What's your favorite/funniest/most notable comment about your FSJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SIUADOG
    232 I6
    • May 18, 2014

Ha ha! Love this thread....
    Just Empty Every Pocket

1988 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360
    727 TF
    No modifications so far... Yeah, I'll probably keep it stock.

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• 79 wagoneer
      232 I6
      • Aug 16, 2010

I had my Wagoneer at a local cruise-in night a year or two back and over heard a young boy walking with his dad point out my jeep and say "look dad, its just like the rustezes cars from Cars" (the animated disney movie). Couldnt help but laugh a little.
      1979 Wagoneer : Rustys Offroad 6" lift, 35" BFG AT's
      1995 XJ Cherokee: sold
      2002 TJ Wrangler: Rough Country 2.5" lift, 32" BFG AT's, Daily Driver

Comment

• acct21
        327 Rambler
        • May 20, 2014

It's old! I hate it! It's so ugly! I don't want anybody to see me in it! -

My 12-yr old daughter
        That's funny -- the quickest way to start a fight between my 12 year old daughter and her little brother is to ask which one of them wants to drive it when they get their license!

My wife is convinced we're going to have to buy another one.
        1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
          Banned
          • Mar 01, 2009

^ That's why I still have so many.

Both my kids each want to rive one. I'm building one for my daughter, My sone gets another I already built. And I'm not driving a non-Jeep, so I obviously need to keep one...and maybe a spare.

Comment

• Wagnstuff
            232 I6
            • Apr 30, 2012

Tinkerjeep, that's AWESOME that you are passing on the appreciation and love for jeeps to your kids AND that they embrace it!
            1989 GW 3'' lift, locking Airlocker rear, 408i FI crate motor(Chrysler)

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
              Banned
              • Mar 01, 2009

Well, it was my plan to supply them both with something simple to tune and maintain, and still relatively tough so it could withstand the occasional offroad excursion, planned or not. I know how to work on FSJs and have nearly enough to go around, so that was a hidden blessing.

That they actually like my Jeeps and are willing to help build or mod the Jeeps they get is a massive bonus!

Comment

• mdcptman
                Jeep Therapist
                • Apr 09, 2010

It's been a couple of years since I started this thread, anybody got any new stories?
                Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                88 Grand Wagoneer
                360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
                Edelbrock 2131
                Holley 600
                Hydroboost
                Hedman headers
                Dual exhaust
                MSD6A, TFI
                Digital Gauges
                Rusty's 2" Lift
                31x10.5 15LT15s
                Quote From Friend's Mom:
                "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• R69US
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 06, 2015

I had a pretty nicely done '64 C10 that I was totally happy with. Owned it for right at 20 years. My dad kept telling me about this guy in his neighborhood with "a nice old Jeep" project that he wanted me to look at. To be honest, I thought he meant like a CJ or something, and I wasn't even remotely interested. After all, I had finally gotten my C10 to the point where it was a great driver- 4 wheel discs, 700R4 trans, a healthy 350, good suspension...it was a really good, useable truck. Well, he told me one day that the guy had planned on swapping in a newer Vortec-style 350, and since the project had obviously stalled, maybe I could get a deal on the motor. I bit, and we went over there. 30 minutes later I was trying to explain to my wife how I'd just accidentally cut a check for a fairly sizeable amount of money but that it was okay because I was going to sell my Chevy.
                  I loved my C10, but I'll tell you, I get more comments on my Jeep than I ever did with the Chevy. The biggest time suck is trying to explain to people that Jeep did, in fact, actually make 3/4 ton trucks from the factory. I'm amazed at how many folks just flat out don't know the things even exist.

Comment

• ZackN920
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 18, 2015

Well, think about it... Jeep hasn't made a full size pickup, in what? 30 year's?! It's not too much a surprise people don't know them. Unfortunately they were made in lower numbers compared to everything else.

Anyway's, on to mine... When I bought it, I drove it to the local gas station in the small town it came from. There was a real enthusiastic guy there, a little older than me(upper 20's) who liked it. He didn't even know what it was, but he loved it!
                    "Holy s#!^, cool wagon! What is it, and what year?" I told him that it was a Full size jeep, a Grand Wagoneer, and that it was a '90. "Really?, i've never seen any jeep's that looked like this. Looks like it's straight out of the 70's!" Than he asked if id wanted to sell it... I told him I just bought it, not even a half hour ago!
                    I was surprised he wanted it. At that time it was a little worse off looking than it is now. Also stalled twice getting it to that gas station. Not running well.

Driving it around town, I've gotten some interesting looks. Not much talk at gas station's. Few people tellin' me about knowing someone, or a family member that had one several years ago. Some people telling me "I haven't seen one of them in 20 years!" Had a few people flash there lights at me while in it. No cops around so I figured they appreciated seeing the old wagon driving around.
                    I've also seen a few people take a photo or two of it.
                    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                    ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                      Cherokee Outlaw
                      • Jan 10, 2006

1. "Nice Bronco..."

2. "Cool old Scout!..."

3. "Nice, uh...Wagoneer?"

4. Them: "What is that?"
                      Me: "It's a Cherokee"
                      Them: "Really, it looks kind of like a Wagoneer"
                      Me: "It's like a two door Wagoneer"

5. "Oh man them old Jeeps with those Dodge V8's are unstoppable!"

6. "That 4.0 was a great motor..."

