International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 07-13-2000, 11:12 AM

Question

I was changing my oil pan gasket today when I noticed an electrical connection that was not connected.
The connection looked like a wall socket except it was round. It was right above the oil filter.
I thought it was the oil sending unit, but the sending unit was already connected and had been working fine.
I found the place it was supposed to connect to, connected it up, and did not really notice any difference when I cranked her up.

Does anyone know what this does?

Thanks

Oh, typo in the topic. "What does this do?"

[This message has been edited by JERRY88GW (edited July 13, 2000).]
Old 07-13-2000, 11:43 AM
Master Mechanic

Wink

I will take a guess and say "block heater"

but what the heck do I know about cold climates, as I have never lived more than 10 miles from the pacific..!!!

Peace...................BartG
Old 07-13-2000, 01:32 PM
BobBarry

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JERRY88GW:
I was changing my oil pan gasket today when I noticed an electrical connection that was not connected.
The connection looked like a wall socket except it was round. It was right above the oil filter.
I thought it was the oil sending unit, but the sending unit was already connected and had been working fine.
I found the place it was supposed to connect to, connected it up, and did not really notice any difference when I cranked her up.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This prevents your choke from heating up if the ignition is on but the engine isn't running; if it did heat up, your choke would open even if your truck was actually cold, and wouldn't start properly.

Since the choke is also fed from a choke-stove in the manifold, it probably still heats up enough from that to shut off when the engine is warmed up.

------------------
Bob Barry
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
* '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list] http://studentweb.providence.edu/~rbarry/wheels/
Old 07-13-2000, 02:52 PM

Talking

Wow that makes since. I did notice that my jeep cranked right up after I connected that thing a ma jig. Cool!

Question: Soon, I'm going to put on a new edelbrock manifold and carb. Is this electrical device still needed once I install the new products?

Thanks,

jerry
Old 07-14-2000, 02:32 AM
BobBarry

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JERRY88GW:

Wow that makes since. I did notice that my jeep cranked right up after I connected that thing a ma jig. Cool!

Question: Soon, I'm going to put on a new edelbrock manifold and carb. Is this electrical device still needed once I install the new products?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you run an electric choke, there's no reason to remove it; just plug in your existing choke wire to the connector on the Edelbrock carb. If you're running a manual or hot-air-only choke, then it would make sense to remove it

------------------
Bob Barry
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
* '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list] http://studentweb.providence.edu/~rbarry/wheels/