X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Barry
    Jeep Doctor
    • Apr 09, 2000

It's not the ammeter sending the surges through the system, but the alternator. Actually, however, the problem should be less with a one-wire alternator, as the voltage-regulator is reading the charge off the charging wire internally in the case, so you don't get the "superhet" effect you get with the feedback through the yellow wire and the sensing lead.

Bypass your ammeter, and check the condition of the red charging wire and the yellow wire. The surges in the alternator output are either caused by a sudden fluctuating drag on the charging system (sign of failing ammeter), or on a bad voltage-regulator in the alternator.

In addition, it would be essential to add a fusible-link to that charging wire, as your alternator will keep pumping out the juice no matter what happens to the rest of the wiring-system, whereas the three-wire at least has the safety built in of cutting off if the wiring burns-up.
    1987 J-20
    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• Oracle
      327 Rambler
      • Apr 07, 2002

Is this same amp meter /wiring routing the same in all years and models of FSJ? or are there some differences between years and models? Seems strange there wasn't a recall or design mod somewhere along the way. Sounds like a tort lawyer's dream.

And for the nay sayers, at least in the boneyards I've been through there have been a 'substantial' number of deceased GW's present with serious fire damage in the dash area...
      83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper

Comment

• Oracle
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 07, 2002

Oh, and WoodyHank, welcome to the board. Gotta wonder about that moniker tho, would not have guessed another feminine type 'snuck' in here incognito [img]smile.gif[/img]
        83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper

Comment

• Joe Guilbeau
          304 AMC
          • Apr 17, 2002

Not a fan of the "One Wire" alternator set ups.

First you must have a regulator inside the alternator that supports a one wire hook up.

How could you tell? If you purchased the alternator with the regulator installed for a one wire hook up, then you are probably OK.

There are several other reasons that a one wire alternator is a solution to a non-existant problem, and you are better off just forgeting about these.

Trust me on this, or I will have to get technical.

In short (pun intended) you are sensing the alternator output instead of sensing the the voltage "downstream" from the output of the alternator, which is a much better design philosophy.
          Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper

Comment

• WoodyHank
            327 Rambler
            • Sep 22, 2003

Okay, ammeter is getting fixed tomorrow (along with fuel sender install..separate post). So I read through all these posts again, and I'm wondering if I can stick with MTN GOATS instructions on Page One and be good to go (the debate got a bit confusing)

TGreese: still waiting on that explanation re: the difference between math and arithmetic

Oracle: I did not sneak in here 'incognito'; "I announced my presence with authority" (yes, stolen line)

Comment

Working...
            X