Last edited by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81; 02-16-2017, 08:13 AM.
                      -Jonny B.
                      1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                      7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                      AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                      NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                      F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                      R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                      1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                      1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                      1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• deckroid
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 05, 2016

Originally posted by cccamoj10
                        My son Hink was about to get his drivers license. So I asked him what he would prefer to drive, a car or truck?
                        "A Truck."
                        I figured you talk be a Redneck. So do you want a truck, or a real truck. We can get a ranger, Isuzu pup...
                        "A Real truck, dad."
                        one more question will determine what you get. Do you want somthing that was born to be in the woods, or..
                        "Yes"
                        OK, that leaves out Ford, Chevy Dodge and most of the imports.
                        "WHAT, NO"
                        We are going to get you a JEEP pickup.
                        "Oh, DAD, JEEP doesn't a make pickup truck.
                        Son, it was JEEP Pickups that made the trails most guys in Chevys and Fords get stuck on.
                        Two weeks later we drove up to Tennessee, loaded an 83 J20 with a 360 and a 4 speed with the Granny low. I put Hink behind the wheel and we started down I 75. We were bogging down to about 45 at the crest of a hill, and got passed by about 50 to 75 jeeps on way to an event. Laying on horns and "Thumbs Up" as they went by.
                        And we got it for $500 and a used shotgun.
                        "It's gonna be a cool ride. Right Dad?"
                        you betcha.
                        The look,
                        PRICELESS.
                        Sounds like a C.W. McCall song...

I have a few...

1. "Them Jeeps were great. Until Mopar killed them in 1985"

2. Various cat calls from the high school boys when I go to pick up kids

3. "I had one of those until it..." insert various answers... caught fire, broke down, threw a rod, and my worst... got 5k from Obama for it (that one torqued me SO much because I would have given him that much in cash for that beauty... an 87 that was garaged it's whole life)

I have a friend who refuses to ride with me in it as he thinks it's going to break down. Even though I have pulled his sorry butt out of snowbanks 3 times this winter.

Lots of folks wave or strike up conversations. My wife likes it. My kids love it. My insurance agent doesn't know how to value it. (right now it's at 5k until I paint it) All in all, I would say it was a great replacement for our minivan.

Comment

• mdcptman
                          Jeep Therapist
                          • Apr 09, 2010

In the last year or so, I have finally gotten the GW running good, and fixed the ac, so I decided to join a 4wd club, NOLA 4X4, to try a little wheeling. At first, I was one of only 2 FSJs. The other was a non running 79 Cherk. Now there are 4 FSJS in the club, and one of my buddies with an awesome tricked out JKU said he wants to get a GW to be his daily driver, because he enjoyed riding in mine so much! Now THAT'S funny. Again....have you SEEN my jeep?! Scroll back to the beginning of this thread.
                          Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                          88 Grand Wagoneer
                          360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
                          Edelbrock 2131
                          Holley 600
                          Hydroboost
                          Hedman headers
                          Dual exhaust
                          MSD6A, TFI
                          Digital Gauges
                          Rusty's 2" Lift
                          31x10.5 15LT15s
                          Quote From Friend's Mom:
                          "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• conehead
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 24, 2006

Last summer I was at autozone with the 87 wagoneer. When I came out there was a guy leaving a note on the windshield. He wanted to buy it. When I told him I wasn't interested in selling it he said "that's what they all say" and insisted I take his phone number anyway in case I change my mind. I also have an 87 J20 with a cummins diesel in it. I have a cummins emblem on the tailgate. I had a guy in a dodge truck following me to close for my comfort for a couple miles so I pulled over to let him go by but he pulled over too. He couldn't believe I could fit a cummins in it and said it was the "best looking truck he had ever seen".

Comment

• bufurd
                              327 Rambler
                              • Apr 13, 2008

Putting over 103,000 miles on Humpty (74 J20) in the last 2 1/2 years I can't count the stories. My favorite is still when I visited my brother in law the first time. His 18 year old son came out of his shop, took one look at Humpty, shook his head and said "your truck gives me a boner".
                              Current fleet
                              Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
                              Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
                              Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
                              Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
                              07 JK Wife bought new...
                              13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• Frank G
                                232 I6
                                • Apr 20, 2011

By far this jeep gets far more comments than any other jeep Iv had or have Even more than my restored 44 Willys and that in full war paint with an m1. I assume people look at my MB as just a wrangler.

I always get the "is that real wood?" Comment

I did get a women ask me "What is that, which side is the front?" She seemed normal and got out of a new Honda Pilot . Just confused the heck out of me "Which side is the front". WTF?

99% of the people love it and make positive comments almost all citing a Wagoneer in their life at some point and how much it was loved.

Once in a while someone will come up with a comment like, "Those jeeps were rittled with problems or they catch fire easily". I often don't even respond to stupid or negative comments.

I had a guy come up to me and ask me if it was for sale I told him no and he said everything's for sale. I said what's your offer (Cause you never know). He says $4000 cash. I looked at him and said I'm into for $15k not to mention the blood sweat and fights with my wife about it. I told him 30k would buy it but anything over $20k I would consider obviously we never had a deal.
                                Last edited by Frank G; 02-22-2017, 01:11 PM.
                                Frank G
                                16 X Jeep Owner

19 WK2 Limited X -Daily Driver
                                15 WK2 Altitude-Wife's
                                05 WK Laredo 4.7l, Leather, Tow(Reinherited/orig owner )
                                94 ZJ Laredo - 5.2l , Leather, Tow
                                87 SJ - Restored / Survivor
                                86 XJ Laredo - Survivor (Dad bought new in 85)
                                44 Willy's MB -Restored

Previous Jeeps: ALL MISSED
                                15 WK Limited 14 WK Limited 09 KK Limted 11 WK2 Laredo 08 JK Sahara 01 WJ Laredo 97 XJ Sport 95 XJ Sport 84 XJ Chief

Comment

Working...
                                X