International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 07-07-2000, 09:36 AM
Master of B.S.

Question

How do I know where to put the new engine mounts in my wagoneer? I just figured that I would put them in the same spot as the old ones. If I put them in the same location as the old ones what guarantee do I have that the engines are balanced the same? I hate to weld the engine mounts in place and then have to do it all over again because the tranny mount does not line up. So should I go with the old location or measure where they were in the cherokee and then mount them that way? I need help fast on this one because the welder is coming over tonight and this is the only time he can do it this weekend.

------------------
'67 Wagoneer
'79 Cherokee Chief
Swapping parts so I will let you know the stats when I am done.

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeeps."
Old 07-07-2000, 09:47 AM

Wink

if you dont wanna make new driveshafts, measure distance from tranny mount to motor mount to come up with engine location. this should put... wait a minute. you are installing auto and q trac in place of manual and d20,correct? you need to get the quadra trac in the same relative location as it was in the chief so tha you can use those drivehafts. in thacase,id measure from pinion to trans mount from both front and rear axles on the chief,and then use those measurements to get the trans crossmember in the same place,then figure the engine mounts from there. this is assuming that youre using the axles from the chief as well.

hope that helps. if youre planning on custom driveshafts anyway,it probably doesnt really matter where you sit the engine,as long as there is enough room around the fan,and any accessories,etc. theye are probably close enough in weight that it isnt really a concern.

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/amc 20
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd