International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Engine

Old 07-20-2000, 05:51 AM
FSJ Maniac

Cool

I noticed that the CTO was taken out of the loop on my grandfathers 78 Chero. The vacuum hose should come from the EGR to the CTO and then to the carb. Well his goes straight to the carb from the EGR. He had just taken it to a mechanic who had done this. It runs great (better than mine, sniffle).

My curious self went and talked to the mechanic (Jim) about this. He said that he suspected the CTO was bad and at this altitude and temp in AZ the CTO wasn't really needed. He put the vacuum line above the throttle plate so no vacuum at idle and a gradual increase in vacuum when the plate opens during acceleration.

Any comments on this situation?

By the way, have you gotten your IFSJA Sticker yet? Click on the link below to check them out.

------------------
My Home Page IFSJA Sticker
83 Wagoneer Brougham, AMC 360, Chrysler 999 Auto, NP 229 Txfr, F/Diff Dana 44F, R/Diff AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho RS 9000's, 2" rear blocks.
Old 07-20-2000, 06:38 AM
BobBarry

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by irbob:
I noticed that the CTO was taken out of the loop on my grandfathers 78 Chero. The vacuum hose should come from the EGR to the CTO and then to the carb. Well his goes straight to the carb from the EGR. He had just taken it to a mechanic who had done this. It runs great (better than mine, sniffle).

My curious self went and talked to the mechanic (Jim) about this. He said that he suspected the CTO was bad and at this altitude and temp in AZ the CTO wasn't really needed. He put the vacuum line above the throttle plate so no vacuum at idle and a gradual increase in vacuum when the plate opens during acceleration.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the CTO does is prevent the EGR from opening before the engine is warmed up. If the EGR kicks in when the engine is cold, it can run rougher.

Since the CTO is only a $10-$20 part, it's really not all that much of a sacrifice to replace it. Heck, though, if your uncle doesn't notice the engine stumble when it's still cold, then more power to him; leave it off and be happy. Of course, the EGR valve itself could be non-functional, in which case he may as well just plug the vacuum port entirely.

------------------
Bob Barry<UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
* '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list]http://studentweb.providence.edu/~rbarry/wheels/
Old 07-20-2000, 06:43 AM
Master Mechanic

Wink

I would have connected the vacuum advance to full ported vacuum.

it seems from my unfortunate in depth study of this the CTO limits vacuum advance during warmup for emmissions reasons only.

after warmup it runs off full port vacuum......attempting to guess how much vacuum it needs and where to put the port would be totally guessing...

kinda seems like reinventing the wheel

Peace..................BartG