International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 AM
327 Rambler

Thanks. Yep, I'll be installing a headliner. It's also getting the aluminum covered rubber and 1/4" neoprene insulation on all surfaces inside the cab.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 AM
327 Rambler

This had been eating at me since I started this build. For the build I've had three cabs and each one of them had the area behind the foot fresh air inlets PACKED with dirt and crud. They were all rusting out in that area, too.

This was my last chance to deal with it easily. So, this morning I cut access openings into that area from the outside. I'm glad I did now. I have really good access to get in there high and low and remove and convert as much rust as possible, then primer, seam seal, and paint like the rest of the cab. And, hopefully, never have a rust problem in there again.

When I'm done I'll either sheetmetal screw or rivet a cover back over the opening.

Looking up

Looking down
Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 AM

I like what you did on the cowl. What I did is to GREATLY enlarge the drain holes and then spray the inside with rust inhibiting paint.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM
327 Rambler

Thanks Mikel. Yep, while I work on it I'll be constantly looking for a solution to the problem.

Besides your method another thing I'll be looking at is possibly attaching a good size diameter hose that runs down to near the bottom of the fender. Then, once or twice a year reaming it out to keep it clean. That should also keep most any dirt from getting in through the bottom, if it was before. The passenger side foot inlet is now my heater air source so keeping the air as clean as possible is something I have to consider. Also, maybe install some kind of screening up near the windshield wiper arm shafts to help filter the big stuff from that end.

Last edited by Resbum : 03-01-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:53 PM
327 Rambler

Man, I cant believe I almost didn’t address those hidden areas. Now I am so glad I did. It only cost me one long day and $12.00 at Lowes to finish it. Now I can get back to painting.

I ended yesterday by sanding and getting every bit of rust scale out I could then hitting it with rust converter.

Today I hit Lowes and bought the parts to modify the drain. $12. I cut the larger diameter end off the 1" X 1" Female Adapters.

The rust converter cures black. I then hit every seam with Tiger seal

Marked the opening, then made it fit.

Last edited by Resbum : 03-03-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 PM
327 Rambler

I then used more seam sealer to level the floor and make the drain the lowest point.

Between the opening I made and the foot air opening I was able to hit every area front, back, high, and low with an extra thick coat of Raptor.

The drain opening is 3/4” and the hose is 7/8” inside diameter. I left it 6” long and will trim it once the body work is in place

Tomorrow when everything has dried I'll put some sealer on the covers and screw them in place.

Last edited by Resbum : 03-02-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM

Have you considered that your setup might get clogged with the leafs that tend to accumulate in the cowl?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM
327 Rambler

Yep. I'm working on that solution today while prep'ing the the upper cowl area for paint.

Right now I'm at the shop posting from my phone. As soon as I transfer some pictures I'll post showing the fix.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 AM
327 Rambler

I'm still working on the upper end of the cowl so no pictures of that yet.

Here's what the bottom looks like with the cover in place. I decided not to seal it for now so I can get in there, if needed. I'll seal it just before I mount the fenders.

I rotated this picture so it looks like it's upright.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 AM

Dang it Resbum... you need to stop coming up with good ideas or I will never finish my build.

Great idea though, looks good

1964 J-200 "Alice" Build Thread:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150066

1979 CJ-7 (s) - Status: Dismantled Hibernation

1981 J-10 - Status: Parts? Daily Driver? Lawn Ornament?

1993 Cherokee Sport - Status: Sold (408,000 miles)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:44 PM
327 Rambler

Hopefully, this will keep most of the krap out.

First, I had to remove these sections to get access into the body work. I’m considering a couple different options for reinstalling them.

I removed them because there’s no way to get your hand in there to address this mess, or get good paint coverage in there. These areas got the exact same rust removal, sealer, paint treatment I gave the lower areas. I could easily reach through this opening with one hand and touch my other hand placed through the lower opening. I would guestimate that with these two openings I was able to repair and treat 90% of the hidden area inside the cowl. The other 10% was all high side sheetmetal, so it will never see running or standing water accumulate.

I have a stack of these crawlspace/attic screens for the cabin. It’s approximately 1/4” grid. They’re about $3 a piece.

Cut/bend to fit and install so they slant towards the middle. Hopefully, that will help direct crud that direction to accumulate in the middle and help keep the screen clear longer. I used some buttonhead sheetmetal screws to attach them.

Last edited by Resbum : 03-31-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 PM
327 Rambler

I also had some fencing with 1/2" grid. I cut it to shape and when all the painting is done I’ll use seam sealer to attach it snuggly to the bottom side of the grill. That should stop any of the bigger stuff like leafs and branches from getting past the grill.

The finished product. If I paint the screens flat black you shouldn't even see them.

These are the two screens in relation to the 3/4” drain hole. Anything that does make it past the screens should be small enough to go out the drain with no problem. Time will tell.

When all was finished and done this mod, (drain and screens), took about two days and cost $20 in materials, excluding paint and rust converter.

Last edited by Resbum : 03-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:02 AM
327 Rambler

Brief Intermission

Brief Intermission

Last weekend was the huge western Washington Jeep swap meet at the state fairgrounds, about 5 miles from my shop. I decided to take a day off and go. Thanks BJ’s Offroad for the vendors pass!

While walking around I came to a booth selling bumper stickers, t-shirts, and other things. This was one of the things they had. It tickled my warped sense of humor and made me laugh.

Here’s something else that caught my eye. A very nicely setup cantilevered suspension. Sorry, I forgot to get the vendors name so I don’t know who makes it, but it’s extremely nice.

This was my first time to the swap meet, but it won’t be my last. There were businesses with booths right on down to the individuals selling used parts for all makes of vehicles. It took me the better part of a day to cover everything.

Speaking of the swap meet and BJ’s; after two years of helping me build the truck Brent and Ryan finally got a chance to see what they’ve been helping me build. My shop space was literally on their way to the fairgrounds so Brent and Ryan stopped by on their way there. It was nice to finally meet you Ryan. For those who remember him, I also saw Matt at BJ’s booth, at the swap meet. He said life’s treating him well.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:08 AM
327 Rambler

Here’s a teaser of things to come.

I have two grills for my truck. It’s nice to have a spare. They are so beat up that it would have been really tough to restore them to nice shiny like-new condition. Plus, that wouldn’t really fit the color scheme plans I have. While Brent and Ryan, from BJ’s, were at my shop I bounced some ideas off them that I’ve been considering for my grill work. Teaser- Primered, waiting for paint.

Raptor Bedliner- First impressions.
Since the floor is going to be covered with sound deadener and carpet I decided to do an acid test on the Raptor. I left it completely exposed to abuse while preparing the inside firewall for primer and paint. I’ve stood, sat, and moved around on it while it was covered in dirt, rust scale, and 60/120 grit sandpaper residue. As near as I can see there isn’t even a scratch on it. I’m impressed. Side note- All I can say about the U-TECH epoxy primer is, “It’s some tough S***. Period!"

Now, some info ALL FSJ owners need to be aware of.

The very back 6” of the floors were not replaced because the sheetmetal was still in good shape rust-wise. However, in preparing that area for paint I found stress cracks at most of the spot welds where the back of the floor rails are attached to the sheet metal. My conclusion is this must be a high stress area that over time fatigues the metal. Drill the ends of the cracks and tack weld back together. I haven’t seen what the heat did to the primer and Raptor on the bottom side of the floor yet, but I expect I’ll be recovering those spots.

A couple other things about the original Jeep manufacturing processes. After taking every bit of the cab down to bare metal I’m convinced the original Jeep seam sealer does more harm than good. Almost everywhere it was used the metal had rusted to some degree. It’s a really light, compressible, open cell material that apparently acts as a moisture sponge. Also, the original Jeep paint is some tough stuff. It’s been kind of a pain to strip. It’s so tough that it looks completely fine even when I’ve found a lot of rust under it. So, just be aware. Even though the paint may look fine doesn’t mean bad things aren’t going on under it.

As of this morning I’m ready to paint the last of the cab, with the exception of the outside of the back wall. It shouldn’t be too far in the future that I’ll be able to put the cab back on the chassis.

Last edited by Resbum : 03-17-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM
350 Buick

I have some rust under the sealant in that firewall/cowl joint. The problem was poorly applied sealant at the other side of the joint.

Since the access was bad, having to work through the cowl vent, the baboon with the gun totally missed the seam in some places and it wasn't tooled into the seam at all.

I've been applying Fertan at the top and letting it soak in.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
I have some rust under the sealant in that firewall/cowl joint. The problem was poorly applied sealant at the other side of the joint.

Since the access was bad, having to work through the cowl vent, the baboon with the gun totally missed the seam in some places and it wasn't tooled into the seam at all.

I've been applying Fertan at the top and letting it soak in.

Yeah, those seams had some pretty deep rust on my cab. But even seams that hadn't been exposed to water had surface rust anywhere the sealant had touched metal.

What finally convinced me the sealer acts as a moisture sponge was one spot on the firewall where, as you say, "the baboon with the gun" , accidently ran a 3" bead of the stuff and didn't clean up after himself. That bead of sealer was 5" from the nearest seam and had surface rust where it had stuck.

Last edited by Resbum : 03-17-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 AM

Really nice project!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 PM
327 Rambler

Thanks poolmike

Finally! 3months. That's how long it's taken me to learn bodywork, learn painting, debug my equipment and technic, then take it down to bare metal, dig out, remove, or treat any rust I could possibly reach, THEN get the cab painted. Everything except the outside of the back wall is done.

Everything left on the truck is flat, and most of that is already media blasted.

I've been pretty sick of working on the cab now for about 2 weeks, but I'm glad I did it right.

Today the cab saw its first daylight in its new suit.

Last edited by Resbum : 03-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Well it looks great! When should I drop mine off? lol

aa
Old 03-22-2013, 03:40 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil14
Well it looks great! When should I drop mine off? lol

aa
About 3 years after I die. Right now I have NO plans of ever doing another cab.

The 500th post. I never dreamed this thread would ever get this long.