I was running from place to place (girlfriend working a contract on a new home and having to get us to my daughter's basketball game before the ex blew a fuse )...loaded everyone in the Jeep, flipped the ignition and drove away while everyone was chattering about where we were, where we were going and finding something to eat along the way. I noticed that the brake light was still on so I was trying to figure that out while being distracted by everything else. Brakes worked, check. E-brake wasn't on, check. OK wtf is going on? A leak? At the next stop I stuck my head out the door and nothing was leaking...driving along and a noticable metallic pinging starts up. This is getting nutso...went to roll down the windows and none of them worked. Meanwhile everyone else is still chattering about the time and getting lunch before Jessie's game so I'm still a bit distracted while at the same time trying to diagnose wtf is wrong with this Jeep! That's when I noticed the tilt in the ignition switch was a bitt too far forward. Doggone thing had stuck partially in the start position and that's why the brake light was on and the windows didn't work.

We stopped to grab something, running late of course, and when we jumped back into the Wagon the starter wasn't kicking in. I thought *&(#@(*...jumped out with a hammer and asked the g/f to turn the key while I tapped around the starter and the drive while underneath (a little nervous since I bypassed the NSS a while back ) Got it to kick over, got to the basketball game a couple minutes late, listened to the ex beat me up over that . It was hit and miss with the starting but better to be safe I figured so long long story short, I went out today and picked up a new starter. Frickin Chryco/Jeep engineers and their Mitsubishi starters...9/16 bolt on one end; 15mm on the other

The "ya never know when you're having a good day" part of this (remind me to tell you the story about that quote) is when I finally got the original starter...all 134000 miles old of it with a seized bolt...off it sounded like broken glass inside of it. The starter gear was flopping around like a limp fish inside the motor. I told Kendra we were a ticking time bomb with that thing and it was a good thing it went the way it did 'cause it could just as easily grenaded and taken out the flex plate. She was like "I love you but I have no idea what you're talking about"

Sorry to ramble...that was just one tiny piece of this 48 hour period and I guess I'm just letting it out.

New reman'd starter - $110
Avoiding an expensive and huge hassle - priceless

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL

Last edited by scantar : 01-27-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantar
She was like "I love you but I have no idea what you're talking about"

MAHA
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

Uhhmn, it prolly isnt a 9/16, it is a 14mm. The mitsu starter in my old 88 outlasted the original engine and eventually the entire jeep. Never had that kind of service from the Ford starters. I consider the Mitsu to be one of the few improvements to the end run Wags
Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 AM
FSJ Maniac

You're probably right on the 14mm vs 9/16...still don't know why they used two sizes. Other than they have that perverse sense of humor where they do this and laugh for years as they think of us r&r-ing our starters.

Even though they cost 2-1/2 times more, I agree that the Mitsu's are better than the F*rd starters. These turn much faster and they weigh half as much...and when you're flatbacking it on gravel that weight loss is a big bonus!

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Rabble Rouser

geez your jeep is pure drama!

I love how mine is all well behaved..put a passenger in it...all goes to h3ll!!

We had to pull my starter on the side of the trail in Moab, after I gave it a mud bath. Unfun. If I ever have to buy one, it'll be a gear reduction unit.
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 01-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Señor Jackhead

Steve, wow man. I can relate to so much of that story (in a past life)! Just not with the mitsu. Mine was still original when the 360 was yanked at 250K miles. Now it is in my dad's. You are so lucky!

Ryan - can you get a high torque to even replace the FoMoCo starter?
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s and a few Evil Twin mods, http://eviltwinfab.com and a few TT's Fabworks mods, http://www.ttsfabworks.com
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 AM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
geez your jeep is pure drama!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Rabble Rouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Steve, wow man. I can relate to so much of that story (in a past life)! Just not with the mitsu. Mine was still original when the 360 was yanked at 250K miles. Now it is in my dad's. You are so lucky!

Ryan - can you get a high torque to even replace the FoMoCo starter?

Mean Green Gear Reduction Starter
[MG-3209] $309.00
Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge
Vehicle: 1972-1987 AMC/Jeep 232 & 258 I6, AMC/Jeep 290, 304, 343, 360, 390 401 V8
Application: The Mean Green Gear Reduction Starter is the answer to all of your starter problems. The Mean Green Starter provides 100% more torque than an overweight stock starter. With a 4.4 to 1 gear reduction, roller bearing support, and an integrated solenoid, the Mean Green Starter can crank any engine no matter how high its static compression.
*Superior Design
*Easy Installation
*1/3 Smaller Than Stock
*100% More Cranking Power
*300,000 Mile Life Expectancy
*No More Hot Start Problems
*2 Year Unconditional Guarantee
Specs: The Mean Green Starter's 3" tool steel driveshaft is supported at both ends by bearings. The stainless steel pinion shaft is externally splined to mate with the larger diameter, internally splined driveshaft. Even the armature in the high-speed motor is supported at each end with bearings. All totaled, there are five bearings in the motor and gear assembly. That's one reason we include a 2-year Warranty at no charge on every starter, (Commercial and Racing applications carry a 1-year warranty). Another is the heat resistant, integrated solenoid which continues to operate even at extreme temperatures.
Mean Green Starter's are compact in design to provide additional oil pan and header clearance. The starters for Ford and AMC/Jeep applications can be rotated in 20' increments to allow for better header clearance. The GM starters have dual bolt patterns for both the 12 3/4" (153 tooth) and 14" (168 tooth) flywheels.
Hunter S. Thompson .