Rang a Stang
Thank you fr your kind comments, it has been an uphill struggle over the last 6 years as the J20 is at the back of the garage. I start at the front and by the time I get back there it is time to go back to work, then it all start over again. Groundhog Day, but Jeeping.
The second hand tailgate was not too bad but needed beating out and a new hinge making from scratch (I managed to get one, the local shop copied it for the other side aided by a parts book diagram). Now fits like factory and I am rather pleased having spent a lot of cash and time on it.
The details behind the rear window had to go, they strengthened the panel a little but were not matching to anything else. Metal plates were tacked on and then smoothed over during the blocking process. The rig now looks quite sleek.
There was very little rust at all and it require some careful tapping into shape before blocking. I think the lines came out fine. We copied the stripes from some internet pictures. I have some 3m black ultragrip tape to apply so the bumper step is not slippery.
When we got it finished (took 5 months) the brakes failed. I fabricated new lines from cupro nickel, including a new proportioning valve. The master cylinder is from an XJ Cherokee and required metric button flares on the lines, managed to make those on a double flare tool by flipping it over and freeforming, impressed the hell out of everyone. (I cheated, saw it on Youtube).
Started and drove, needs interior and electrics sorting. I have black canvas for a load cover with turnbuckle fasteners, need to sew it up. The bed is only 5' long but I want to keep rain and dirt out.
Bumper now finished and painted. made from steel tube and sheet to match a Type 2 bumper available in the day. May not be exact but we were working from pictures, not measurements, may be bigger than usual but it makes a nice place to sit and watch the world go by, can get the whole family on. Still needs some lights, number plate etc.
In primer mocked up and finished in paint.