International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 07-06-2000, 09:09 AM
Master Mechanic

Cool

I am in the process of building a new exhaust and need to know what side of the vehicle the heat riser goes on? you know..that little heat activated door.

I am blessed to live in sunny Southern California but our smog laws have much to be desired....what all that means: I HAVE to use the heat riser.

Peace..............BartG
Old 07-06-2000, 09:36 AM
Grease Monkey

Wink

It's on the passenger side on my '84.
Old 07-06-2000, 09:38 AM
Gear Head

Wink

Same here.

------------------
84 GW
360 NP229
Old 07-06-2000, 09:58 AM
lrrh

Lightbulb

Always on the passenger side. Oh...and I have a new one if you'd be interested. **** bastards at Trak Auto ordered me the one for the 360. My Wag is a 70...thus Buick 350. Anyway.....I would lose 20% restocking fee cause it was a special order. Not to them. Cheap if you want one.

-LRRH-
70 Wag
Old 07-06-2000, 10:10 AM
Third Member

Wink

Veepster, are you building an exhaust system from scratch?

Edelbrock makes a nice set of 16-guage headers with the AIR tubes already welded in place. Thorley and Doug Thorley make 14-guage headers, nickel plated, that leave you the option of using the AIR tubes or not. All of these systems are intended for use with the factory heat riser valve, which is on the passenger side and placed between the manifold/header and the Y-pipe.
Old 07-07-2000, 07:52 PM
p.todd

Question

Veepsteer,
I also live in S. Cal. I need to replace my Cat and muffler. I was wondering what you were going to use?

After some research on other members pages I've concluded it is not a bad idea (and cheaper too) to stick w/ the stock manifolds and 2.5" pipes. However a high flow cat and high flow muffler are difinately the way I want to go. Bob Barrys' pages list a high flow Random Technologies Cat and a Flowmaster big block 70 series muffler (the quietest of the flowmasters-which is what I want. I've got tons of neighbors who sleep w/ their windows open). What brands/models of components were you planning on using? I also figure I should get it SMOGed afterwards to make sure they didn't use a lower capacity cat.

I'm about to start looking for a shop to do the work, any recomendations here in S. Cal (Los Angeles-Hollywood area)?

Thanks,

------------------
-Phil
'91 GW "The Swank Tank"
360/727/229/+2" lift